-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am selling my Barrett Fieldcraft 30-06 rifle. New this summer, broke it in then took it to Alaska for my Dall Sheep Hunt. I shot it approximately 120 times working up a load for my 175 Barnes LRX’s. The load I settled on was 54.3 grains RL 16, FED 210 GM, 3.364" OAL. I got them to shoot right at 1 MOA out to 450 yards, but didn't shoot it beyond that. The rifle was great to pack around the hills, but I shoot a slightly heavier rifle with a thumbhole stock better. Going to build a 280 AI. This rifle is in good shape but does have character marks from the sheep hunt. There are a few small scratches in the stock, one small dinger in the butt plate between the pad and stock, a small ding on the outer end of barrel, and some marks on the barrel from being strapped to my stone glacier pack. I believe they showed up in the pictures reasonably well. The rings come with the rifle and are Talley 30mm. Asking $1350 tyd for a proven sheep bang stick. I do have dies and once fired brass available if interested as well as loaded ammo (recipe above)
if you are local or willing to pay shipping.
Thanks

[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=18hlh6BFcJ3Yf2Ge5ONobvlGHL20GK5fO[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YhRIQfKD3h1qsYnTTTtXD3DAKx2N7lOd[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1_9yGludz8397OPmRZ_nsNsu10GAF7OJh[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NbasDjubqOZIQ7rB2zg28QtHhDW3FWKf[/img]
[img]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UCBYYA99hPplPc-NT4uSsWg_Q4REHjmk[/img]

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Tag

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Congrats on your sheep!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Beautiful Dall !!!!!! Congrats! Tell us about shot distance, etc. if you will. My bucket list hunt.

Thanks

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yes, very nice sheep!

Just because I am wandering around doesn't mean I am lost.
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks, the sheep hunt was an amazing adventure. I shot like a jack wagon and am not proud of the fact I had to shoot 5 times and only hit him 3. First shot was at 205 yards. We had been sitting exposed where a smaller ram had pegged us for 45 minutes waiting to see if the third ram in the group to show himself to make sure he wasn’t better before shot. We were 50 yards from our packs and jackets when the wind picked up and we were shivering like crazy when I decided to shoot. I had my guide lean up against me for the first shot to try to steady some of the shivers out of my scope. Didn’t work.... I missed the first shot, he ran down to the next little knob at I’m guessing 240 and I hit him. He started stumbling so I jacked another round in and hit him again. He dropped immediately and started sliding down the hill upside down with all four legs straight up in the air. The congratulations started and he went out of sight. We got down to where he should have been and couldn’t see anything. We were debating which knob he was on for each shot and where we last saw him when the guide saw him coming out of the gulley below us trying to make it around the next ridge. There was blood coming out his nose and he had a broken leg, but was still going and headed in to some real crappy stuff that would have been tough to retrieve. I quickly sat down and shot and missed at 275-300. Gun was now empty and ram is still moving. I know better than not to reload the magazine when walking up on an animal and have seen too many hunters make that mistake, but I had gotten caught up in the excitement and made the mistake. Luckily I had stuffed my extra bullets in my pants pocket and quickly jerked out my ammo carrier grabbed one round and jammed my walking ax into the shake hillside for a rest. The ram was on the lowest cliff band and almost out of sight and I neared down and made the last shot count. I broke his back and he stuck on the 6’x12’ ledge. It was a little dicey getting over to him as we had to cross to the other side of the ridge he was on and decend down a steep but broken cliff face. Good thing he stayed put or it would have been a 2500’ tumble back down the hill we had already climbed once that day. My first hit I had apparently shot him in the hind quarter, second hit because of angle took out close side lung and broke off side front leg and last shot spined him. Not pretty but at least we got him. This was the absolute worst shooting I had ever done on an animal and the most expensive hunt to pull that crap on. He was 7 years old and taped 35 3/4” for those interested. I hunted 14 A metal creek which is an any ram unit. This was the best of 32 rams we saw that we could physically get to. Super tough country. Killed him on day 4 and estimate we did 23-24k elevation and about 20 miles. The day we killed him was 7-7500’. Definitely have the bug. Back home at work all I can think about is how to afford another sheep hunt!

Last edited by sako300RUM; 09/28/18.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
How much does the rifle weigh? Those mountain hunts can be very tough, but nothing can beat the sense of accomplishment when you finally bag your trophy.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 09/28/18.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Spec says 5.5 lbs

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Sold on another site

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,033
Posts18,500,605
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.