Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It was the response to Kennedy and the CIA's failed invasion that resulted in a sorry defeat at the Bay of Pigs in '61. The US had been backing a revolution aimed at deposing the new Cuban dictator Fidel Casto. The CIA tried repeatedly but failed to assassinate Castro, his brother Raul, and Che Guevera.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
U.S.S. CANBERRA CAG2 block-ade

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I was just out of high school, I was more concerned about having a good time that evening.

Youth is wasted on the young.

But like the country song says.....”wisdom in your youth would be a lot less fun”.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by labsandelk
I was in a NORAD combat center, very tense

Later divulged info indicated, as I understand it, that it was nearly button pushing time. Or even more tense than what was ever indicated to the general public. Care to confirm?

I, also was 9 at the time & it seemed pretty serious to my parents & the news channels. But I wonder at times if the news media was ever accurate &/or trustworthy.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by baldhunter
Yep.We practiced drills at school.We would all go to the hall,sit down and put our hands over our heads to protect us.I look back now and that was so all the bodies could be recovered in one big pile.Bomb shelters were the thing after that.

^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad was assigned to Ft. Ritchie, MD which serviced a hole in a mountain now declassified and revealed as Site R. When things got tense Dad and others got recalled 24/7 Things were pretty tense in post housing. None of that hiding under the desk crap. Nobody without clearance knew what Site R was but knew it merited multiple megaton-range strikes. We knew we'd pretty much be vaporized desks not withstanding. Nobody knew, seemed just as likely as not buttons would be pressed All you could do is keep going as normally as possible with your fingers crossed.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In Chicago we had been doing missile drills before the Cuban Missile Crisis. And none of that under the desk stuff. We had to go in the hallway to be away from windows. Back against the lockers, head between the knees. What if we had survived a nuclear attack? Then what?

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
gunzo
It was very close
At that time the public never knew

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had just moved into our new house on the farm. We were too busy getting the cows settled in and taking care of business. There was virtually no talk of it at school. It passed with little fanfare at our house.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I remember coming home from Pop Warner football practice, I was 11 years old, in Atlanta. I remember the guy on the radio in mom's car, basically saying, "We are likely to have a nuclear war starting tonight..."

My parents never talked about it, never made a move to make a fallout shelter or store up food.
Damn that was a dangerous time.

The killer is, the Commies had nuclear howitzers. We didn't know that we only knew the ICBMs.
So they got 25 of these howtzers, stationed 10 miles from the beach. We invade, like the generals wanted to, and in a few hours we got 150,000 Marines on the beach. Castro lights up the nukes and 150, 000 Marines are dead in 10 minutes.

Hello, World War 3.

Thank God Kennedy had the sense to ignore the generals.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was at Yokota AFB, Japan , with a KB-50 outfit, we stood strip alert for 4 days, then went home.

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Listen to Rock Chuck. If Kennedy hadn't chickened out at Bay of Pigs there likely never would have been a Cuban Missile Crisis.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember it as well as if it were yesterday. We were watching TV that night, when a news bulletin came on about the crisis, and that we were close to war with Russia. I went to bed and woke up during the night to the sound of airplanes, one after another, flying over our house. We lived then, and I still do, close to Ft. Campbell, KY, home of the 101st Airborne division. The flight path for planes using the airfield was above our place, and the division was being sent to Florida. I didn't know that, and I had a million thoughts as to what those planes were, even wondering if they were Russian bombers. It was scary to a 12 year old kid.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sugar had an armed guard because of the shortage.

My Grandfather has that job at the Barq's plant and carried a 38.

We did have the drills at school and i had an Uncle on a ship in the blockade.

We also had the civil defense folks come to the school and talk about the shelters as well as a talk and taste sample of the items stored there.
There was a shelters all over back then being we were living around Keesler AFB.

Last edited by plainsman456; 10/13/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Also, we never did have a "hide under your desk, bend over, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass good-by" drill at any time. Apparently we had not yet evolved to the point where we are today where it is necessary to scare kids to death about everything that might happen.

We did not consider it frightening. Just being prepared.
My folks had water and food stored. We kids knew how to drain the hot water heater.
Just part of the late '50's and early '60's.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8XPzICHxXoQ

Last edited by william_iorg; 10/13/18.

Slim
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I remember coming home from Pop Warner football practice, I was 11 years old, in Atlanta. I remember the guy on the radio in mom's car, basically saying, "We are likely to have a nuclear war starting tonight..."

My parents never talked about it, never made a move to make a fallout shelter or store up food.
Damn that was a dangerous time.

The killer is, the Commies had nuclear howitzers. We didn't know that we only knew the ICBMs.
So they got 25 of these howtzers, stationed 10 miles from the beach. We invade, like the generals wanted to, and in a few hours we got 150,000 Marines on the beach. Castro lights up the nukes and 150, 000 Marines are dead in 10 minutes.

Hello, World War 3.

Thank God Kennedy had the sense to ignore the generals.

I believe it was Gen. Shoup who was commandant of the Marine Corps that went into the joint Chiefs of Staff meeting with a flip chart. First page was the island of Cuba. Next chart flipped over Cuba was scale size pic of Betio in the Tarawa atoll. Shoup went on to explain how it took
Something like 18,000 Marines 70 something hours to take the island from 4500 we’ll entrenched and thoroughly bombed Japanese naval infantrymen. And suffering over 1600 dead and over 2000 wounded in the process. Then he said something like "do the math"
Least thats the way I heard it. Prolly someone here can elaborate a bit better. Hell could be urban legend.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We never did any of that Civil Defense stuff. When you're living within five miles of a major strategic target it's pretty much pointless. We kids didn't consider it particularly frightening, probably because we couldn't comprehend the ramifications of it all and partly because there was nothing to do but hope for the best. But parents and older kids were definitely shook up.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Most of that stuff was just for feel good anyway. In a bomb attack, it wouldn't save anyone. It made the parents happy, though, that the schools 'cared'.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Actually if you don't get toasted by prompt radiation and the thermal and overpressure impulses your chances of at least short term survival are surprisingly good

Which explains a lot.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Also, we never did have a "hide under your desk, bend over, stick your head between your legs, and kiss your ass good-by" drill at any time. Apparently we had not yet evolved to the point where we are today where it is necessary to scare kids to death about everything that might happen.

That stuff was all in the fifties, by the time of the Cuban Missle Crisis we'd given up on it.

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1badf350, 1minute, 25aught6, 16penny, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 54 invisible), 2,223 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,908
Posts18,498,231
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.