Print Thread
Hop To
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hi all, I have the bases on and loosened the screws to tighten the vertical split rings. I'm thinking to clamp the scope with both rings at the same time and drop them in the bases.... How do I ensure I'm tightening evenly from both sides to insure alignment is perfect... Or if my initial plan is flawed, pls recommend an alternative plan!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Conetrols can be a little tricky until you've done a number of them & learn how to make life easier for yourself.

Put a half ring in each base to get spacing; lift scope & half rings off & put other half & caps on.

Pinch rings by bottom studs to snug the cap up.

Place scope & rings into bases & check for scope reticle alignment..........it helps to place a short strip of masking tape behind each ring to mark correct location on the scope & mark a small line with a lead pencil on the each cap in it's centerline for reference if you have to rotate scope for reticle alignment & adjust as needed. It also helps to mark the centerline space between the ring halves on the tape for replacement after you rotate the scope for alignment.

When alignment is good, start to tighten the screws in the base which tighten the rings, alternately, until you get some contact.......visually look at the side to side alignment of the ring base (distance from the edge of the base to the bottom of the ring) on each side to see that it is centered over the base & continue to alternately tighten screws until snug enough. If you want to get a little more anal than just checking it visually, you can measure it with a caliper.

MM

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Sorry for late reply Montana, I'm going to give it a go tomorrow having got stuck in a lot of other chores, it's the retical alignment that I'm not sure about... Obviously getting it centre of bore? Is it the even turn for both sides of the tightening screws that is crucial?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
to add to what MontanaMan wrote be sure the windage adjustment of the scope is in the center by turn the windage adjustment all the way to either left or right and then pay attention to how many revolutions it takes to get completely to the opposite direction then turn back half as far and you will be in the middle.

turn the the tightening screws in the bases in evenly from each side. Bore sight the rifle in some sort of rest, sand bags or get a cardboard box and cut a V in the top to hold the rifle steady. you can use the bottom tightening screws as a windage adjustment to get the scope pointed where the bore is looking.

have a clear area to attach the rings because loosening the rings by prying open the bottom to adjust the crosshairs or to move fore and aft sometimes the top cap of the rings will pop off.
The Conetrols are trial and error attached but once on or pretty good.

Also don't break any thing but tighten the bottom screws pretty tight to prevent scope slip.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Conetrols are some of the very strongest & secure mounts available, just a bit of a pain to get on ring until you've done a few.

Should add one other note.

Once you get it into the rings & on the bases, and get the base screws into full contact with the rings, take the heel of your hand & hit the eyepiece on one side than then the objective on the other side as that helps fully seat the rings on the scope & the ring bottom squarely onto the bases..................that used to be in their instructions, but not sure it still is now, with all the changes at the company.

MM

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Conetrols are very attractive rings IMO. Would love to own a set on a nice rifle some day

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like this?

MM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Thanks guys! That starts to calculate in my brain... Those pics will add motivation! Just on striking the scope .... Striking down to seat rings in bases or striking side ways to settle the windage ?

Edit: and striking both sides in the same direction if it's a sideways strike or strike eye side from left and further side from right?

Last edited by Porker; 10/13/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Porker
Just on striking the scope .... Striking down to seat rings in bases or striking side ways to settle the windage ?

Slightly down & sidways...............not a hammer blow, just a good tap with the heel of your hand.

One in the back part of the scope, one in the front from the other side..............idea is to help square up the scope rings in the bases. The bottom flat of the rings as it rests on top of the bases must be seated downflush & tight all around.

Check the instructions...............probably says it better than I can.

Instructions

MM

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Looking good so far... How tight with the fat wrench would you do the torx screws guys?

Edit: darn... As soon as I got reticle level, tight Ning cants it to the right?!

Last edited by Porker; 10/14/18.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looking good so far... How tight with the fat wrench would you do the torx screws guys?

Good & snug with a short L wrench..................

MM

P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Hey Montana, could I email you a pic to post on this thread? I'm no good at posting pics since my PC is out of action.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too late for this but Conetrols are so well made don't switch the top pieces. They will still fit but may be more visible along the seam.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
P
Porker Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Tejano, I got that part right, they sit flush, the water based cammo coating on the scope meant I had to pinch fairly tight to get the rings to fit inside the bases, that meant I could not do finer adjustments to get the reticle straight... and it’s touching the barrel JUST... going with shims under the bases me think.

Montana... thanks for your email... I’ll send pics once I get the shims fitted

Last edited by Porker; 10/18/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and it’s touching the barrel JUST... going with shims under the bases me think.

Truthfully, I would buy higher rings............Conetrol rings, per height description, are lower than most.

They would probably let you exchange them, other than in your location, postage cost might make it a moot point.

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,139
Posts18,502,738
Members73,991
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.