Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
maybe a custom knife or a great pair of binoculars is in order if you are not sure on which rifle....

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by shinbone

Get something classic and beautiful and unique and useful and and super high quality in a good hunting caliber. (270Win or 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice.) Something that he will like, but would not buy for himself. Something that in 20, 40, 60 years will grow in value due to its high quality and irreplaceability.

So, my father and I have VERY different tastes.
Speaking from a son perspective - the ONLY gift in something wood/blued that I'd appreciate is one that was passed from my father - something he used and made memories with.
A new thing that suit his tastes - would get used, like, NEVER.

My wife is well known for giving the perfect gift for the person.

Ask how she does it?
"I look at what they wear/use, and what they show interest in. Then I try to buy what they like".

Buy the boy a Kimber Montana. Put Talley's on it. Have the top of the rings engraved with something prophetic, and "for your graduation, love Dad.
It will be used.

At some long off time, it will bring good tears.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Both of my sons are into black rifles too, heck most late teen and young 20 somethings are. I can only imagine the groans and eye rolls I'd get were I to buy either of my boys a "wood and blue" rifle.

Matter of fact, only after helping them build a couple of ARs did I get into them myself. Now I'm hooked too. Come on in, man, the water's warm. smile

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well now that I’m all kinda uncertain as too what I wanna do......
Thanks!

I do have 1 rifle that was my first rifle and still my go to outta the dozens I own. It’s beat all to hell and has killed tons of critters but I really don’t think he’d accept it at this point, he knows I cherish it and would feel bad I think.

We are spending a long weekend starting tomorrow morning, just me and him. Gonna work cattle and stay at our camp and hunt. I think I’m gonna have a good conversation about his wants and wishes and see what comes of it.

Wish me luck

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Get something classic and beautiful and unique and useful and and super high quality in a good hunting caliber. (270Win or 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice.) Something that he will like, but would not buy for himself. Something that in 20, 40, 60 years will grow in value due to its high quality and irreplaceability.

Speaking from a son perspective - the ONLY gift in something wood/blued that I'd appreciate is one that was passed from my father - something he used and made memories with.

Yup. Forcing blued/walnut on someone because it's what you think they should have is arrogant and dumb.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ScrapIron
Well now that I’m all kinda uncertain as too what I wanna do......
Thanks!

I do have 1 rifle that was my first rifle and still my go to outta the dozens I own. It’s beat all to hell and has killed tons of critters but I really don’t think he’d accept it at this point, he knows I cherish it and would feel bad I think.

We are spending a long weekend starting tomorrow morning, just me and him. Gonna work cattle and stay at our camp and hunt. I think I’m gonna have a good conversation about his wants and wishes and see what comes of it.

Wish me luck

If you'd actually be willing to part with your, "Ol' Faithful" rifle, I think that speaks volumes about your opinion of the lad. If you explain that to him, and encourage him to go make his own memories with that rifle, he just might accept. And the fact that it's already got its "badge of honor" marks + scratches might make him less paranoid about taking it afield, himself. No rifle from a store will come with a family history like that.

Then again, if your gut tells you it's not yet time to pass that rifle along, you gotta pay heed to that feeling, too.

There's also that pesky fact about the rifle having to fit him well and/or feel natural in his hands. Awkwardness in these areas is hard to overcome, even if it is Dad's Ol' Faithful rifle.

Regardless, I'm sure neither of you will forget the conversations & decision-making process you'll go through to decide on his rifle. Savor this time with him.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Mike74

Yup. Forcing blued/walnut on someone because it's what you think they should have is arrogant and dumb.

Yea the idea the man had(notice had because he is rethinking it. I know that because I read his post) about giving his son a rifle makes him such a dumb arrogant person....

It was brought to his attention he might consider something his son likes. To suggest he's arrogant and dumb is well......

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I’m far from arrogant and really far from dumb.
Stuff like that is why I hate the dang internet.
I can afford to buy him a dozen of everything he wants and likes, but I’ve never spoiled or been one to give anything that isn’t earned.

Hell all I was looking for was ideas cause I been pondering this purchase for 18 years.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
ScrapIron

Just realized you're in Gonzales county, whereabout do you hunt? We usedto have a place about a mile east of the intersection of Hwy 80 & Hwy 90 on the north side of hwy 90. Fond memories!

David

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I own a few K south county towards the Dewitt and Karnes county line.
South of 87 about 10 miles from smiley.
Big big deer here now, ain’t like it used to be

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

I think your dumb and arrogant for forcing your worthless wannabe opinion on me. How’s that biatch

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
You can ask. But, you do not always have to be obvious. I surreptitiously asked a grandson which of two rifles he thought was a better rifle as I was tinkering around, getting ready to sight them in. After handling both for a couple minutes, he indicated that he preferred the Kimber Classic Select .270 over the custom Mauser 7x57. The Kimber now sits in a gun safe with his name on a hang tag waiting for his graduation in 18 months.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
[

Well, I'd consider getting him something he'd be truly excited about, not something dad prefers. smile
[/quote]

Agree with this statement 100%.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 18 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,334
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.