Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
So I'm building a 700SA IN 358win. I just got the action trued and ready to ship to shaw to have them make and install the barrel. Being my first complete build I don't want to make any dumb mistakes on the order form. The emails I've exchanged with them came an attached build sheet to print and send with my action. It says there is a sample to use as a reference on the site but I couldn't find it or a link to it? Do any of you guys happen to have one or know where I can find it? Thanks!

-Brandon

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't know of a build sheet on their site.
They may be referring to the "Barrel Page" where you'll find the services they offer and prices for each, Barrel, barrel installation, Fluting, bluing, etc.
Their barrels have worked well on several Savages of mine, Good Luck with your build!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Yea, I couldn't find it either. I guess I just print off the one they sent in a pdf and fill it out and mail it with my action?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Can they fax you a blank form ?

Last edited by hanco; 10/16/18.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I have the blank form. Yes. However, in the email it says to refer to the sample form on website for guidance.
I know what I want them to do but being me, I wanted to see one filled out just to be sure I did everything correctly. No big deal really but I don't want to F it up.

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any reason why you didn’t have whoever trued it install a barrel? ER Shaw doesn’t have the best reputation for good quality accurate barrels.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought the action from mile high and they trued it for me. I haven't really heard too many bad things about shaws barrels. I've actually read a lot of good things on most every forum. I'm sure it'll be more accurate in .358 win then I can shoot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by skybuster20ga
I bought the action from mile high and they trued it for me. I haven't really heard too many bad things about shaws barrels. I've actually read a lot of good things on most every forum. I'm sure it'll be more accurate in .358 win then I can shoot.

No complaints about my Mark VII, far as I'm concerned, they do nice work.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have purchased a barrel from ER Shaw. Have been very happy so far.

Here is the very first group I shot with it after getting in on paper. 1/2"

Not too shabby considering It was an overrun closeout and I paid $29.99 for the barrel.

Dennisinaz chambered it for me.

[Linked Image]

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bought a table full of reloading stuff, some complete guns and 2 pistols & a Mauser 98 Shaw barreled action, parts were scattered throughout the mess. I did find the rough cut stock, couldn't find the bottom metal or action screws. The bore was awful dirty, after cleaning it up the first 3 shot group went 5/16". There's still a lot of surface rust and I didn't finish the stock, it is an ugly old scudder.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple of Shaw barrels, one in 222 Rem one won the Egg Shoot a few years back and is nicely accurate the rest of the time. They made my 6mm-204 hunting barrel pencil weight that started as a 6x47 Rem and I rechambered to 6mm-204, again quite accurate until I stuck it in the snow before taking a shot at a coyote. I wacked 2" off the end and it is shooting pretty good again.

They make a good barrel, I don't think I would make a BR rifle with one but for a hunting gun they do well, are an easy outfit to work with, and reasonably priced.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I feel good about using shaw...it's not really a money issue for me. I just like the idea that they will do the entire thing including the bluing so when I get it back I'm just left with a little stock fitting and bed it and I'm off to the races.
Do any of the other barrel places do the complete package? Meaning barrel/ mounting, fluting and bluing?
Like I said this is my first rifle from the ground up so its kinda foreign to me.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Several barrel makers will install, flute, and blue your barrel. But, remember, barrel makers are in the business of making barrels and do not necessarily excel at installing them.

If it is the one stop shopping that attracts you, just know that any good smith can do a soup to nuts barreling job for you as well.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by z1r
Several barrel makers will install, flute, and blue your barrel. But, remember, barrel makers are in the business of making barrels and do not necessarily excel at installing them.

If it is the one stop shopping that attracts you, just know that any good smith can do a soup to nuts barreling job for you as well.

Excellent advice.

David

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Skybuster,
What contour are you going with?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
An old gunsmith friend of mine used ER Shaw barrels almost exclusively and his customers were always happy. I had Shaw install a rifled barrel on my Winchester M/25 pump shotgun, this was in the days before you could buy a rifled barrel slug gun from the factory. I have been very well satisfied with the barrel and its performance, it is very accurate I would not hesitate to install a Shaw barrel on a centerfire rifle.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My Shaw experience is a sample of one, a 358 win built on a ruger. Shaw did the install. I have about a dozen rifles with aftermarket barrels from many of the better known barrel makers and that shaw barrel will run with any other sporter I have.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 222ND, 160user, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 48 invisible), 9,589 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,363
Posts18,546,910
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.