Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Want to scope my 338ftw for long shots out to 500yds what would you guys say is the best keep it reasonable.

GB1

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
By far the best is the Nightforce but to keep it more reasonable I would suggest a VX III, Zeiss Conquest, Nikon Monarch or Tactical.

Also are you going to dial the scope or do you want to use a retcile?

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
DIAL, How much are we talking about the night force and which one in there line up might be best. thanks for the info supermag.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Leupold 4.5-14 with custom reticle dots from 100 to 500

[Linked Image]
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I believe the Nightforce scopes are around $1200. The NXS series is the one to get as for power maybe a 3.5-14 but that's up to you and the type of game you're after. The reticle choice is also very large with these scopes so that is another decision. If you want to know more go to the longrangehunting forum and search for information.

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think the Nightforce scope is a waste of money if you are talking about a 500 yd hunting rifle. They weigh something like 31 OZ as well. They are robust. They are certainly good tactical scopes, but not something you would want to put on a hunting rifle unless you could drive to your stand with a truck!

A much more reasonable scope is the Leupold VXIII longrange series. They are in the $500 range and with a B&C reticle or Varmint hunter reticle, you would be able to hold on out to 500 yds no problem. If you like dials, you could order it with either target dials or the M3 dials.

A step down in price and a very good scope for the money is a Burris FFII with their long range reticle.

Nikon has a similar reticle but is way too fine and near impossible to see in anything but good light.

I have both the Long range and regular VXIII in 4.5x14 with and w/o B&C reticle. Great scopes.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know where you are getting a VXIII LR for that price but I've never seen them out of the $750 range (add a couple hundred for target turrets). The Mark 4 scopes (with target turrents etc) are in the $1000 range. Don't get me wrong the Leupolds are great hunting scopes if you don't want/need to dial the knobs but they don't always track accurately.

From all the customer service nightmares I've heard, I would stay far away from the Burris scopes. Nikon does produce a tactical scope that has gotten good reviews, these are in the $800 range.

The Nightforce is a heavy scope but it is very tough and one of the long range scopes available.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I saw a Swaroski scope yesterday at a gun show. It was mounted on a Barrett 82A1. The seller told me that it has a built in laser rangefinder and will give you a printout. Only $4,500.00
He wanted to sell it with the rifle.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have tried several scopes & should have bought a Nightforce to begin with. I am currently shooting a Swarovski 4x12x50 TDS & like it very much, however it will be replaced with a Nigthforce 3.5X15X50 NXS. For true long range I now think turrets work better. I am undecided on the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticle. Do a search on Nightforce optics or go to www.longrangehunting.com.

Before I spent alot on the scope & would make sure that I had a very good rangefinder first. I run a leica.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I think I paid under $600 for mine and it has the B&C reticle.

As for Burris- I have had one go bad, a 4-12 compact. I sent it back and they returned it to me within 3 weeks- working perfectly.

On the other hand- Bushnell has the worst customer service in the industry. I wouldn't buy another Bushnell product if they made the last variable power scope in the world- and I think they have the best range finders going right now-

NRA Benefactor Member

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I looked on Bear Basin and that is the price for the regular 4.5-14 scope. The LR with the side focus and the 30 mm tube are priced at the $700 range for most scopes.

while doing this research I found another option. It looks like Leupold is making a economy model tactical scope, the Mark II. It might be something to check out.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Doesn't take much for 500 yards. Fixed 6x of your liking and mil dots or turrets. I prefer turrets but can easily live with dots or stadia, especially if you practice like you should.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I paid $589 for mine! I have a good source. We end up doing about 10K in an order to get these prices. I bought 3 or 4 last time and will do another as soon as we have enough need. I probably won't get anymore LR models- too heavy. I need a couple of 2-7 VXIIs and 2.5-8 VXIIIs.

NRA Benefactor Member

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SHW
I have tried several scopes & should have bought a Nightforce to begin with. I am currently shooting a Swarovski 4x12x50 TDS & like it very much, however it will be replaced with a Nigthforce 3.5X15X50 NXS. For true long range I now think turrets work better. I am undecided on the NP-R1 or NP-R2 reticle. Do a search on Nightforce optics or go to www.longrangehunting.com.

Before I spent alot on the scope & would make sure that I had a very good rangefinder first. I run a leica.

+1

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
just bought a new nxs3.5x15x50, paid 1340,the quality is awesome,they make several different models, all depends what you like,yes their heavier cause their built very strong.i bought mine to hunt with,yes i own leupolds quite a few,on your 338 magnum i'd mount a 6.5x20x40 or 50 leupold,target turrents work plain and simple, beats a screw-driver or coin at least in my book, that scope 6.5x20x whatever mm bell your going with is a hinderence shooting game close, consider a 4.5 x14,in what ever mm bell you want,zeiss is also in the running,as are top scope brands here or over-seas,my 338 worked fine with my 6.5x20x40 ao leupold but that was target shooting ,good luck,jeff pie.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I l;ike leupold, the VX L for target and the Mark 4 4 x 15 x 40 wwould be great for a long-range hunting rifle, as would ant VXIII that set up to 10X and have a 40mm objectice

Born Pre-War and Proud of it!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It took me over a year to save up for good glass. During that time I did my homework and also concluded that NightForce is a top contender in the L.R game. Heavy, but I'm not carrying the rifle beyond a mile. I will have mine on order within a week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
i would like to place long range scope on a 300 wm and am concerned about eye relief know the leupolds are good how do the others comepare ? also what is the warrentee like on the zeiss conquests thanks in advance

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a Weatherby fan and I use my 378 for all my serious hunting. Some years ago I notice my fine walnut stock getting damaged so I installed a composite stock to save my wood. I noticed that my shoulder was getting more punishment than usual at the range. An old boy told me there is a reason for a heavy gun because of heavy recoil. I took my leupold off and mounted the heavier NF to increase my total rifle weight and the punishment to my shoulder reduced considerably. I use the 3.5-15x56mm NXS RF and i really like it. It bounces around all day on my quad and never shoots off. 3.5 for the close in shots and 15 for the long ones. The range finder works only at 15 power for sizing targets in the little circles out to 800yds. I no longer need to carry my rangefinder because one in built in to the scope. If the moose's head fits in the circle I just read the yardage and crank my turret and it lopes them in there very consistently. Awesome product. They were primarily designed to kill humans but they work well on game also.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
SHW Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This is where my new Nightforce will be coming from: www.knesekguns.com

Last edited by SHW; 04/01/07.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 17 invisible), 1,469 guests, and 856 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,649
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.