Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

This has nothing to do with being many, or toughening shoulders. Instead it has to do with the part of the brain that subconsciously creates a flinch if a human subjects themselves to recoil hundreds of thousands of time. Physical damage can also results, not just to shoulders but to brains.

And eyes.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rather than some minimal benchmark, I think in terms of your personal maximum recoil tolerance. Foot pounds of energy isn't as important than putting a good bullet in the right place. I know my personal recoil tolerance has decreased markedly in the past year. I've made the decision not to fight it and develop bad shooting "skills". For some their maximum could be a 300 WM, for others, a .270 Win.. Accept it and adapt accordingly.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 10/11/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Rather than some minimal benchmark, I think in terms of your personal maximum recoil tolerance.

Or skip the cartridge altogether and focus on the bullet.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Mercifully, I have very little brain to damage.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bigwhoop,

Recoil tolerance tends to decrease with age, as our bodies become less flexible, and not just the joints.

However, this can be compensated for in more than one way. As smokepole suggested, focusing on the bullet rather than the cartridge case helps a lot. That said, there's often resistance to "downsizing" among big game hunters, because so many ideas about cartridge "adequacy" were formed back when cup-and-core bullets were almost universal.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My experience as both the shooter and the guide is that full penetration is more important than raw power. If all wounds are 100% deep (that means they exit) the only thing left to adjust is the diameter of those wounds. As the cartridge gets smaller the importance of super good bullets becomes even more critical.
My daughter and grand sons have killed a hand full of elk with 257 Roberts and they have never lost one, and none have stayed up after the shot for more then about 10 seconds. But all were killed with Nosler Partition or Barnes X bullets. So in my near 1/2 century of hunting elk and guiding elk hunters, I would have to say the 257 Roberts is "my minimum". But I also have a friend who killed 9 elk with a 243. All were brought to bag, but some he shot 2-3 times. So I have little to say about the 243 as an elk rifles because I have never seen one used, but I do know some who have used it successfully. My friend Rich did later go to a 257 Weatherby Mag, and later still to a 270 Weatherby mag. So he thinks of the 243 as antiquate, but the larger and more powerful guns as "better".

I have personally killed them with 270 Winchester and 270 Short mag, but also with 44 magnum from handguns. The 44 magnum doesn't look all that great from it's calculated ballistics compared to most rifles used for elk, yet one got away, none went far, and none ever took 2 shots.

I also killed one with a wood arrow shot from a Bamboo Bow. Worked fine.

So I fall back on my 1st statement that penetration is the thing to look for more then raw power.
I do acknowledge that sometimes we see poor performance from small rounds. However we also see it from big ones too. In all my years I have had more long tracking jobs with elk shot with 7MM Mags and 300 Mages then any other calibers, but in nearly all cases, those were shot with bullets that blew up, or simply not hit as precisely as they should have been.

2 nights ago I saw a large White Tail Deer killed with a 9.3X57 firing a 250 grain Accubond. The hit was center of the chest up and down, and about 2" behind the leg bone and the exit was as big as an egg dead center on the off side of the chest. Yet the deer went over 200 yards and had to be be tracked down by a long blood trail. That cartridge is then the same ball-park as a 358 Winchester or 35 Whelen, firing the 250 grain bullet at 2350 FPS (Loaded and chronographed by me personally) but the deer didn't drop very fast. It was amazing, and I seldom see such resilience. But it didn't prove to me that a 9.3X57 Mauser is not powerful enough for deer. The diameter of the wound was very good, and the perpetration was 100%, yet the deer ran off a good distance through thick brush and it took some time to find and bring back. Just "one of those thing" I guess. Weird.

But in thinking about "minimums" such a result might be "proof" to some that the cartridge was inadequate. If that had been a 223 or a 243 LOTS of men would say it was proof. But it was not an "under-powered" shell. This was very much like a 358 Winchester with a very hot load.

Explanation?
I have none.

So I look at the "track records" of shells and bullets.

I am sure having an odd animal now and then that just doesn't seem to die as they should will happen, but overall we have to look at the high averages. In my 50 years of hunting, I say the high average for reliability comes from a bullet that gives a good size hole (of at least 1" in diameter" and always goes through to the other side, and most times leaves an exit.

All the rest is simply tripe to argue over.
Cartridges do not kill.
Bullets do not kill.
Guns do not kill.

Bullet holes kill! All the other goodies are just tools to make those holes.

Last edited by szihn; 10/11/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or practice well, which may be just as important.

Exactly!

Much easier on the body and wallet to shoot fifty or a hundred rounds in a practice session with something like a 6.5 Creedmoor compared to a typical 30+ caliber magnum.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dillonbuck and Tracks,

Yeah, quite a few shooters think that shooting harder-kicking guns more is the way to "toughen shoulders," or get over the fear or recoil.

But the vast preponderance of evidence is that shooting harder-kicking guns a LOT has exactly the opposite effect on most humans., especially over time. This is exactly why so many hard-core competitive shotgunners eventually switch to release triggers, and why so many competitive rifle shooters switch to lighter-kicking cartridges. A good example is famous High Power legend David Tubb, who progressed "downhill" in cartridges from the .308 to the 6XC (even lighter recoiling than the .243) over the years.

This has nothing to do with being many, or toughening shoulders. Instead it has to do with the part of the brain that subconsciously creates a flinch if a human subjects themselves to recoil hundreds of thousands of time. Physical damage can also results, not just to shoulders but to brains.

I'm sure the above is correct and I have moved down in power, but not because of recoil, I've just found for me, the perfect cartridge.
I just need to practice more, to get the correct mindset and focus on the target. The rifle isn't going too hurt me, no need to toughen up.

Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
bigwhoop,

Recoil tolerance tends to decrease with age, as our bodies become less flexible, and not just the joints.

However, this can be compensated for in more than one way. As smokepole suggested, focusing on the bullet rather than the cartridge case helps a lot. That said, there's often resistance to "downsizing" among big game hunters, because so many ideas about cartridge "adequacy" were formed back when cup-and-core bullets were almost universal.

Must be happening to me, as my 7 lbs Ruger #1 Tropical in 45/70 is starting to rattle me. Probably has something to do with a 325gr FTX travelling 2000fps....

I know I don't need that much speed, but what does "need" have to do with anything??

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
As to recoil, I have preached this before, but here it goes again: Wear a good shoulder pad at the range—Past, Cabela’s, etc … When I started doing that, my days at the range became much more comfortable with my .375 Wby and .340 Wby. It doesn’t just protect the shoulder; it takes most of the snap out of the recoil, which affects the neck, head, etc … too. My dad shot my .300 WM back in the 80s, when he was in his forties, and he hated it. Over twenty years later, when he was seventy, and we were planning a hunt, I talked him into shooting it again, but gave him a shoulder pad. He shot 1/2” groups with it and said that he was amazed by the difference. My elk hunting buddy for this year and I went to the range a couple of weeks ago with his 7mm RM. I lent him my pad, and after shooting it extremely well, he said: “Wow, that makes a BIG difference.” My boys say the same thing. Just my anecdotal experiences, but I have never seen anyone use one with a decent boomer who said that it didn’t make much of a difference. Use one at the range and be comfortable, and in the field a couple rounds at game won’t both you. No matter how much I shoot my .375 Wby or .340 Wby at the range, I can’t get even the slightest bruising of the shoulder when wearing a pad. It makes the recoil more of a push than a snap. And with no prospect of something even bruising me, I just calmly squeeze the trigger thinking “No big deal.” YMMV.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Same here.....we use the PAST, when shooting from the bench. And, a volley ball elbow pad.....stops the bench top “rug burn”! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
OMG, no kidding on the rug burn. The first range session I had at the range I have switched to, which has a rough surface on the tables, I had blood pouring out of my right elbow like it had been hit by a .50 cal. My younger son, who was with me and also shooting his 243 Win asked me: "Daddy are you okay"? Since then, I bring an old cotton t-shirt to rest my right elbow on. No problem since then.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I used a soft, worn, Terry cloth towel, for years. Still got a burn, with enough rounds fired. Now, I’ve added the elbow pad....big improvement! No burns, and additional padding! Try it....you’ll like it! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by TenX
Wonder what Elmer Keith might say regarding bullet weight?
Phil
There are many things I ponder related to elk hunting, but not one of them involves what Elmer Keith thinks. smile

True that. I killed a decent bull on opening day this year with a .270/130. I believe Ol' Elmer considered that to be a decent coyote cartridge.

But Ol' Elmer was entertaining to read. And he did know quite a bit about old buffalo rifles and cartridges.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've had a PAST pad in my range bag for many years, since I constantly have to range-test a wide variety of rifles. Generally use it on rifles from .300 magnum up, including various .338 and .375 caliber magnums, along with really big rifles from .40 up, such as my .416 Rigby.

Have also killed elk with not only the .300 Winchester Magnum, but the .300 WSM and .300 Weatherby. But have killed at least as many with the .30-06 as all .300 magnums put together, and have never found any noticeable difference in "killing power." Could also say that about various calibers smaller than .30.

As pointed out in the chapter on recoil in my latest book, GUN GACK II, have always found it interesting that some hunters apparently believe felt recoil is a measure of a rifle's "killing power." But increased recoil doesn't necessarily translate to how hard a bullet hits game. The example used in the book compares the .30-06 with a 180-grain bullet at 2700 fps, using 55 grains of powder, compared to a .300 magnum with a 180 at 3000 fps, with 75 grains of powder. In an 8-pound rifle, the recoil energy of of the .300 is 37 foot-pounds, 68% more than the 22 foot-pounds of the .30-06 load in an 8-pound rifle--but the muzzle energy of the .300 bullet is only 23% higher.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Off topic but after reading this entire thread I can tell who is +/- 60ish with 40-50 years of shooting under their belt and who is +/- 40 or less and haven't "got it" yet even if they think they do. LOL

I'm 61 for the record.

Carry on.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Killzone
Off topic but after reading this entire thread I can tell who is +/- 60ish with 40-50 years of shooting under their belt and who is +/- 40 or less and haven't "got it" yet even if they think they do. LOL

I'm 61 for the record.

Carry on.....

57+

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Last elk I saw taken with the .30-06 was a mature but not huge 6x6, killed by a friend from "back East," on his very first elk hunt. He brought a light rifle with a 20" barrel, and used Federal factory loads with 180 Partitions, so muzzle velocity probably wasn't even 2700. The range was 365 lasered yards, and the bullet landed in the crease behind the left shoulder, a third of the way up the body. The bull ran less than 50 yards before keeling over.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Killzone

I'm 61 for the record.

Carry on.....

Betting you missed the mark is some cases.
I've been shooting longer than you've been alive

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Wow. We ARE a bunch of old dubs. No offense intended Mule Deer. Just turned 56 myself.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Page 5 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1Longbow, 10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 62 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,126
Posts18,502,480
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.