Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Tragedy avoided. Thank goodness.

Unless I know where all three kids are when I get ready to leave, I make a lap around what ever I am driving.

insurance companies are already calling this a best practice and "strongly suggesting " it for businesses, along with placing a cone on the vehicle hood. look for it to be an Osha rule in a few years, maybe less

for the guy who said "it wouldnt have been the drivers fault. thats correct in this instance but had he been in a commercial vehicle it damned sure would have been had the comoany had a "360" rule

its sad that we as a society allow ins. companies to dictate so much of our lives.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I worry every time I back out of my drive way. I check all my mirrors and back up cameras. Apparently kids aren't taught anything about watching out for cars. They appear to be plenty old enough to know to look out for cars, but they don't appear to. Wish they would just play in their own yards. I usually drive <20 mph through the neighborhood, because you never know when one might run out in the street.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
A guy I know use to work for UPS years ago. One day while making deliveries, he had to drive through a neighborhood looking for an address. He noticed a lady and a young child walking down the sidewalk headed in the same direction he was. He noticed the lady kept looking back at him and thought it was strange. When he got closer to her, she switched sides with the child. This really set off an alarm with him and he was pretty sure something was up. Sure enough when he got close to them, she suddenly pushed the kid out into the street in his path. Luckily he was on high alert and was able to stop before hitting the child. He immediately called the police but she took off with the child in tow. Don't know if they ever caught her or not. I know it shook him up pretty good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Paul_M
A while back on here someone had bitched about people who back into a parking space or pull thru one into another so they don't have to back out of a parking space.
You have just given another reason why I am one of those people who does not like to back out of spaces.
Glad you didn't run the kid over.

Someone bitched about that? We should pitch in and buy him a crying towel.

KFWA - good on you for having your head screwed on. A lot of people would not have caught that.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Wow.. A close call for sure.. Makes one appreciate the newer vehicles with rear sensors and/or cameras..

Originally Posted by FreeMe
[quote=Paul_M]A while back on here someone had bitched about people who back into a parking space or pull thru one into another so they don't have to back out of a parking space.
You have just given another reason why I am one of those people who does not like to back out of spaces.

Someone bitched about that? We should pitch in and buy him a crying towel..
Yep.. With my truck I nearly HAVE to back into a space or I'll never get out - especially because many spaces now have lines closer together for them itty-bitty cars. My dually's nearly wall-to-wall on those..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Paul_M
A while back on here someone had bitched about people who back into a parking space or pull thru one into another so they don't have to back out of a parking space.

I worked for a company that required you to back in when parking if possible. I got into the habit after 25 yrs and still do it. I have seen a lot of accidents that could have been prevented by doing this. Yes it's a pain and takes a little more time but I don't mind the extra minuet. I an glad KFWA did not have a tragedy to deal with. Some people I would back up to see what the bump was, but a kid would haunt me.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It would unnerve me for sure, a man I worked with ran over his own kid. The child survived, I look real close if there are kids about.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Old friends of ours lost a toddler son when a neighbor friend who didn't see their child near his vehicle accidentally ran over him as he was leaving. Needless to say both families were beyond devastated.

I was hit by a car back when I was around 4 or 5 years old. Myself along with some more little kids were crossing the street to get to an ice cream truck parked at a corner waiting on us. The driver of the car that hit me was a teenage boy with a carload of buddies. Showing off, he tried to 'peel-out' as he was leaving a stop sign at the same corner where the ice cream truck was parked. Luckily he hadn't gained enough forward acceleration yet to hit me with enough force to do serious injury but it was still enough though to knock me unconscious into the roadside ditch. Knocked my new white buck shoes off both feet still tied. When I regained consciousness I was crying thinking my little Boston Terrier that followed me everywhere had got run over. Parents rushed me to a doctor, no broken bones but sore for a few days from bruises, scrapes and scratches.

Several weeks later we were at a local drive-in restaurant and I remember my parents pointing out a teenage boy car hop working there. saying he was the one driving the car that hit me and that he had quit driving altogether by choice.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Last 8 years before I retired I was usually driving a company car in my semi-retirement job. We had to go through a driver safety course to do that. In parking lots we were required to get a pull through space and never back out, if at all possible. In the course I learned that the vast majority of parking lot accidents involve backing up. Forgot what the percentage is but it's high.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

This. Glad it wasn't otherwise for you and them.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Unless I know where all three kids are when I get ready to leave, I make a lap around what ever I am driving.

insurance companies are already calling this a best practice and "strongly suggesting " it for businesses, along with placing a cone on the vehicle hood. look for it to be an Osha rule in a few years, maybe less

for the guy who said "it wouldnt have been the drivers fault. thats correct in this instance but had he been in a commercial vehicle it damned sure would have been had the comoany had a "360" rule

its sad that we as a society allow ins. companies to dictate so much of our lives.
when i worked for oilstates it was required.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Local ordinance here where I live, 45 degree reverse angle parking in main street. I like it as it allows one to see when driving out.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Local ordinance here where I live, 45 degree reverse angle parking in main street. I like it as it allows one to see when driving out.

That is such an obviously great idea that it's rather embarrassing it hasn't caught on here.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by JSTUART

That is such an obviously great idea that it's rather embarrassing it hasn't caught on here.

Most towns here don't have it, and every time some lout tries to change it to nose in the town gets up in arms as we like it as it is.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Always thought those backup camera's were a good idea. This post just pushed me a little further toward getting one.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Gives me the willies just reading this.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'll never bitch about the perimeter parking beepers on my Tundra ever again. Thank God you saw the kid in time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A few years back, I was sitting still at a light, when a group of young kids ran behind my truck and into moving traffic on the other side. They assumed the traffic was ALL stopped. One kid was hit, and it sounded like someone hit a bag of trash. Left him in an unmoving pile on the roadway. I called for an ambulance and the cops got there fast, but there was never a word on the news about it.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
In the '60s, as a teen (I lied about my age.), I drove a Good Humor ice cream truck (remember them?) for a couple of summers. In our driver's room there was a wall-to-wall sign in two or three foot letters: "NEVER BACK UP!"

I had a very close call with a kid on a bike. I was driving slowly (fast idle) through a neighborhood ringing my bells when three young (10 or 11-ish) boys came flying past me on their bicycles. The first one cut real close in front of me and slapped my fender as he went by. The second one cut real close in front of me and slapped my fender as he went by. The third little klutz cut real close in front of me, tried to hit my fender, missed, and wound up throwing himself off of his bicycle directly in front of me - I mean right there at my front bumper! I nailed my brakes so hard the rear wheels came up and the refrigerated box slid on the frame.

I was so shook I could barely stand. I shut off the truck and left it right there in the middle of the street and walked about a block to a chili joint. I bought a pack of Camels (I was not yet a committed smoker until that day) and sat there for a good hour looking at my truck down the street,chain smoking and eating a bowl of chili. (I had never had a taste for chili before - I grew up with bland tastes.)

That boy owes his life to some incredible brakes on that old Ford chassis.

Last edited by GunReader; 10/24/18.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
KFWA Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
a little more light hearted story

my BIL and I were coming back from the lumber company one day in his little Ford Courier pickup truck. A neighborhood boy was zipping around on his dirt bike, not being a nuisance but also not paying attention to traffic, you know, being a cocky kid who thought his skills with a dirt bike exceeded his mortality.

He was zipping in and out around up front of us and then let us pass, then proceeded to immediately cut right behind the truck as we passed. Unfortunately he didn't realize we had a 12' board sticking out the back. Knocked him right on his ass in the middle of the street. I wasn't paying too much attention but my BIL busted up laughing and told me what happened.

I asked him if we should stop and see if he's OK but we both saw the kid get up, shake it off and pick up his dirt bike, so we kept going.

Probably taught that kid a valuable lesson that day about traffic and motorcycles.

Last edited by KFWA; 10/24/18.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

470 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 12344mag, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,150
Posts18,502,825
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.