Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This mature doe was shot at a distance of approx 150 yards with my older Savage .308 rifle. One bullet through the chest organs did the job nicely for me. This is my first hunt with Remington's reduced recoil ammo and I'm impressed. Typically, I hunt with my 30-30 carbine but had a hankering to take out my "big rifle" for a hunt.

Sherwood

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Sherwood; 11/23/18. Reason: spelling fixed

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice - I have a buddy who's dad, who's in his mid 70s and has had 2 open hearts, shoots that stuff in his 7mm RM. Honestly I don't know why he doesn't shoot a 243, but it makes him happy to shoot the boomer.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats..... That's the first actual hunting evaluation of that stuff that I've seen.. Although I've seen guys checking zero and/or practicing at the range with it and from what I've seen that ammo also seems to shoot very well in a variety of rifles.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
This ammo features a 125 grain semi-pointed bullet speeding along at about 2,600 fps. 300 Savage figures are very similar. The bullet punched all the way through the animal and left an impressive exit hole. Recoil is very light in my 8.5 lb Savage rifle.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My grandson shot the Remington managed recoil in his Howa 1500 7mm 08 for about 3 years and took a doe every year - one was at 220 yards. As he grew and matured, he moved to the standard ammo with no problem.
He took this10 point buck near Victoria this Monday with Federal 150 grain ammo:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by crshelton; 11/23/18. Reason: pic

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
We have had several kids here kill deer with the Remington 7mm-08 Managed Recoil ammunition. Does exactly what it is advertised to do.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My wife used it in her .270 for her first season and it performed just fine on a 60 yard broadside shot. pass through. Deer ran about 40 yards. Good blood to follow

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've been loading that type of ammo for kids for decades... and people asked me why? they still do...

at the same time, the factories starting coming out with this "managed recoil' stuff, which costs more than most of the other ammo in the same caliber...

I also test each of these bullets before recommending these loads to folks here on the campfire...
which I do for both kids and older folks who've had surgeries or injuries...

only down side to testing those first, before recommending them to others...

definitely don't down load a cartridge and use a new bullet.. and report it on the campfire...

you'll get flamed to hell and back.... and don't answer anyone's questions... because every word
will be used to flame you even more....

but then the hecklers didn't get to see all the PM's received that thanked me on how Managed Recoil loads
you can make yourself, helped their sons, daughters, wives and fathers and grandfathers, still get out and hunt successfully and allowed them to comfortably still shoot their favorite guns...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I loaded my 30-06 and 270 down to 2600 fps and medium weight bullets because at the time 100 yards was farther than I would get a shot. And shooting mild loads was more fun. That and cases lasted longer.

Last edited by rickt300; 11/24/18.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rickt300
I loaded my 30-06 and 270 down to 2600 fps and medium weight bullets because at the time 100 yards was farther than I would get a shot. And shooting mild loads was more fun. That and cases lasted longer.

Shush... Rick...or people on the campfire will call you cheap for making your brass last longer and a wus for not being able to take the full recoil of an 06 or 270....

of course if ranges are short.. I never saw the need for a 500 yd load to take down an elk, when you are hunting a whitetail or blacktail at 50 to 100 yds.. especially animals that are about antelope sized or just a hair bigger....guess I need to take testosterone shots, because evidently I'm not macho enough by campfire standards....

Happy Holidays to you and your family Rick..
cheers and best regards.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My stepson killed three 8pt bucks this week with Remington Managed Recoil Ammo in 30-06. The deer were not very large bodied, around 120 # field dressed, but none went far after the shot. All were behind the shoulder lung shots and the first deer went around 75 yards, the second 15 yards and the third deer drop where it stood.

My grandchildren have killed a half dozen or so with them in 7mm-08 and 308 winchester and had good results with lung shots, with the deer dropping at less than 30 yards.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
One of our game wardens is using a 300 blackout loaded with 110 grain Hornady VMax@ 2200 fps to put down injured/ sick deer. He has not had an exit but all of the deer shot behind the shoulder were DRT. His neocropsies show massive damage to lungs and heart.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Only a sample of one, but shot a 100lb doe at 85 yards, tight behind the near shoulder. Hit the far shoulder and stayed under the hide. Deer spun once and dropped. The bullet was a perfect advertisement for the managed recoil line. Would have liked it to pass through but it did the job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 69 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,538
Posts18,472,802
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.