Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Hi all
Wondering if anyone has had any experience loading for one of these rifles?

I've loaded for a number of 7x57's over the years but seems that I've got a bit of a problem child on my hands here.
It's a Brno 21H, shooting shotgun groups with Norma 150gr factory ammo, 140gr Core lockts seems to shoot ok maybe 2" groups but very slow.

I loaded some 154gr interlocks with H414 and got nervous shooting 48.5gr in that rifle, my cases stretched considerably.
Those loads would group two bullets well and one would be a flyer, but it grouped about 1.5" very consistently.

If any of you have loaded for this model of rifle can you tell me what bullet weight worked for you?
Any loads that I should try?

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Brno 21h and load 140 gr bullets for it. I have little interest in heavy bullets in that rifle.

Since 140's shoot well for us I suggest we stick with them.

Where did your cases stretch? FL Size them only enough so that you can feel the case when you close the bolt on it.

Last edited by Savage_99; 09/24/18.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine loved factory RWS 162gr KS. This is going back 20 years so I’m not sure that load is even available today. Maybe give some heavier bullets a try....

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
There is a small screw towards the front of the stock that draws down the barrel,try turning that screw very slightly in both directions while testing the loads. You will find a sweet spot.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Savage_99
I have a Brno 21h and load 140 gr bullets for it. I have little interest in heavy bullets in that rifle.

Since 140's shoot well for us I suggest we stick with them.

Where did your cases stretch? FL Size them only enough so that you can feel the case when you close the bolt on it.

I'm glad your's shoot 140gr bullets well, I was really hoping to shoot 140's out of mine.
Which bulletis it that yours shoot well?

It stretches all over pretty much as if the chamber is not very tight.
But what I noticed that made me a bit scared was that there is a web forming at the bottom of those cases.
These were remington cases. I've compared them to the cases that I shot the 140gr corelocks out of and the corelocks don't have that.

I'd hate to ruin this rifle/rearrange my face so I'm playing it safe.

Mine loved factory RWS 162gr KS. This is going back 20 years so I’m not sure that load is even available today. Maybe give some heavier bullets a try....

I loaded some 160gr sierra's with H414 and will load some of the same with IMR 4350
I hope that it will shoot these well as I plan on using it as a moose or elk load.
(140gr hopefully as a load for deer).

There is a small screw towards the front of the stock that draws down the barrel,try turning that screw very slightly in both directions while testing the loads. You will find a sweet spot.

That's a great idea! I never though of that but it does make a lot of sense. Thank you.

I only have two rifles, this one being my all rounder (Moose, elk, bear and deer) so I hope to have a few different loads for it for all of the animals and environments we have here in AB
My other rifle is a 270win that I have a good deer/sheep load for, but its a very utilitarian rifle and not very exciting to hunt with.

Can't wait to go try some 140gr loads now...

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hoarse, my 21h in 7x57 likes the screw turned back out quite loose. If I move it even a half turn in either direction ,the groups open up.Your gun may be different.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My objective with sighting a rifle in or finding that 'sweet spot' is having the rifle fire it's first shot from it's cold barrel right on! And to be able to do it again from a cold barrel tomorrow or make a group.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Autofive
Hoarse, my 21h in 7x57 likes the screw turned back out quite loose. If I move it even a half turn in either direction ,the groups open up.Your gun may be different.

I think I may just remove it at first, see how she does and then start turning it in a half turn at a time.
Thanks for this!

H
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by Savage_99
My objective with sighting a rifle in or finding that 'sweet spot' is having the rifle fire it's first shot from it's cold barrel right on! And to be able to do it again from a cold barrel tomorrow or make a group.

I think that's a very pragmatic approach, I follow more or less the same approach, when testing loads, I wait at least 20minutes between shots usually my barrel is cold by then.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 30 invisible), 2,179 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.