Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I haven't seen any Jim Carmichel material in a long time; figured he had been long retired. He used to do some pretty decent cast bullet articles for HANDLOADER in the '70s (I think).

GB1

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Has anyone read the book "Just Jim" or his columns in vintage editions of "Handloader"? I don't understand how the linked article can be associated with the Jim I know.

KenO

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Neither do I, but apparently anything can happen in this day of the Internet.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
From what I understand, Jim Carmichael is a made up person. He is actually Jim Lutz, of Papillion, Nebraska. Apparently, he got into hot water in town recently when he told hunters,

"Don't ever shoot your favorite Creedmoor load over a chronograph, you'll be disappointed."

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
“They are the best propellants to use at night when hunting deer because they are particularly designed to reduce muzzle flash”

Guess he did a lot of night hunting too.........maybe from a dark country backroad.😄

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A full metal jacket - recommended for deer?
Sum ting's wong - I believe.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey guys, haven't you figured out yet that Jim sent this too me tongue in cheek. This is typical internet, tell somebody that you are digging a hole and 5 pages hence they are arguing over how tall the hole happens to be. I believe his book
Classic Carmichel: Stories from the Field
was his last commercial effort. It is just emails now about good jokes, politics, and very little gun related items.
From his back yard.
[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
WTF there's no unreading that monumental assemblage of BS. SMH

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Butch,

Some of us (apparently those who've actually read a lot of Carmichel) realized it was TIC!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The link takes you to a phishing site. No pun intended. A fake site whose purpose is to gather information from visitors who sign up for their news feed/blog.

That said...

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get a kick out of these threads. Just like the one's that tell me that because we now have a 6.5 creedmoor that my trusty old .30-06 loaded with a 220 grain round nose bullet wont kill an elk at 40 yards.

Just sitting here grinning.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Owl,

I am trying to understand why you think that a 30-06 is sufficient for elk. The bullet is incapable of handling a creature larger than a coyote. Even then, you have to be concerned with the range. It is a round nose, after all. 40 yards is a stretch.

Someone will be along shortly to provide a bona fide link to support this. (not a phake phishing link)

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jim Carmichael was very good. Wish he was still writing. I liked his writing much more than JOC’s.

But that article was very persuasive, there is information in that article that very few people could have possibly known. Sounded like the dude might have been the Army Drill Instructor one of my brothers had, who told my brother the M-16 is not affected by wind.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Okay, What am I missing? The link takes me to a two year old article on Wilderness Mastery by Shawn Harrison about 223.

Back in the 70s, I anxiously awaited any chance to get hold of a new issue of Outdoor Life, just for Jim Carmichael's cartridge profile articles. I cut out Carmichael's articles and collected them in a three ring binder for later comparisons and study.

Carmichael's "Book of the Rifle" was my first real gun text. I must have read it a half dozen times, and kept it close to hand when attempting my early home gunsmithing tasks.

I have nothing but admiration and respect for "Gentleman Jim" and all of his accomplishments as a writer and rifleman.

I agree with you.

μολὼν λαβέ
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am currently re-reading Carmichaels book The Modern Rifle for the umpteenth time, there are a lot of so-called gunwriters who should read it and learn how to write an interesting and unbiased book. After all of these years the info he wrote is still relevant and common sense.

Aside - I had the pleasure of shooting with him at the NRA High-Powere Silhouette Championships at Raton a couple of decades ago. We did quite a bit of visiting during lunch breaks, it would be hard to find a nicer person or more rounded competitor than he is, it is my understanding that he is still competing in Benchrest competitions and is still posting some good scores.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Butch,

Some of us (apparently those who've actually read a lot of Carmichel) realized it was TIC!

I know John. The article was a fun read and I expect most saw it as how it was meant.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Owl
I get a kick out of these threads. Just like the one's that tell me that because we now have a 6.5 creedmoor that my trusty old .30-06 loaded with a 220 grain round nose bullet wont kill an elk at 40 yards.

Just sitting here grinning.

Ingwe will be along soon to tell you that the same thing happened when the '06 came out, and the percussion rifle before that, and gunpowder.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Butch,

Absolutely !

None are so blind as those ......

Others are just DENSE.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by drover
I am currently re-reading Carmichaels book The Modern Rifle for the umpteenth time, there are a lot of so-called gunwriters who should read it and learn how to write an interesting and unbiased book. After all of these years the info he wrote is still relevant and common sense.

Aside - I had the pleasure of shooting with him at the NRA High-Powere Silhouette Championships at Raton a couple of decades ago. We did quite a bit of visiting during lunch breaks, it would be hard to find a nicer person or more rounded competitor than he is, it is my understanding that he is still competing in Benchrest competitions and is still posting some good scores.

drover

I first met Jim several years ago at the Super Shoot in Ohio. I shot on the bench next to Jim. The group I shot was very small and Jim said,"Lambert, that is a great group that you shot on my target". Pretty embarrassing to me. Later that evening he made me a fruit jar size martini and things were good again.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (AB2506, 300_savage, 7mm_Loco, 21, 8 invisible), 1,372 guests, and 817 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,895
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.