Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
A few months ago on this forum, I had responded on a thread about the M100's that my 100 in a 284 Win would not eject the empty cartridges. I had all the internal parts I thought that I could without spending more $$ than I wanted on a gun that, even if I had replaced the $300 part, there were no guarantees it would then operate correctly.

There was a gentleman responded on that thread that he had replaced 2 springs in his rifle with 1 spring that Wolff Springs sold. His rifle was acting the same way as mine was. It couldn't hurt as the spring was only $12 so I ordered it. Bottom line, I just got around to getting it changed out. Took it out today, put 3 rounds in the magazine, loaded 1 of them into the chamber. It cycled the 2 in the magazine perfectly! I am not tickled to death.

My only regret is, I wish I had known of it before I had the chamber polished and the parts changed out. It would be interesting to know if the spring would have fixed it without the other stuff. $12 instead of all the parts changing out. Anyway, if you have a 100 that is not wanting to eject the empties as it should...give it a try. I am including the link.

M100 Recoil Spring Pack

To the gentleman who gave me the key to it working. Many thanks as I was ready to part it out. Thanks, my Friend!

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
A few months ago on this forum, I had responded on a thread about the M100's that my 100 in a 284 Win would not eject the empty cartridges. I had all the internal parts I thought that I could without spending more $$ than I wanted on a gun that, even if I had replaced the $300 part, there were no guarantees it would then operate correctly.

There was a gentleman responded on that thread that he had replaced 2 springs in his rifle with 1 spring that Wolff Springs sold. His rifle was acting the same way as mine was. It couldn't hurt as the spring was only $12 so I ordered it. Bottom line, I just got around to getting it changed out. Took it out today, put 3 rounds in the magazine, loaded 1 of them into the chamber. It cycled the 2 in the magazine perfectly! I am not tickled to death.

My only regret is, I wish I had known of it before I had the chamber polished and the parts changed out. It would be interesting to know if the spring would have fixed it without the other stuff. $12 instead of all the parts changing out. Anyway, if you have a 100 that is not wanting to eject the empties as it should...give it a try. I am including the link.

M100 Recoil Spring Pack

To the gentleman who gave me the key to it working. Many thanks as I was ready to part it out. Thanks, my Friend!

A little chamber polishing is never a bad thing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

M100 Recoil Spring Pack

A little chamber polishing is never a bad thing...

On a M100, it's a must..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Point ceded!

wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The thread title had me thinking acetylene torch.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mathman
The thread title had me thinking acetylene torch.
Not a bad option.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Redneck, I know your affection for the Win 100... blush

Compared to the Rem 740, which one is mo worser/mo better...?

DF

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Thank You. Haven't needed one yet, but sounds like I will.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

I hope he chooses the 740 or 742. I'm not a big fan of the 100 as I have had one in all 3 calibers and this is my 2nd 284. I'm just a fan of the 284 Win. This 100 will have to do until I can find an old 77 in it that I can trade into or afford.

I am sure most of the old 100's need the chamber polished. My point was, I had the chamber polished and other things done to but it still would not eject the empty cartridge. I was throwing this out there in case anyone had the same problem and it is a cheap thing to check before having a lot of what could possibly be unnecessary fixes. It certainly seems to have fixed my issue...cheaply.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If you are using handloads in your autoloading rifle, you should probably use small-base dies to size your brass. Having owned a Remington 742 in 308 and handloaded for several others, I know this to be so. Years ago I loaded for a friend who had a 742, and for his father, who also had a 742. His father wouldn't use handloads as he had a problem with them once. He scrubbed the chamber with some sort of plumber's brush as a remedy for jamming. I loaded ammo for him using Remington 180 grain round-nose bullets and polished up the brass. He thought they were factory rounds, and used them with complete satisfaction. The problem wasn't the rifle, it was the brass.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

That's like wondering which vacuum sucks better, Hoover or Oreck... laugh

At least the 740/742/7400 et al are easier for the owner to see how to remove the trigger group; two pins and VOILA!.. I could always tell right away when a M100 came in and the owner never figured out how to remove the stock w/o damaging the action.. Geez.. WTH was Winchester thinking?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
If you are using handloads in your autoloading rifle, you should probably use small-base dies to size your brass. Having owned a Remington 742 in 308 and handloaded for several others, I know this to be so. Years ago I loaded for a friend who had a 742, and for his father, who also had a 742. His father wouldn't use handloads as he had a problem with them once. He scrubbed the chamber with some sort of plumber's brush as a remedy for jamming. I loaded ammo for him using Remington 180 grain round-nose bullets and polished up the brass. He thought they were factory rounds, and used them with complete satisfaction. The problem wasn't the rifle, it was the brass.

All I've ever used in the gun is factory ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jerseyboy

All I've ever used in the gun is factory ammo.
Smart man...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

387 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 35 invisible), 1,484 guests, and 1,104 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,211
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.