-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
How's everyone doing? I was just wondering if any of you are familiar with the Remington 760 gamemaster 30-06 cal.? It's my grandfathers old gun and i'm hoping to hunt with it this year. I traced it's production date to 1953 or 54. Of course i'm gonna have it checked out before I shoot it, but any positives or negatives about the gun are greatly appreciated.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
GB1

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
One of the Classic woods rifles of all time..

I think with good ammo they will shoot nearly as well as many bolt guns and better than most folks can shoot in the field.

Strong, accurate, and reliable.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neat old guns, and the 2 that I've had were both quite accurate (sub inch)right from the get go.

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A lot in my family have the 760 GM, including myself (a 243). Things I've learned over the years:

1. If the forward sling swivel is on a barrel band, DO NOT use your sling to steady shots. If your pulling down on the sling, your shots will go low.

2. When sighting in or practicing, a lot of folks lay the barrel on the rest. This creates pressure on the barrel and will mess up your POI when not shooting from a rest.

3. Keep the action very clean. For the most part, its more important to keep the action clean than the barrel. Use Remoil when your done cleaning it as a lube. If you hunt where it's dusty (or very cold) the action will get gritty if there's oil in the action (or frozen shut).

4. When cleaning the barrel, use a bore guide to protect the crown and a rag in the ejection port to prevent the cleaning fluids from seeping down into the action. You have to clean it through the end of the barrel.

5. If it doesn't shoot well, the first thing to do is to have it recrowned. Most folks don't know they should protect the crown when cleaning.

6. NEVER EVER slam the stock against a rock/tree to try to open up a stuck action. You'll only succeed in cracking the stock and replacements are tough to find. Ebay has some but you'll pay a lot for it.

I don't use my 760 much any more but my 8 year old says that's the rifle he wants to hunt with so it will get passed on to him. Mine is almost 40 years old and still works very reliably. The only thing I've had to do is replace a weak ejector spring.

RH

Last edited by himmelrr; 03/24/07.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by himmelrr

4. When cleaning the barrel, use a bore guide to protect the crown and a rag in the ejection port to prevent the cleaning fluids from seeping down into the action. You have to clean it through the end of the barrel.

5. If it doesn't shoot well, the first thing to do is to have it recrowned. Most folks don't know they should protect the crown when cleaning.

On my pumps I use a .223 case with the head cut off for a bore guide. The ''bullet'' end of the case will fit perfectly into the muzzle, saving the crown. I just slip it on the rod and leave it there.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't add much to what's all ready been said. These guys have covered it very well. My only add on would be to be careful with extra clips. I'd look for an older used one at a shop or gun show if you feel the need to pick one up. Some of the aftermarket clips are jam-prone and don't insert very easily. This is a great deer gun, and as was said, will usually shoot better than many hunters are capable of shooting it. Welcome to the campfire.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the useful information, I really appreciate it.

HUNTERS, THE ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When cleaning the barrel, use a bore guide to protect the crown and a rag in the ejection port to prevent the cleaning fluids from seeping down into the action. You have to clean it through the end of the barrel.

You can also drop the trigger group so the gunk doesn't get into the action. Doing so will allow you to clean the interior of the receiver and the trigger group.

NEVER EVER slam the stock against a rock/tree to try to open up a stuck action. You'll only succeed in cracking the stock and replacements are tough to find. Ebay has some but you'll pay a lot for it.

Damn, who would do something like that, slam the buttstock of their rifle against a rock or a tree! I hope that advise wasn't given from experience!

The Remington slide actions are classic timber rifles. They work so well I can't understand why Remington even bothers with their not so great semi-auto rifle. The 742/7400/Model Four/new 750 rifles have probably caused more frustrated shooters to slander the Remington name than any other firearm Remington has ever produced. Not so the excellent pump rifles.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent several years working as a rangemaster, and if there was one gun we could count on to A) jam frequently and B) group poorly, it was any version of the Remington semi-autos. It's just not that good of a gun. Having said that, I know I'll get some replies from guys who have 7400's shooting just fine, and good for them, but by and large, these guns just don't usually group very good. Make the first shot count, and then you don't need to worry about a quick second shot.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I spent several years working as a rangemaster, and if there was one gun we could count on to A) jam frequently and B) group poorly, it was any version of the Remington semi-autos. It's just not that good of a gun. Having said that, I know I'll get some replies from guys who have 7400's shooting just fine, and good for them, but by and large, these guns just don't usually group very good. Make the first shot count, and then you don't need to worry about a quick second shot.

Yeah, you're right, and I'll be the first. smile

I had an old Remington M740 in 30-06 that shot extremely well and never jammed.

Then one day I bought my wife a new 7400 in 270 'cause she thought she wanted an auto for deer hunting. Jam city. That "rifle" went back the same day I bought it.

The Remington pump guns typically shoot as accurately (or moreso) as most bolt actions. Heed the advice here about not resting on the barrel, and not shooting with a tight sling.
_

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
Damn, who would do something like that, slam the buttstock of their rifle against a rock or a tree! I hope that advise wasn't given from experience!

Yes, it is from experience. I have an uncle that NEVER cleans any part of his rifles. On one hunting trip to Maine, it was raining and then turned really cold. His rifle froze up, he slammed it against tree and cracked the stock. Over the years, I've run into plenty of folks in PA that have duct tape to keep their 760 stock together. The way Remington attaches the stock is a weak point of the 740/760 series rifles.

One last tip is to remove the butt plate and seal the end of the stock. Remington either didn't seal it or didn't do it well.

RH

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 160user, 47 invisible), 14,988 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,333
Posts18,546,128
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.