Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ray,

You don't have to explicitly say you're an expert on magazine publishing, or anything else. It's implicit in your statements, and not just on magazines but any subject.

One of the interesting things about writing for magazines is how many readers aren't really in it for information, much less entertainment. Instead they read magazines so they can argue about what they read. There aren't vast numbers of these, but Handloader usually forwards one every year or two, mostly for amusement purposes. One recent letter was from an older guy indignant about one of my articles because it contradicted some of his long-held beliefs. This isn't unusual: I've sold quite a few articles over the decades due to really investigating and testing long-held handloading beliefs that turned out not to be true. Sometimes they used to be true, at least partially, but aren't anymore, but sometimes they never were true, but simply a guess that "sounded" reasonable, like the widely-held belief that the muzzle fireball often seen from rifles in dim light is caused by still-burning powder.

This guy got angry because his father had told him a particular manual published around 1960 was the final, authoritative source on rifle handloading, and I'd dared to challenge one of the statements in that manual. Some other readers are like that, or even worse, and apparently mostly read magazines to write "gotcha" or whine-letters. I used to waste time arguing with them, but anymore don't bother.

Aside from acting like you know everything about magazine publishing (and then denying you did), you make another common Campfire mistake, assuming your experience universal, as in: "I own a black Labrador retriever, therefore all Labrador retrievers are black." Just because Handloader hasn't run articles on YOUR favorite cartridge in the past few issues doesn't mean they haven't run articles on them in the past, or won't in the future. It also doesn't mean, by a long shot, that all other Handloader subcribers are upset about the lack of articles on those particular cartridges.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that if Handloader did run articles on your favorites, you'd be writing them to argue about the articles, because that's what you like to do on the Campfire. This thread is a good example: It started out about binoculars, but then you jumped in and started whining about handloading articles.

Mule Deer,

As I said before I am not an expert on anything. I am expressing my opinion about gun magazines from a customer’s point of view, while you are responding to my opinions as a psychologist's analysis. See, you are assuming that I am this and that, but those are only your perceptions. My intention have been not to offend anybody, but to express my views relating to what would be nice to see from a gun magazine that is dedicated to reloaders, nothing more. I already mentioned that the last issue of Handloader has a “pet loads” article for the 300+.444 Marlin,” and that is good. I just wish that there would be more recent hand-loading data to come for all cartridges. Did you see me criticizing any other articles?

In relation to gun magazines and print in general, one does not have to be a rocket scientist to understand the reasons, which by the way have been published in recent years. Newspapers and magazines can hardly stay afloat. Just keep in mind that my opinions about this magazine are nothing but wishes expressed from a consumer’s point of view. Other than the NRA issues, Handloader is the only one I still subscribe to because I am interested in reloading data.

Last edited by Ray; 11/24/18.
GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Just learned something about the twilight factor. I think the holding or shakiness is a big factor which is why 7x50s have become the binoculars of choice on ships and submarines. For me the field of view and the possibility of one handed viewing is what makes the lower power binos more useful for me at least in my shaky hands. Interesting the Scottish go the opposite direction with their telescopes used for stalking stags.

The 10x40s many times I could clearly see a buck but when I switched to my scope It let me know it was past legal shooting time. Maybe a good thing I use the middling scopes keeps me legal.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rat Rod Mac
Ok fella's thanks. Also forget to mention I'd like to see them in a roof prism model. Besides the 6x30 Leupolds and 8x Nikons any others stand out? I've got a pair of 8x30's, but there again, they just don't work in the evenings. RRM

Lupold has two around 8 x 42 binoculars (as far as I can tell). One costs over $1,000, and the Pro-Guide model around $600.00. Don't have any experience with these binoculars, however. You may have to settle with a 7x to 8 x 40 or so binocular. Leica has a 7 x 42, but it's expensive. It seems that the 6x binoculars are a thing of the past, and agree with you that these would be just about perfect in the forested areas such as the ones around Plattsburgh, NY, and the other side of the lake.

Last edited by Ray; 11/24/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

One of the interesting things about writing for magazines is how many readers aren't really in it for information, much less entertainment. Instead they read magazines so they can argue about what they read.

Made me laugh, but I'm sure it's true. People are funny critters.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, the primary reason for me to read a magazine for reloading is for the reloading data it contains. Reloading manuals are very good, but as soon as new powders and bullets enter the picture, a lot of the reloading data in these books start getting sort of old. I have a bunch of reloading manuals that I not longer use, because nowadays one can download the data from the bullet maker. What I wish for reloading magazines is for pertinent and new reloading data (new powders and bullets) for all cartridges. New powders and bullets are to the benefit not only to new cartridges of all calibers (small to as large as they go), but to all cartridges. I understand that in order for a magazine to publish such data takes time, but I can wait. Meanwhile I don't see anything wrong for me nor anybody else to wish for such data to be available. The whole thing about personal stuff that goes around in public forums relate to one's perceptions of others.

Last edited by Ray; 11/25/18.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Ray,

Here are quotes from your posts on this thread:

Printing and shipping hunting magazines have gotten too expensive these days. No amount of advertisement on print is going to make a difference. (Later you posted: Did I say anywhere that I was an expert? Of course advertisement is a factor.)

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think I can continue buying Handloader. I will give them the benefit or the doubt through another season, but that is it. (Later you posted: I understand that in order for a magazine to publish such data takes time, but I can wait.)

Apparently you like to argue so much, you do it with yourself.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
MD, some folks would complain if you hung them with a new rope. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Ray Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ray,

Here are quotes from your posts on this thread:

Printing and shipping hunting magazines have gotten too expensive these days. No amount of advertisement on print is going to make a difference. (Later you posted: Did I say anywhere that I was an expert? Of course advertisement is a factor.)

Perhaps I am wrong, but I don't think I can continue buying Handloader. I will give them the benefit or the doubt through another season, but that is it. (Later you posted: I understand that in order for a magazine to publish such data takes time, but I can wait.)

Apparently you like to argue so much, you do it with yourself.

Now that I read it again I realize that the first sentence may have come across the wrong way. What I was trying to say is the " for a business to print and ship a hunting magazine it has gotten too expensive." That is one of numerous other factors-at least according to the business reports about the reasons for the decline of of the print business in general.

As for the second paragraph, that's exactly what I plan to do through another year. For the past two years I received the magazine and hardly found any reloading data that draws my interest. But that is not arguing with you nor anybody else in this forum. I may sometimes, "agree and disagree," but that is no arguing.

I will leave this as my last post on this website, for my intention has never been to argue with anybody, and try as hard as I can, I can't convince you otherwise. If you ever knew me you would realize that what I am telling the truth. Please accept my most sincere apology, and so I offer the same to all member of this forum.

Sincerely,

Ray from Alaska

Last edited by Ray; 11/25/18.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 63 invisible), 2,407 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.