Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Originally Posted by 79S
270 winchester

This for me, but Tikka hasn't earned its 270 badge. That's reserved for M70's only!!

Yep mine is in a stainless classic, shoots 145 eld-x very well. Pretty much covers all my hunting needs up here in Alaska minus big bears.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
HR IC

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Of the CF rifles that I now have, if you pinned me to one, I would likely choose an early Commercial FN with a trim custom stock. It can be loaded down to about 30-30 ballistics, and with Superformance 180s, you can get really close to 300 H&H power. Factory loads go down to low recoil levels, if you do not wish to hand load.

I also have a matched pair of early 60s Browning Safaris in 243 and 308., built on small ring FN actions. Both accurate and dependable. They would span anything that I have left to do in the lower 48.

I’m not yet ready for one or two, but these options work without any outlay of funds.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Golficeman
After reading all the opinions, I think I'm going to buy two Tikka T3X rifles instead of the Mesa. One in 6.5 Creedmoor and one in 7mm-08. Put the same optics on both and hunt with the one I feel shoots best. I have a 308 in a Tikka T3X already, was going to have it rebored to 358 Win. I Like reading all the opinions, thanks for the feedback.

When you’re ready to reload for the Mighty -08, let me know. I load for 5 Tikkas in 7mm-08, I can help.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All of those rifles sound nice
I’d go 280.
While I love my 270 and 30/06. With the 280, is best of both worlds.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I I didn't already have this in 6.5 creedmoor, this would be my pick for all around rifle:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...raft-18-5-308-w-case-of-hornady-178-eldx

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
So many get hung up on a cal. But that is only a part of it...I have several rifles that that I have to think hard which one I want to take...one in paticular is an old beat up sako L61R in 30-06. I got it in a pawn shop cheap...it had a pad that was rock hard and krumbling...the only pad I had was a really thick one so I installed that one adding about a half inch or so...I couldn't believe the difference in fit and aiming ability...I shoot it really well....another is a custom.husky again in 30-06. It has a barrel mounted sling stud and the balance of the rifle is perfect...it carries well all day...its topped with Lyman 2.5 post...the perfect walking rifle...several others could almost make the grade...88 win and pre 64 70 FW...

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I I didn't already have this in 6.5 creedmoor, this would be my pick for all around rifle:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...raft-18-5-308-w-case-of-hornady-178-eldx

Not my cup of tea,but with the ammo it's a hell of a deal. I'd buy it for my daughter of I wasn't already hunt poor.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
My all around rifle is my GSR, by my difinition anyway. I could get by with it in a lot of different situations. My only complaint is the noise level.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by moosemike

Exactly why I avoid Tikka. I like short action cartridges and I like them in short action rifles.

Good thing you don’t shoot 223’s in short actions.......

Indeed it is!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
To me..... all-around would mean a rifle capable of punching any tag, under any condition, at any sane range, and has to be <8lbs all-up.

The .308 case does not offer enough horsepower to qualify. Yeah.... I know.... but I ain’t towing the dump trailer with an F-150 either.

I’m not gay enough to go .270..... or .270 Beav.... or Roy... etc. Though, they’re an excellent choice for the LGBT crowd.

I’m not old enough to ‘06.... and I see no reason to .300 Mag anything... ever again.

7mm Rem Mag seems just right to me....

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
To me..... all-around would mean a rifle capable of punching any tag, under any condition, at any sane range, and has to be <8lbs all-up.

The .308 case does not offer enough horsepower to qualify. Yeah.... I know.... but I ain’t towing the dump trailer with an F-150 either.

I’m not gay enough to go .270..... or .270 Beav.... or Roy... etc. Though, they’re an excellent choice for the LGBT crowd.

I’m not old enough to ‘06.... and I see no reason to .300 Mag anything... ever again.

7mm Rem Mag seems just right to me....

[Linked Image]

Boom....

(But I still prefer my two-seventhy, sailor)

😜

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The best all around rifle would be my Ruger 77 in 35 Whelen. I hunt with several others, too, but if I could only keep one, the Ruger Whelen would be it.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I thought we were talkin "all around" from Virginia to Florida ? If so, that means deer, maybe black bear and hogs and possibly some predators/varmints, correct ? Anybody who needs a 7 mag., .35 Whelen, .358, or even .30-06 for that needs shooting lessons or game anatomy lessons, one or the other. Not saying they won't work but they sure are more than needed for game of that size.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Were I to want an "all round" rifle I would choose a ZG47 in 30-06 and drop it into a good light synthetic stock.

Something like this...not mine, appropiated picture from UsedGuns ad. HERE

[Linked Image]

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I thought we were talkin "all around" from Virginia to Florida ? If so, that means deer, maybe black bear and hogs and possibly some predators varmints, correct ? Anybody who needs a 7 mag., .35 Whelen, .358, .30-06 or even .308 for that needs shooting lessons or game anatomy lessons, one or the other.

That wouldn’t be “all-around”..... now would it? That would be “The South”. I love when “all-around” means “all-around my narrow hunting conditions”. Nobody needs a big 7 for white tails out of a tree stand, or bears over bait.... but that’s only a small part of “all-around”.... and anyone who thinks that the 7 ain’t effective in those situations, hasn’t hunted much.

If all-around truly means all-around... then sometimes you’re gonna be a little over-gunned, sometimes you may be a bit undergunned. I’d have no issue taking that rifle I pictured above to hunt almost anything, almost anywhere, under almost any conditions, from Alabama to Zimbabwe.... and I’d expect it to hammer anything I pointed it at.... with about 4 or 5 exceptions. Those exceptions are animals who are willing and capable of immediately rearranging my anatomy.

If “all-around” means whitetail and an occasional black bear, at treestand/woods ranges.... then you can pick about any chambering.... and have it “all” covered.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
25-400 yards hey?

Chip shots with one of these things.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I thought we were talkin "all around" from Virginia to Florida ? If so, that means deer, maybe black bear and hogs and possibly some predators varmints, correct ? Anybody who needs a 7 mag., .35 Whelen, .358, .30-06 or even .308 for that needs shooting lessons or game anatomy lessons, one or the other.

That wouldn’t be “all-around”..... now would it? That would be “The South”. I love when “all-around” means “all-around my narrow hunting conditions”. Nobody needs a big 7 for white tails out of a tree stand, or bears over bait.... but that’s only a small part of “all-around”.... and anyone who thinks that the 7 ain’t effective in those situations, hasn’t hunted much.

If all-around truly means all-around... then sometimes you’re gonna be a little over-gunned, sometimes you may be a bit undergunned. I’d have no issue taking that rifle I pictured above to hunt almost anything, almost anywhere, under almost any conditions, from Alabama to Zimbabwe.... and I’d expect it to hammer anything I pointed it at.... with about 4 or 5 exceptions. Those exceptions are animals who are willing and capable of immediately rearranging my anatomy.

If “all-around” means whitetail and an occasional black bear, at treestand/woods ranges.... then you can pick about any chambering.... and have it “all” covered.
The OP said "all around" for hunting from Fl. to VA.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That ain’t all-around.... that’s the point.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
That ain’t all-around.... that’s the point.
The "point" is that there ain't no grizzlies or moose to be hunted between VA and Fl where the OP said he hunts.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Then spin a dead cat in a circle by its tail.... and pick whatever cartridge it knocks off the shelf.... cause it doesn’t matter one iota.

But that ain’t exactly “all-around”....

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 70 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,989
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.