Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So was talking about this the other day to some friends I hunt with.

I always bring two rifles when I travel to hunt. I have never had one of my rifles go down, however there have been a couple of instances in the last few years where I was able to loan my backup out to save a friends hunt. I've always brought a similar rifles in the past.

I am also lucky enough to be able to hunt deer in a spot where depending on the day and deer movement you can choose thick brush or open prairies of rolling hills. So you might be able to see 50yds max or you might be able to bring the spotting scope and glass for over a mile in every direction. I hunt with my younger kids so I use a suppressor 100% of the time.

For next year I am temped to bring a 16.5" 308 for the mountains and a 24" barreled 300wsm for the open areas. You might find a meadow in the mountains that could stretch out to 350yds max. The 24" barrel along with a 7" suppressor is very noticeable while walking though the brush.

What's your thoughts?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I always take 2.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The wife travels with me. In a pinch....I’ll “step-down” to her .338 WM! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Yes. I've never had it happen, but you never know when a trip or slip resulting in a fall may damage a scope. Where I hunt elk, it can be pretty thick with timber, or fairly open. I'll carry my lighter and shorter .308 for the heavy timber or if I'm walking a lot up and down, and I'll bring one of my other rifles for the more open terrain.

Last edited by Driftboater; 10/24/18.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I take 2, not for different conditions, but because it would suck to have one go down, scope broke etc on a hunt your paying for. On the hunts where I hunted from a remote camp and two rifles wasn't an option I bring a second scope in its own rings pre-zeroed.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Every time I have had to lend out my rifle its been due to scope/mounting issues.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
IF hunting too far to drive home easily (should I have a "firearms issue"), I routinely travel with 2 Model 760s, which use the same ammo.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Not always if hunting local (less than an hour) but almost always if traveling two or more hours away or staying at a camp for several days...

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Out of state.....at least two.......

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by jbuck
So was talking about this the other day to some friends I hunt with.

I always bring two rifles when I travel to hunt. I have never had one of my rifles go down, however there have been a couple of instances in the last few years where I was able to loan my backup out to save a friends hunt. I've always brought a similar rifles in the past.

I am also lucky enough to be able to hunt deer in a spot where depending on the day and deer movement you can choose thick brush or open prairies of rolling hills. So you might be able to see 50yds max or you might be able to bring the spotting scope and glass for over a mile in every direction. I hunt with my younger kids so I use a suppressor 100% of the time.

For next year I am temped to bring a 16.5" 308 for the mountains and a 24" barreled 300wsm for the open areas. You might find a meadow in the mountains that could stretch out to 350yds max. The 24" barrel along with a 7" suppressor is very noticeable while walking though the brush.

What's your thoughts?

Whether I take two depends on the security situation in camp. I don’t try to match weapons to conditions because the percieved advantage just isn’t there in reality.

I hunt on tree farms that have very thick brush, but you can step out of the timber and see for miles. Every time I took a brush gun and a long-range gun, I had the wrong one in my hand when I saw game. Now I use a rifle, cartridge, and optic that handles quickly AND that can reach out a long way. If I do take two, then both must be able to handle any situation I’m likely to encounter.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B3

J
jbuck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by okie john

Whether I take two depends on the security situation in camp. I don’t try to match weapons to conditions because the percieved advantage just isn’t there in reality.

I hunt on tree farms that have very thick brush, but you can step out of the timber and see for miles. Every time I took a brush gun and a long-range gun, I had the wrong one in my hand when I saw game. Now I use a rifle, cartridge, and optic that handles quickly AND that can reach out a long way. If I do take two, then both must be able to handle any situation I’m likely to encounter.

Okie John

This is why I have always brought two longer barreled rifles and left the compacts, but this is also the first year I packed the can on the rifle the whole time. Last year was the first year I brought my boy and I made him wear electronic ear muffs, this year I brought the can which made it easier to whisper back and forth with him and don't see myself going back. So I might just have to live with the longer barrel. I also had to pass on a really nice buck because I wasn't confident on the cartridge at that range.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Yes,I take two rifles.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, I take two. Generally they are both very similar. If I have my truck theres likely a spare scope in there as well. In 30 years I never had to use my spare ifle or scope. At least that I can recall.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yep, the last few years a M700 Classic 270 and M600 308....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
D
Hunting near home, a 15 minute drive, only one goes, whether it's bow season or gun season.

When we go to our property 4-5 hours away, it's either 2 rifles or 2 bows, pending type of season.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I can’t remember ever taking only 2 rifles. I usually have a half dozen different rifles on any hunting trip other than prairie dogs and then it is closer to a dozen...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes, always bring two. This fall it will be 4 (2 rifles, 2 shotguns).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yup, always bring two. The one time in 30+ years I did not bring two....the firing pin broke on my rifle and I was out of commission. Seriously.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
2 or 11. Whatever suits me. grin

Sometimes you just need a slump breaker.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by tzone
2 or 11. Whatever suits me. grin

Sometimes you just need a slump breaker.

always more than two

almost never 11.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.