-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am looking for a lightweight hunting rifle in 308 and have decided on a Tikka. Now I am trying to decide between the Lite Vs. Compact version. I know the compact has a 20 inch barrel and the Lite has a 22 inch but are there any other differences between the two? The LGS here in town has plenty of the Lite models but I can't find a compact version. The gun will primarily be used for hunting inside 200 yds in stands and climbers.

HR IC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go with the lite, your ears will thank you!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a 59-year-old member of this group who began shooting 55 years ago you need electronic hearing protection in the field with every caliber. The reduction in noise between 20 and 22 inch barrels is inconsequential, both permanently impair your hearing.

I'm going to use E-muffs and suppressors on most every hunt I go on this fall.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You probably dont want the compact. The compact has a shorter cut down stock. The Lite has the full length stock. My 8 year old has a compact in 7/08 and it fits him really well. I am only 5’7” with shorter arms and the compact stock is really short on me. My Lite fits me perfect however.

Last edited by Motown; 10/04/18.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Motown
You probably dont want the compact. The compact has a shorter cut down stock. The Lite has the full length stock. My 8 year old has a compact in 7/08 and it fits him really well. I am only 5’7” with shorter arms and the compact stock is really short on me. My Lite fits me perfect however.

I am 6'6" and this is my concern. I dont want to get something that is too short and the concern is the compact will be. Have you played around with the trigger to see how light it will adjust?

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
If you want the shorter barrel , go with the compact . The three that I bought for my sons have the spacer for the stock and the extra butt pad to make it full size .

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by scbigben

I am 6'6" and this is my concern. I dont want to get something that is too short and the concern is the compact will be. Have you played around with the trigger to see how light it will adjust?

the compact comes with a spacer to make the stock full length, but it is ugly AF. otherwise, i guarantee the stock on the compact will be too short for you. only other difference is 20” v 22” barrel.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I havent needed too since the gun is being used by my 8 year old and I dont want it too light. The trigger is like any other tikka so getting it down around 3lbs shouldnt be an issue.

Another option would be to get the compact and just find a full size stock from a lite. You could certainly sell the compact stock quickly and you would be out nothing and have a stock that fits and doesnt look fugly with spacers.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a good scope in the 3x9 range? I am looking for something with good low light capabilities for under $500

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks for the info. Any suggestions on a good scope in the 3x9 range? I am looking for something with good low light capabilities for under $500

If you are looking to keep it under $500 I would suggest either a Leupold VX2 3-9, VX3i 3.5-10 or the Meopota Meopro 3-9. The VX2 can be had for $300 or less, the VX3 around $399 and the Meopta around $4-$500. All are lightweight and very clear.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I recently purchased the T3x Lite Stainless in 7mm-08. I would rather have had the Compact models 20" barrel for the type of hunting I do, but the stock on the Lite fits me really well and I really didn't want to fool around with the spacer. I'm 5'10" with average build.

Last edited by greenmtndave; 10/05/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd go Lite so that I can have it in stainless.

Originally Posted by greenmtndave
I would rather have had the Compact models 20" barrel for the type of hunting I do, but the stock on the Lite fits me really well and I really didn't want to fool around with the spacer.

For $50 to $60 your smith can cut & crown it at any length (over 16") that you want.

Jerry

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 10/05/18.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
I'd go Lite so that I can have it in stainless.

Originally Posted by greenmtndave
I would rather have had the Compact models 20" barrel for the type of hunting I do, but the stock on the Lite fits me really well and I really didn't want to fool around with the spacer.

For $50 to $60 your smith can cut & crown it at any length (over 16") that you want.

Jerry

Yes, I plan to have it cut to 20" in the off season.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a compact in 308 and I love it . The 20" barrel makes it handle great and the accuracy is equal to my other Tikka .The spacer on the compact stock makes it the exact length as the T3 Lite . I was fine with the stock myself but I traded even for a brand new T3 Lite standard stock here on the Fire . Several members were looking for a compact stock at that time and were willing to swap . I'm sure you would love the compact in 308 .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,272 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,389
Posts18,488,664
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.