Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
It isn't the age, it is the expense that makes it a problem. MT non-resident tags (Deer + Elk) are just going up and up and up. This *might* be my last year ...

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by colorado bob
I seriously thinking about it. These Colorado Rocky Mtns are getting steeper every year. This year there was an additional 18" of snow to deal with. I'm 63 maybe it's time. I've killed a bunch of them over the years. Just seems to be more & more work every year. Anyone else in the same boat? Bob

me, I've had 2 back operation 6 fused dics and too compete knee replacements, if it wasn't for the younger brothers it would leave me just rabbit hunting

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm 66 ...age corrected in my best shape ever. Headed out tomorrow for a big bull . Boned and packed 3 the last 3 years. I hope to make it to 70. Still love to hunt elk in the snow...but I can see the end is not too far off. Sad because I live to hunt elk.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I swear off elk hunting at the end of every season. Then the next year rolls around and i am excited to go again. It's an illness......

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I envy you guys. I'm a Virginian who grew up dreaming of elk hunting. Never had the time, money, contacts, got married, got a young'n that I'll get started on deer this year, but ELK, man that was a dream that I live through others experience. You guys are really an inspiration. Keep on gettin on as long as you can, if you need some help give me a call.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I used to archery hunt elk and did real good. Started rifle hunting them in Oregon and found too many obstacles in place to even call it hunting. Success rates at 4% (and less)and those are usually private land or someone with an "in". Hunting other states is what I call hunting. Oregon elk hunting is a joke. If I lived somewhere reasonable to hunt, I'd still be hunting them.

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ewms
I envy you guys. I'm a Virginian who grew up dreaming of elk hunting. Never had the time, money, contacts, got married, got a young'n that I'll get started on deer this year, but ELK, man that was a dream that I live through others experience. You guys are really an inspiration. Keep on gettin on as long as you can, if you need some help give me a call.

Umm...did I post this under a different handle and just not remember???

All joking aside, I'm in the same boat! Hoping to chase them or Coues next year, trying to get some guys to commit to a western hunt.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
As long as I'm upright and can walk, ride a horse , drive an ATV, shoot my rifle and drive the distance to hunt out of state, I'm in for hunting elk. My elk hunting partner was 83yo, we hunted that year and he died following year. I'm 65 still going strong and hunting elk next month and don't forget ducks too.

"I've made alot of money in my life, most of it spent on guns and women. The rest of it I just wasted."
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I believe there should be areas specific for folks like the OP. Like the refuge hunt in Jackson Hole. I believe it should be for the elderly, the physically handicapped, and the youth. Unfortunately, it's open to anyone that draws. I don't think the youngsters with legs and lungs like a wolf should be allowed.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
You have my position exactly, Shrapnel.. With the great numbers of elk we have today, killing one in a hole is not cool, especially at my age..

Molon Labe
IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I too am a "bolted together, surgery scarred, half bionic" 65 yr old...and I have come to the conclusion that there are some areas I can't hunt anymore! I am happy just to be outdoors and I put in for the late seasons cow elk hunts on private ranches. I have no problem shooting hayfield elk...if I can ever catch them in the hayfield! Elk are still elk for me...I just have to figure out a way I can hunt them w/o killing myself! ha. Time...."where did you go"? smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had to choose between hunting elk at 12,000 feet in the snow or nice whitetails on the plains since my tags overlapped. Hunted the plains and had a great time. Next elk hunt and last elk hunts will be Sept muzzleloader only and only if I get a bear down earlier in Sept.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang, and you're not even nearly as old as huntsman22......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
But he's a whole lot smarter....

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I too am a "bolted together, surgery scarred, half bionic" 65 yr old...and I have come to the conclusion that there are some areas I can't hunt anymore! I am happy just to be outdoors and I put in for the late seasons cow elk hunts on private ranches. I have no problem shooting hayfield elk...if I can ever catch them in the hayfield! Elk are still elk for me...I just have to figure out a way I can hunt them w/o killing myself! ha. Time...."where did you go"? smile

I hear you Jim, I can still find Elk but have to solve the problem of getting them out. I just returned from Wyoming where I enjoyed being in the mountains during the rut. I ranged 4 shooter bulls at less than 200 yards.
Lots of fun but no meat. I travelled light and slept in a motel and had a ball. There are plenty of ranches that offer hunts in great locations and solve the logistical problems, I will put a cow elk in the freezer next year and let someone else do the hard work w/out shame.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Better looking too.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My dad lost interest in hunting them in his 60’s. I was surprised because he was still in good health.

Anymore I just want to hunt them early season archery or muzzloader, or a rare early rifle tag.. cold weather is for Muleys!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've more or less lost interest. The people I used to hunt with have scattered. If I hunt elk, it's hunting alone now, and that isn't much fun. I would still like to shoot one with a handgun and maybe shoot one with a flintlock. I hadn't put in for a few years. This year I was going to go with an OTC tag but my boss turned down the vacation request. Today would have been the last day of elk season for me.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Better looking too.

I decline any packing assistance requests from either of you guys or that handwerk dude. At least when I go elk hunting I rarely have to pack them out. As I said before though, Sept from here on out for me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
September is where it's at. I keep trying to tell Don that.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1minute, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 64 invisible), 2,396 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.