B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
NOOOOOOOOOOO . . . . . . shocked

Say it isn't so . . . . . sick

You took a 30-06, PUSH FEED, and Cup and Core bullets into the Africa Bush. crazy

It can't be done I tell you . . . . . confused

I know this to be an impossibility. frown

I read it in Field and Stream. . . . . wink

BMT grin grin grin

Last edited by BMT; 03/21/07.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BMT

You took a 30-06, PUSH FEED, and Cup and Core bullets into the Africa Bush. crazy

BMT grin grin grin
Off with his head!! grinSteve

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I intend taking an '06 on the next trip (probably in '08), and I have taken a .308 Win on three hunts. In each case I used 180 grain bullets: Win FailSafe; Norma Oryx; and Speer Nitrex w/Grand Slam. Of course they load the same bullet in their .30-'06 loads (or did anyway).

All worked fine.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BMT

BMT grin grin grin

Friend Brian,

Funny Dude, very funny. grin grin

I must have friends in low places. Admittedly, I have very limited experience, but my PHs seeingly always use push-feeds, as well. Clive Lennox, my Zimbabwe PH used a Model 700 .375 H&H and we sat up in the leopard blind with him armed with an FN-FAL that he used for culling elephant (a .308, for pity's sake).

In the RSA, both of my PHs, Kjeld Kruger and Louis VonTonder, used Remington 700s in .375. Kjeld had a brand-new BRNO .375 but the (controlled-feed) extractor broke as he was feeding the very first round (that would give one confidence!!!!).

Kjeld actually fired his .375 as my backup. Remember that I mentioned double-shooting a waterbuck??? I was unfamiliar with the waterbuck's body size and misjudged the range. Anyway, I shot off a front leg and my PH, Kjeld Kruger, insisted on hunting him up from downhill. (It was not my plan, I've killed enough bear that I always go high and hunt down.)

The waterbuck was sulking in a steep revine.

As we approached from below, the damned waterbuck charged (no kidding). Kjeld got a mite excited and fired his rifle into the ground, scaring the everloving [bleep] out of both of us. Meanwhile, I took my time REAL FAST and shot the bugger in the mouth at about twenty feet.

The bullet blew a two-inch hole out the back of the head, but I was just happy that neither of us got hurt. Coulda been serious and paying attention to business bailed us out.

The hero photos are kinda cool; blood, drooping mouth and such (brains, [bleep] like that). Kinda hard-core. crazy crazy crazy

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I took a PF with cup/core bullets into the african bush, twice. What's the big deal, but people read what they want to read and discard what doesn't agree with their opinions.

We're all in agreement the 06 enjoys deity status, but as I stated previously, I was disappointed in the 180gr Hornady's performance on a lowly impala, so call me silly but I firmly believe the 300s with bonded core bullets give us children of a lesser god a better chance of putting our trophies in the salt, and I've experienced, read and seen enough about 700s that I just don't care for them. So shoot me. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread, and I have killed about 30-40 head of stuff with a 30/06, Clients have killed a bunch more but I am still with Jorge on this. Plus, my 300 RUM is just plain FUN!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by jstevens
Brent

Most of the airlines won't let you put it together. I've had to separate it many times at their request.

I did my homework prior to my last trip and found that not to be true. It has not been the case for the folks that I've hunted with either and they have flown many more times than I.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The last time I flew from Baltimore to Denver and back, I was told in no uncertain terms that there was to be no ammo in my gun case. The TSA agent removed it from my gun case and made me put it in a suitcase on the way out.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I suppose we should not be too suprised at the lack of consistency, but researching airline and TSA rules does not support that - at least that was the case this past summer.

I suspect that most fliers know more about the rules than most TSA/Airline employees.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A

Controlled-feed actions and premium bullets share one commonality:

You won't need the advantages they offer until you need those advantages very badly.......... wink

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dogzapper
The bullet blew a two-inch hole out the back of the head, but I was just happy that neither of us got hurt. Coulda been serious and paying attention to business bailed us out.

The hero photos are kinda cool; blood, drooping mouth and such (brains, [bleep] like that). Kinda hard-core. crazy crazy crazy

Steve

Steve:

I just LOVE your UN-pc way of describing things. cool cool cool

Your braining of a charging waterbuck with a push feed 30-06 and cup-and-core bullets clearly shows that the HUNTER makes the difference, not his equipment.

I was always struck by the fact that Jeff Cooper, a true Mauser lover and expert, was NOT concerned about push feed v. CRF issue. He even took his lion with a Rem 600 in 350 Mag.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friend Brian,

The Remington 700 was the same one. The rifle was a very well proven one before I took it on the first safari (prolly bonked 20-25 elk with it at that time). In the period between the two safaris, I had Mel stock and barrel it, but the action and bottom metal were left untouched.

The rifle is a perfect-feeder; well proven and the only kind to take on a big hunt.

Frankly, if a rifle is a perfect-feeder, I believe that the actual type of feed is not particularly important. As long as there is a round perfectly fed every time, that is all that is needful.

In the many tens of thousands of rounds (four barrels, by now) through this M-700, it has never failed to feed. All of it has been by me and I trust the action quite literally with my life.

Good action.

Brian, I wish you a great Lent. I gave up chewing Red Man; it is amazing that I could "Give it up." But I did.

I'm sponsoring a young man, Jason, in RCIA this session. Great kid and he is about to "graduate" come Easter.

Steve

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Steve:

Wonderful News! Gald to hear that you are a sponsor!

Check your PMs's.

BMT

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Steve,

Me too! I've sponsored a few in RCIA.

Now, about that 30-06. I could promise it a good home.....

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Steve,

Me too! I've sponsored a few in RCIA.

Now, about that 30-06. I could promise it a good home.....

Friend Dave,

Wow, that's great, I'm delighted to hear that you are involved in RCIA. Karen and I are "helpers." We get there an hour early, set up chairs, either bring treats or set them up and generally get the classroom ready. Then, after the RCIA class is over, it generally takes another hour to get everything cleaned up and put away.

We find the classes to be a fabulous battery-charger.

This year, the classes have been taught by our priest, Father Todd and by Sister Moira, who has a PhD, currently is adjunct professor of Theology at UofP. Sister Moira taught at the Vatican Theological Institute for 17 years and has been really helpful in helping us plan our upcoming Rome/Vatican/Assisi pilgrimage. Sister Moira is our especial friend; possibly the World's nicest, most sincere person.

The Remington 700 that I used in Africa is a real Paul Harvey "The Rest Of The Story." Because it is the most trustworthy action I've ever owned, the action ended up being the major part of my CPR .280 Ackley. That is the "old" one that I've used so much and have killed so much with. It is my go-to rifle for everything.

You handled the rifle when you visited us. It's the .280 with the sliiiick hard-chromed action, three-contour Schneider with the black McMillan Classic stock. The weight, with a 3.5-10 Leupold, sling and five boolits, is exactly 8.5 pounds.

Currently, the barrel has about 3,000 rounds through it, but it still shoots like a youngster. I love this rifle.

YOu might remember that I have an absolutely matching .25-'06. Again, a super killer and a superbly accurate rifle.

My friend, when and if I ever decide to sell either rifle, I will be sure to let you know. That is aa promise.

Your buddy Steve

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Friend Steve,

Thanks for the reply.

I go "under the knife" for shoulder surgery on 10 April. The doc says everything should heal in a year, and back to big (338+) boomers.

But, I have been taking an informal unscientific survey of those with similar ailments, and they say a 30-06 will be my future big gun.

They also say that once sent to small bore heck, they wonder why they didn't go willingly, as everything dies just as fast, without the ugly recoil of a big caliber rifle.

YBC,

David

Last edited by David_Walter; 03/23/07.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Friend Dave,

So true, so true. I've been using my .25-'06 a lot in recent years and find that it electrocutes deer and antelope. Strange about that. crazy crazy

As you probably know, I had extensive shoulder surgery a little less than two years ago. If you think it would help and you want to talk about it, I'd be pleased to rap about it; either by PM or by phone (503-652-1165).

If it is any of the several rotator cuff situations, the one-year prognosis is probably right on target. And maybe longer. In my case, it is turning out to be much longer.

Yeah, .338s and 416s are a thing of the past for you, brother. cry

YBC,

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Allen:
I am thoroughly enjoying this thread and grinning from ear to ear as Steve, who has more experience than I'll ever have, blows away some very settled opinions and "facts!"

Just when I thought I had it all figured out.

Long live Interlocks and Pushfeeds!

ScottW

Warm trails and blue skies!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just a comment in regard to the heavy handling on gun cases by the airlines. I work with baggage handlers regularly as a part of my piloting job and can confirm that (from their perspective) there is little incentive to be careful with our treasures as they are paid either minumum wage or barely above. The turnover, generally, is very high compared to other airline jobs. (Actually, come to think of it, the "lav guy" who drains out the lav sumps doesn't tend to stick around very long either!).

Warm trails and blue skies!
A
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
A
I started this thread after growing weary of the mentality that says that all African big game is so very tough that anything less than a bullet from a 375 H&H just isn't up to the task, and lot of clients (and even PHs) have been brainwashed into thinking that way.

I've known Steve for many years, and I know beyond question what he's done with the Ought-Six in North America, as well as in Africa. Let the facts speak for themselves! wink

AD

"The placing of the bullet is everything. The most powerful weapon made will not make up for lack of skill in marksmanship."

Colonel Townsend Whelen
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (1234, 007FJ, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,415
Posts18,470,496
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.