Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Mike74
It's a pain to replace those rubber O-rings in a 760. I've done it. Without it they turn into rattle traps.

Then you read too many internet stories and don’t shoot enough. I guarantee you I have shot them more than most and have never had to change one. You scent will scare more critters than a 760/7600 ever will. If a buck heats my gun “rattle” it’s too late for him to do anything about it at that point.

Xs 2

I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.
I personally have 4 and have had 2 or 3 more — none rattled.

I have friends that own & hunt them.....none rattled.

Yes, I know ‘some’ rattle BUT I don’t know How they were treated or mistreated.

Secondly, why do you need a metal DUST cover ? Don’t.

Thirdly, LOTS of machinery & engines use O ring gaskets. Why don’t you replace them?

Fourthly, the muzzle blast not only covers any noise but you can be reloaded before the shot sound is gone.

Jerry

Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elelbean
In your experience is the muzzle blast on a 7600 Carbine going to be a lot worse than a 22 inch barrel 7600 or 22 inch bolt for that matter?

It never bothered me.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
In your experience is the muzzle blast on a 7600 Carbine going to be a lot worse than a 22 inch barrel 7600 or 22 inch bolt for that matter?

It’s not a blast that will scare you or anything. But yes, it’s dofferent than a 22” barreled rifle. It’s louder, and I guess I would say “jumpier”. Not uncomfortable tho. I think the recoil from a .308 in a 760/7600 is worse than any of the others I’ve shot.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It's a pain to replace those rubber O-rings in a 760. I've done it. Without it they turn into rattle traps.

Then you read too many internet stories and don’t shoot enough. I guarantee you I have shot them more than most and have never had to change one. You scent will scare more critters than a 760/7600 ever will. If a buck heats my gun “rattle” it’s too late for him to do anything about it at that point.

Kiss ass you bitch.

Ohhhh! Dirty talk. Lmao. Don’t be mad because you got called for your BS.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Xs 2

I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.

Secondly, why do you need a metal DUST cover ? Don’t.

Thirdly, LOTS of machinery & engines use O ring gaskets. Why don’t you replace them?

Fourthly, the muzzle blast not only covers any noise but you can be reloaded before the shot sound is gone.

Jerry

Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

I have a 7600 30-06 in my safe with probably over 2000 rounds through it. It’s a sportsman, birch stock cheap ass model. Unlike you...original O-ring.

Jwall and SKane have shot these more than I, and you don’t hear them squeaking about o-rings and rattled. The only ones that do that are people tha “heard” from a friend, not with actual experience. Like I said. The deer will smell your outhouse wipe job long before they hear your gun rattle.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
It sure seemed alot worse to me. Instant thunder clap that left
the ears ringing. You could feel the pressure wave as if somebody slapped you over the ears with the palm of their hand.The muzzle flash at last light was pretty spectacular too.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'll also vote 7600 carbine. Have carried my 30-06 through thickets, swamps and over mountains in all kinds of nasty weather for many years. Reliable as an anvil and great handling with a 1.5-5x Leupold on board. I have a total of six 760/7600 in the safe and never had any of them rattle or let me down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't hear it from anyone. I replaced an o-ring myself on a 760 .270. If you need to know how to do it I can explain it. Because I know from first hand experience.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Jwall and SKane have shot these more than I, and you don’t hear them squeaking about o-rings and rattled. The only ones that do that are people tha “heard” from a friend, not with actual experience. Like I said. The deer will smell your outhouse wipe job long before they hear your gun rattle.

I have replaced an o-ring or two but it's a SOP and due more due to anal retentiveness, just as I do on my 1100's and 11-87's.
With regards to rattling, yeah, some can rattle more than others but I handle my 7600's by holding the forearm - novel concept, eh? laugh

And when I forget my rack-pack, I just jiggle the forearm. whistle
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They can't be worse than me shuffling a round into the chamber with a Marlin when I'm looking at a deer, or bolting one in with a Remington.

The lone 760 I have might have a little rattle, never really noticed it, never really cared. Far more concerned with defeating their nose. YMMV

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
While I love the lever actions and grew up reading about the 760s used by the Benoits my best luck shooting deer in thick woods still hunting and also while running dogs has been a Steyr Mannlicher Model M Professional .270 Winchester with a Leupold 6x42 with a German #4 reticle. It has worked from 10 feet to 400+ yards

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

1 B >> I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.

1. >> Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

Mike how can you come to that conclusion ? I have known 1 that rattled AND some here reported they had one that rattled. NEVER said they didn't.

My Dad had the FIRST 760 that I ever saw. It was @ 1960 or so, I got it from him years before he passed. It NEVER rattled.

I personally have HAD 760s since the 70s and THEN the Model Sixes (6s) when they came out.
My first Model Six is a 270 W and I got it shortly after 1981. I hunted it for years and killed LOTS of deer with it. My Son owns it now.....
still does NOT rattle.

Absolutely NONE of mine rattle and the O rings are not rotted. I know it happens. I don't know WHY but it does.
It does NOT happen to ALL of them.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

elel - you ask this ? of me and I can't answer it because I never owned a 760/7600 Carbine. Some have answered yes and others not so much. Seems to me a personal perception.

I did own, shoot, & hunt a 77 UL in 308 W which had a 20" bll. I didn't notice it being louder than others >> however I was shooting MAGNUMS as well at the time. That probably had something to do with it.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by SKane

[Linked Image]

Nice looking rifle. wink

[Linked Image]

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
elelbean,

IF I could give you advice, it would be a PUMP-RIFLE over the other 2 choices BUT not a 7600. = There are FAR TOO many "near new" Model 760 rifles/carbines available at a GOOD PRICE to settle for the 7600.

Fwiw, I collect Remington pump rifles & currently own 8 in different calibers from .243 to 9.3x62mm.
The ONLY 7600 that I have KEPT is the 'Unissued" Model 7615P police carbine in 5.56NATO, that I bought "police department surplus".
(My Darla has "adopted" it, as she says, "It's just my size." = She 60" tall, 90# & she is DEADLY ACCURATE with the little 5.56 carbine out to beyond 200M.)

Note: I looked > 2 years for a MINT 7615P. Inasmuch as I still want a 7615P, now I get to start looking for another one for my collection. = !@#$%!

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BLR for me...pick your favorite short action cartridge. For me it was 358 Winchester for an occasional bear hunt but it has been very effective on white tails in the woods as well as bear.

Dan

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

1 B >> I have ONLY known 1 760 that rattled.

1. >> Here's another one that doesn't know that the O-rings can rot and go bad.

Mike how can you come to that conclusion ? I have known 1 that rattled AND some here reported they had one that rattled. NEVER said they didn't.

My Dad had the FIRST 760 that I ever saw. It was @ 1960 or so, I got it from him years before he passed. It NEVER rattled.

I personally have HAD 760s since the 70s and THEN the Model Sixes (6s) when they came out.
My first Model Six is a 270 W and I got it shortly after 1981. I hunted it for years and killed LOTS of deer with it. My Son owns it now.....
still does NOT rattle.

Absolutely NONE of mine rattle and the O rings are not rotted. I know it happens. I don't know WHY but it does.
It does NOT happen to ALL of them.

Jerry

I know exactly why. WD-40 rots the O-rings and back in the day a lot of guys lubed their guns with it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Mike74,

NONE of my Model 760 rifles/carbines "rattle". = IF you have that problem with yours "Brownell's" has the DIY kit to solve it for about 10 bucks.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ok, I'll go big with a Marlin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
BTW - The OP, elel, has already made his decision.... so this is just personal gun gack.

Originally Posted by SKane
It'd be interesting to learn from folks here if their preferences date back to their youth or if they gravitated toward them later down the road.
I grew up with 7600's and bolt actions so they're most familiar to me. I suspect if I started life with levers, I'd have a greater appreciation for them.

I really think you are on to something right there.

I've had levers since 1972 BUT I used Rem 870s FAR more & for MANY more years --> --> the 760/7600 was a natural transition.
I haven't been able to convince lever shooters UNLESS they've been willing to give the pumps an honest trial.

I know from personal experience that the pump shotgun & pump rifle is a MORE natural reflex action... therefore quicker reaction.

***My Preference*** in levers is the Savage 99 and Browning BLR (short cartridges). I THOT I wanted a BLR in 7mm RM UNTIL I handled ONE. NOPE too long, heavy, UNbalanced to me.

Now guys this is ME and not intended AT anyone. I'm expressing MY opinions and am NOT trying to gig, agitate, or irritate anyone.
I don't have space to be occupied by 94s or 336s. I'd pick a 336 over a 94 for quality, plain and simple.

I have hunted & killed IN THICKETS with 270s, 06s, & 7 Mags. They work just as well as levers.
*** NO ONE has to agree with me.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

441 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 39 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,123 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,460
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.