Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Whats your thoughts ? What if any advantage does it have over the BAR ? I bet its price isn't one of them.

http://revivaler.com/browning-maral-straight-pull-rifle/

We all need to crawl before we walk, so that we can appreciate the Mossbergs of life.
GB1

35 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Mudslicks
Whats your thoughts ? What if any advantage does it have over the BAR ? I bet its price isn't one of them.

http://revivaler.com/browning-maral-straight-pull-rifle/

It has no advantages whatsoever.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Except that's it's not semi auto, so it's legal places where self loaders are not allowed.
They had a straight pull bolt gun awhile back, the acera.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems aimed much more at the European market, the guy speaking under the robo-voice seemed to be speaking French. If you google it the URLs are browning.eu, The styling and take down feature are also pointed at the European hunter, although I see it's also marketed by winchesteraustralia as well, probably to get around that country's semi-auto ban.

Interesting concept.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I liked the older BARs, but when they "modernized" it, I lost interest fast. I had a .30/06 BAR some years ago, and it shot pretty darned well. I don't miss it, but it shot nice.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still remember the old "T-Bolt" straight pull .22 that Browning made. Look at the success of the Swiss K31 ( is that it?) so they can be made accurate and dependable. Butt ugly doesn't bother some guys...:)

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How old is that article? It says,
"Browning has done something that was so obvious that it’s really quite remarkable that it hadn’t been done before."

That is an odd statement considering that _Browning_ did it before. As jackmountain said, they called it the Acera.

I find straight-pull bolt guns very interesting. If one finds semi-autos unreliable, or potentially unreliable, or scary because they _might_ be unreliable, then this addresses that concern in a proven design that's faster, easier, and smoother to operate than a turnbolt action. I imagine that not everyone would be interested, just as not everyone is interested in every particular rifle on the market.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by MZ5
"Browning has done something that was so obvious that it’s really quite remarkable that it hadn’t been done before."

That is an odd statement considering that _Browning_ did it before. As jackmountain said, they called it the Acera.

I find straight-pull bolt guns very interesting. If one finds semi-autos unreliable, or potentially unreliable, or scary because they _might_ be unreliable, then this addresses that concern in a proven design that's faster, easier, and smoother to operate than a turnbolt action. I imagine that not everyone would be interested, just as not everyone is interested in every particular rifle on the market.

I have owned at least 1/2 dozen browning autos and never had one jam . I have had them in cartridges ranging from 270 win to 300 win. Never a problem

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Far as I know, these are aimed at the Yurrupean market for use on driven game. Saw a piece on one of the Youtube channels. Interesting, as are most rifles, but no appeal for me. No doubt of good quality like Brownings usually are, but will have a tough row to hoe against the Helix. Price is supposed to be somewhat less than the competition, but price isn't much of a concern for those folks from what I've seen.

I've seen a number of semis in use on the driven hunt videos, shotguns as well as rifles, but can't recall what countries they were filmed in. Some of the shoots in the Balkan countries look pretty loose and wild compared to the ones in Frankia and Merkeltopia.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MZ5
I find straight-pull bolt guns very interesting. If one finds semi-autos unreliable, or potentially unreliable, or scary because they _might_ be unreliable, then this addresses that concern in a proven design that's faster, easier, and smoother to operate than a turnbolt action.
Remington makes pumps for those people and has for a long time.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I threw up in my mouth a little when I checked the pics. Would much rather use a BAR or pump of any kind.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MZ5

The difference is that the Acera operated much like any other straight pull: pull back, push forward. On the Maral you don't have to push forward. The bolt is driven closed by springs, so you pull back and let go.

It seems very much built for jurisdictions where self-loaders are restricted, but people want a fast repeater, and one which holds a fair few rounds of something powerful. 10+1 rounds of 9.3x62 should be just the ticket for knocking down a mob of running pigs, I think.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 007FJ, 204guy, 2500HD, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 851 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,481
Posts18,508,809
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.