Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
About time to replace my 23 year old Garmin 45 with a unit that has topo maps preloaded. I see Garmin has two variants in this line, one operates by pushing buttons, the other is a touchscreen.

Pros and Cons of each?

thanks,

Rob

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
You can press buttons with wet fingers, or gloved fingers.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by dan_oz
You can press buttons with wet fingers, or gloved fingers.

Exactly. I bought some "touch screen sensitive" gloves so I could use my iPhone without taking my gloves off.

Ain't worth a damn. I have to swipe with my nose and the app opens up maybe half the time.

E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Not exactly on subject but I bought a new one after my old one as stolen. It put after 2 months. Could not return to store and never or a address to send in for warranty. Never again. Ed k

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have an Oregon 550t which has a touchscreen and have never had an issue using it. I really like the light weight and compact size. It fits nicely in the side pocket of my bino bivvy, cargo pocket, or in my fishing vest.

We have enough youth, how about a fountain of SMART???
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
655t for me. I have had no issues with it since I bought it 5 or 6 years ago. It has the touch screen.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you can wait until around end of the month, Cabela's should be coming out with a holiday sales flyer for Christmas. I bought several items out of that flyer last year, but didn't buy the Garmin GPS, simply because I had run out of fun/gun money. smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Buddons!

And fug Bass Pro(cabelas)!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Mama said GPS is the debils instrament.

Go with buttons.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I'd think they gotta be near a new upgraded wonder model? Touchscreen and buttons. Something like a 5" screen, Android or maybe OS X. Has onX Hunt. Makes calls. Has ballistic solver. Internet. Bluetooth. WiFi. A camera or two. Flashlight. Gotta think they're on the horizon....

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've used both quite a bit and prefer touchscreen. My Garmin Montana does have an issue in that after I use it, I have to lock the screen before I put it in my pocket or it can do all kinds of things as the pocket fabric rubs around on it.
To me, a bigger problem is the polarized screen. If I'm wearing polarized sun glasses, which is much of the time, I have to hold it horizontally or it blacks out. Polarized lenses do that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am sticking with the buttons. My GPSMAP 64st works great

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unless the screen in the size of a big cell phone, with cold hands, buttons are my preference.

I like dedicated GPS's.

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Brazos
Buddons!

And fug Bass Pro(cabelas)!

To each his own. I've gotten some screaming deals from Cabela's. Not so much from BassPro.

Was sorry to see BassPro take over Cabela's.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Except for extended (5 days or more) trips into deep backcountry smartphone apps are TOTALLY the way to go.

OnXMaps is just phenomenal in its clarity and versatility I can’t imagine going back to a little tiny grainy crumby handheld unit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Except for extended (5 days or more) trips into deep backcountry smartphone apps are TOTALLY the way to go.

With sealed & non-replaceable batteries, unless you have access to charging capabilities, I surely can't agree with that.

If you can charge them, then they are fine, but full on, all day usage away from a charger is still very marginal.

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have the Oregon and Montana. Both work well, but the Montana is pretty bulky and heavy, The Montana is easier to use because the screen is larger, but I usually use the Oregon due to size.
I wish there was a model that was lighter, and the batteries lasted longer.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by efw

With sealed & non-replaceable batteries, unless you have access to charging capabilities, I surely can't agree with that.

If you can charge them, then they are fine, but full on, all day usage away from a charger is still very marginal.

MM

Yeah the energy capacity is indeed the issue; that’s why I mentioned the 5 day limitation.

With OnXMaps you can run on airplane mode which with my phone lasts 2 days from a full charge. A back up charge is the same bulk as replacement batteries for my GPS, so for me 4 days is max.

The advantages in functionality more than make up for that issue for me. Obviously YMMV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use BackCountry Navigator & with a Samsung Note in airplane mode, I cannot get much more than a day of all on use w/o needing a re-charge so I turn it off when not needed for awhile.

I have several spare plug-in battery packs too, but IMO, the dedicated handhelds just are more convenient & do enough of what I need with no fuss, no muss.

Everyone's needs are different & so are expectations so I guess that's why there are so many options today. grin

MM

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Everyone's needs are different & so are expectations so I guess that's why there are so many options today. grin

MM

TROOF!!!!!

Amen man I love that free market!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10Glocks, anothergun, BB3, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 622 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,514
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.