Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#13225178 10/23/18
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
So I picked up a clean used scope last week, a 2-7 x 32 Zeiss Terra, Z-plex reticle. Very clean, controls run smoothly, no ring marks, etc... $95. Did I do okay?
I wonder what they set parallax to on those? 100 Meters?

Last edited by OMCHamlin; 10/23/18.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you only paid 95 you done good !!!! Most people feel that the Terra is "cheap"and not near the "scope" it replaced, which I tend to agree on the latter part, but in all actuallity does it really matter what others think! All that matters is that you like it....Good luck with your find...

"Pride is the only disease that makes everyone sick except the one that has it"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Does Zeiss still produce the Terra line???

I had the long rangeTerra , don't remember the power range. The parallax was set at 300 yds. Crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Terra binoculars, yes

Terra riflescopes, no

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Worst new scope I’ve have ever handled. Zeiss screwed a lot of folks with this scope imo the low light is bad bad bad

Last edited by Birddogcatfish; 10/23/18.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Oh well...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a 3-9x Zeiss Terra with stadia lines which I bought from Cabela's Bargain Cave in Hamburg, PA, several years ago. It seems just fine. I mounted it on a rifle I'm taking to Colorado next week. I shot the rifle out to 450 yards Saturday and it worked just fine. The other rifle I'm taking wears a brand new Burris 3-9x scope with stadia lines. Both sets of stadia lines worked the same. Both rifles were 30-06s shooting the same load.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Not a bad deal for $95.00, but I wouldn't have paid much more! The Terra line was a black eye for Zeiss, imo. It was a real gut punch when they dropped the original Conquest line and re-introduced it as the Terra. What a joke! The Terra was a complete goat fugg compared to the Conquest. The Conquest 3x9-40 ZPlex was one of the best scopes ever made for $400... better than most scopes that were double the price.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What is the Zeiss affordable line of scopes now?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Used Diavaris........

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Grinning...that is indeed the case. The Diavari and the Conquest of that time period were and are still both excellent. The Diavari glass is top of the line...still. It may not have the high transmission of the HT but the contrast and clarity is better--fwiw--imho.

Regarding the Terra, I have only had four example run thru my paws but they looked fine to me. I checked them for flare and clarity. I imagine they are worth their pricepoint minus a little for the Zeiss name. I like to know specifically why the trashing...but if it's just because they don't measure up to the older Conquests, then no argument from me.

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a few terra scopes. I've never had a single problem with them. YMMV.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
When the Terra 3-9x first appeared I ran in through several tests, includiing resolution, brightness, recoil, POI shift when changing magnification, accuracy of adjustments, etc. The only quantifiable difference I found was eye relief: The original 3-9x Conquest had eye relief that only varied about half an inch from 3x to 9x, between about 4" to 3.5" The Terra's varied considerably, from close to 4" at 3x down to under 3" at 9x. For some rifles and shooting that would work OK, for other shooting not.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've had several Terra scopes, and they all performed just as they should -- never a problem for me. They offered similar perceived brightness when compared to the Conquest line, but none quite measured up in resolution -- close but not quite. The color rendition and contrast levels differed as well, but not in a negative way, either...just different to my eyes. The tracking on those Terra scopes proved to be positive and repeatable. For the $95 price tag, I'd say you did well!

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm in agreement with a lot of the guys that actually like the Terra rifle scope. They have been great scopes for the money. Probably not quite as good as the Conquest, but damned near as good. I will say that I prefer the 3-9x42 with the RZ-6 reticle. I've tried the 4-12 and found it bothersome to get behind. As JB pointed out about the eye relief, that scope is very particular. The 3-9x42's have been very good in that regard though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
When the Terra 3-9x first appeared I ran in through several tests, includiing resolution, brightness, recoil, POI shift when changing magnification, accuracy of adjustments, etc. The only quantifiable difference I found was eye relief: The original 3-9x Conquest had eye relief that only varied about half an inch from 3x to 9x, between about 4" to 3.5" The Terra's varied considerably, from close to 4" at 3x down to under 3" at 9x. For some rifles and shooting that would work OK, for other shooting not.

EXACTAMUNDO. I liked the Terra a LOT...until I turned up the power. The eye relief sucked so bad I took it off the rifle without ever firing it....

But then, you buys know I mount scopes as far back as possible anyway..JeffO style...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

EXACTAMUNDO. I liked the Terra a LOT...until I turned up the power. The eye relief sucked so bad I took it off the rifle without ever firing it....

But then, you buys know I mount scopes as far back as possible anyway..JeffO style...

Shaking head.. and smoking turd in hell...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

laugh laugh laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I worked with a Terra 4-12x42 this weekend. The upper magnification eye relief was pretty short. I was helping out a guy who prefers to shoot with it cranked all the way up, and so the objective bell wound up right against the front ring minus a couple of millimeters to keep the ring off the transition radius from tube to bell. It's good he leaves it all the way up since accommodating the high mag eye relief jacks up the lower ranges.

A definite no go for me.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

laugh laugh laugh

I mount mine like that, too.

I was compared to you, which was a real compliment; Jeff O, not so much... blush

grin

DF

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (10ring1, 163bc, 12344mag, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,991
Posts18,499,927
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.