Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Sporter project. A year of working on this WW1 veteran, demilitarized in the 1960's?. It was a project rifle I bought a year ago at a good price. Someone left it in a case for many years. Barrel was rusted and pitted on one side. Fingerprints were etched into the receiver where someone handled it with sweaty hands and didn't wipe it off. Turned the barrel to clean up the rust, cerakoted the receiver and barrel. Left the bolt and trigger guard in the white. Stripped the stock of the old polyurethane and refinished with tung oil oil that lets the figure in the wood come out. Added a new recoil pad. Found a target trigger on flea bay. Now has a 4lb trigger pull and very smooth. Mounted the scope today and realized that scope mount holes are not parallel to the bore. Fix will take a month or so and will put a custom picatinny rail on it. Rifle weighs 9 lbs 6 oz. Thinking about a new scope.
Good thing I am not in a hurry and my wife understands my obsession with old rifles.

Images in link below

https://www.flickr.com/gp/john_in_texas/G737bt

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I can appreciate that one. Are you going to get rid of the military trigger and replace it with a Timney? You going to convert it to cock on open, or has that already been done? The bottom metal needs some bluing or cerakote too. Looks like you cleaned her up good, now to finish it a little more. Nice rifle though.. Probably shoots great, like all m1917's I've owned... One word of advice, go with a lighter set of rings and throw that picatiny idea out the window. A nice set of Burris zee rings would work very well on your rifle, after you re-drill the front and rear bridge to get the mounts in proper alignment with the bore.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Has a Timney trigger in it now. Havent decided how I will finish the bottom metal. Yes I will level the scope mounts. Rail or rings don't know yet.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I love the M17s.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a similar 1917 Winchester project rifle in .300 H&H, I bought cheap $99 + tax and most of the hard work was done. The belly had been taken out of the trigger guard, a speed lock kit had been added to convert it to cock on open, bolt face opened or swapped for a P14 bolt, original barrel rechambered, and it had been reworked to feed flawlessly. I had to find a scope base that would fit the holes that were already D&T in the action, all I found was a one piece Redfield style base with windage adjustment but it fit with a little mill work. I also added a Timney trigger and laminate wood stock.

Here's a pic after I got a scope mounted on it, wish that old B&L 3000 2-7X had held zero I liked the longer tube on it.

[Linked Image]

Here it is as it pretty much sits today. Things I don't like about it are: It's very heavy, and not enough tube on the Leupold to give proper eye relief without having to creep on the stock. The laminate stock is just too big overall to fit my hands, I kind of actually gave up working on it as it's hell on the hands and my rasps. I'd love to replace the recoil pad, but that will not happen until I get the stock closer to finished or find one I like better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Things I do like about the rifle is it's been extremely accurate, and it doesn't seem finicky as to type of bullets. I've pretty much settled on 180 and 200 grain Nosler PT for it though and even killed a mature 4 point mule deer with it. However, I'll probably never hunt it again because of the things I don't like about it.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm real partial to the Enfield P Action.... 1914 and 1917....

as I like to say, they are built like a 53 Buick. big heavy, tough....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wonderful resurrections of some rifles. Thanks for sharing

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I knew a guy in Oregon that built a 219 zipper on one them it was the p14. He never had to worry about blowing her up lol. I also have one of the last bottom metal that Duane Weibe made for them. Hell its worth more than my barreled action lol..

Last edited by 79S; 04/23/18.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I have a similar 1917 Winchester project rifle in .300 H&H, I bought cheap $99 + tax and most of the hard work was done. The belly had been taken out of the trigger guard, a speed lock kit had been added to convert it to cock on open, bolt face opened or swapped for a P14 bolt, original barrel rechambered, and it had been reworked to feed flawlessly. I had to find a scope base that would fit the holes that were already D&T in the action, all I found was a one piece Redfield style base with windage adjustment but it fit with a little mill work. I also added a Timney trigger and laminate wood stock.

Here's a pic after I got a scope mounted on it, wish that old B&L 3000 2-7X had held zero I liked the longer tube on it.

[Linked Image]

Here it is as it pretty much sits today. Things I don't like about it are: It's very heavy, and not enough tube on the Leupold to give proper eye relief without having to creep on the stock. The laminate stock is just too big overall to fit my hands, I kind of actually gave up working on it as it's hell on the hands and my rasps. I'd love to replace the recoil pad, but that will not happen until I get the stock closer to finished or find one I like better.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Things I do like about the rifle is it's been extremely accurate, and it doesn't seem finicky as to type of bullets. I've pretty much settled on 180 and 200 grain Nosler PT for it though and even killed a mature 4 point mule deer with it. However, I'll probably never hunt it again because of the things I don't like about it.

Finding a scope that's long enough for this rifle has been a challenge, eye relief is also an issue with me. I am paying a lot more attention to the eye box on the new scopes with this rifle. My old Burris 3-9X is at least 2" longer than the new scopes I have looked at. That's one reason I am considering a rail. I agree about your comment about the weight. At 9.5 lbs I won't be carrying it in the woods for very long. My stock feels great after refinishing it. A little thick in some places.

D
DMW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
taylorce1 ,
I sent you a PM regarding the rail you used on your 1917...It looks like you went Burris. What rifle was the rail originally intended for? And is it standard length, or magnum length?

I need to buy one, and am considering Leupold, but I am not sure what rail I need to buy that mostly fits (concerned about length and front receiver ring contour...I know will probably have to modify the rear bottom of the rail to sit properly on my action.

Thanks
DW

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by taylorce1

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

super nice!!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Man, it might be heavy as a 300, but it would be right at home in any number of the big guys in the 375/416 class cartridge! Very cool Taylor. Neat old rifle.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That looks like fun, especially if it ends up a good shooter. Then you can say with all seriousness to the curious -- oh, it was the prototype for the Rem 660. Poker face.
Good luck.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,325 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,517
Posts18,490,928
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.