-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Here in Alberta we have a limited draw for Merriam's Turkeys spring hunts. I'm wondering what other turkey hunting opportunities there are in Canada and how accessible they are for Canadians not resident in the province of opportunity. I hear there may be some hunting in Ontario, but need more information. Also if there are any Canadian turkey hunting outfitters here on 24 Hour Campfire, please let me know.

It would be a nice opportunity to see and hunt other parts of Canada.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only turkeys I know live in Ottawa and wear 1000-1500 dollars suits paid for by tax-payers and waste taxpayer money.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Very true, however, a lot of those are vultures, too!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is turkey hunting in Ontario. Don't know of anyone who outfits for these birds. On private land adjacent to our gun club there is a resident flock of about 50 birds which we see quite frequently.
Success can be quite good if you can gain access to private land. Limit is 2 birds.
I hunted 2 years and took one bird each year. Having satisfied myself that it wasn't all that difficult to kill one I haven't gone out for 2 or 3 years now. In my case am just not prepared to go knocking on doors asking for trespass permission.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...but could use an 'open season'. wink
JS, there was a 'turkey' thread earlier here. It was about AB but it had some posts about the opportunities in BC. I just brought it 'back to the top'.

A golf course is a sad misuse of a perfectly good rifle range.
IC B2

S
S
Lot's of Turkey in Ontario now, very tasty over grown pigeons.
I see them every where now and they are quite cockey, not enough hunting I guess.

I'm not sure about an out fitter here though. I've got a couple of local farmers who let me use thier land.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any of you from ON know if turkeys require an outfitter?

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
For a non-resident of Ontario you would need a wild turkey licence and a non-resident's small game licence. You would also be required to take the Wild Turkey Hunter Education Seminar and pass the written test. Outfitters are not required. Unfortunately, there is very little public land that have turkeys in any number. The birds are usually found on farm land and other types of private property - asking permission is the only way to go!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Starting to be quite a few in Eastern Ont. I shot my first one this past year and I was pleasantly surprise at how tasty it was. There are a number of large winter flocks that I often see on my way to work most mornings. Haven't seen them the last couple of weeks though. Perhaps they are going their separate ways with the sporing season coming up.

Last edited by RobP; 03/21/07.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks snow dog.

IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SakoAlberta
...but could use an 'open season'. wink
JS, there was a 'turkey' thread earlier here. It was about AB but it had some posts about the opportunities in BC. I just brought it 'back to the top'.

Thanks very much. I'll check it out.

- John Spartan

Likes hunting with old leverguns.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I am fairly certain that non-resident Canucks can hunt Turkeys in B.C. without a guide, as they are "upland game". Now, I doubt that this will continue as somebody decides to petition the M.O.E. to restrict this so that they can make $$$$ as a Turkey Guide-Outfitter, so, doing it soon is probably the best choice.

Ah, I can see it now, the "Grand Slam" of Turkeys with the prized B.C. Bombshell Bird necessary to "complete your Slam"....... $15,000 for hunting this "rara avis".............. not completely in jest, sad to say!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Do you have a 'Class C' guiding license there in BC, kute?

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I don't know, call MOE in Victoria to get details.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (257Bob, 12344mag, 260Remguy, 25classic, 2500HD, 222Sako, 55 invisible), 2,664 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,988
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.