Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
In one of the most provocative and misunderstood studies of the year, scientists in the U.S. and Switzerland have made an astonishing discovery:

All humans alive today are the offspring of a common father and mother – an Adam and Eve – who walked the planet 100,000 to 200,000 years ago, which by evolutionary standards is like yesterday. Moreover, the same is true of nine out of every 10 animal species, meaning that nearly all of Earth’s creatures living today sprang into being recently from some seminal, Big Bang-like event.

Mark Stoeckle at Rockefeller University and David Thaler at the University of Basel reached this striking conclusion after analyzing the DNA “bar codes” of five million animals from 100,000 different species. The bar codes are snippets of DNA that reside outside the nuclei of living cells – so-called mitochondrial DNA, which mothers pass down from generation to generation.

With each reproduction, errors creep into the bar code, as they do when you repeatedly photocopy a document. By measuring the accumulated errors – the blurriness or “diversity” among the bar codes – scientists are able to infer the passage of time.

That’s how Stoeckle and Thaler concluded that ninety percent of all animal species alive today come from parents that all began giving birth at roughly the same time, less than a quarter-million years ago. “This conclusion is very surprising,” Thaler avers, “and I fought against it as hard as I could.”
What caused animal life on Earth to be almost completely renewed such a short time ago? For now, it remains a mystery.

It’s possible something far more powerful than H-bombs decimated life and only a single set of parents for each species survived to live and procreate another day. But the last major extinction event we know about – the one that snuffed out the mighty dinosaurs – happened a full 65 million years ago.
It’s also possible there is something in nature that limits the size of an animal population. Perhaps it’s some built-in evolutionary process that when a population gets too big, it crashes and must restart itself from scratch.

In their report, published in Human Evolution, Stoeckle and Thaler offer other possible explanations, including, Thaler explains, “ice ages and other forms of environmental change, infections, predation, competition from other species and for limited resources, and interactions among these forces.” Whatever the explanation, he adds, the takeaway is this: “all of animal life experiences pulses of growth and stasis or near extinction on similar time scales.”

That is, humans, elephants, birds, you name it – Earth’s creatures tend to stand and fall in unison, like the rising and falling of the tides. And even though we don’t know what Svengali is directing the show, we now have scientific evidence that it wipes the slate clean far more frequently than we ever imagined.

Many religious commentators misunderstand this study to mean that species abruptly came into being only recently. To be clear: according to evolutionary biologists, species developed gradually over many millions of years. Stoeckle and Thaler’s discovery is that something happened roughly 100,000 years ago that created entirely new populations from long-existing species.

That said, Stoeckle and Thaler’s study does line up with the Bible in at least two notable ways. First, it affirms that we and our fellow creatures on Earth arose from a recent and profound creation event, orchestrated by some unknown mechanism. And second, the DNA bar codes reveal that species are quantized. Instead of there being a continuum of animal varieties, as one might expect from millions of years of gradual evolution, creatures fall into very distinct, widely separated populations – what the Bible describes as “kinds,” from the Hebrew word min.

“Darwin struggled to understand the absence of intermediates and his questions remain fruitful [to this day],” says Thaler. What the new study discovered, he explains, is that “If individuals are stars, then species are galaxies. They are compact clusters in the vastness of empty sequence space.”

Above all, Stoeckle and Thaler’s intriguing study serves up hard evidence for the astonishing fragility of life and a humbling lesson for the high-and-mighty among us. It proves we are at the mercy of forces we do not see nor understand; forces that made our existence possible a few hundred thousand years ago and that just as quickly – in the twinkling of an eye – can and will one day take us out.

https://phe.rockefeller.edu/news/wp...ion-PHE-news-release-spring-2018-002.pdf

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/did...ipqDPBzNtwVi-2akKD6qxoJ-Nszd3yfzeaEU2NMM

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Interesting thought, as the fossil records suggest it's happened several times on the planet.

1Minute
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The better question is, did Adam, Eve, the talking snake, and the Garden of Eden ever exist as portrayed in Genesis, or is the story entirely allegory?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I weren't there.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Kind of sounds like reincarnation don't it. wink

MOLON LABE

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by watch4bear
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

Kind of sounds like reincarnation don't it. wink

That verse if from the end of Revelations, it's about the ending, not the beginning.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Scientist's get so butthurt when they can't deny the presence of God. “and I fought against it as hard as I could.”

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
That verse if from the end of Revelations, it's about the ending, not the beginning.

You must be an interpreter grin

MOLON LABE

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
So uh, my great great great grampa wasnt an amoeba? I wzs hoping my great great great grandson would have wingd and xray vision. Crap.

frown

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Looks like someone rained on their parade. Thinking the dinos got their parade rained on as well (Gen.7). laugh

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As much as I would love to see some entertaining and semi intelligent discourse about divine creation vs creation vs evolution vs witchcraft vs Remington auto-bang triggers, this thread will be a chit slinging match within the next page.

Mostly because folks either believe the earth is a few thousand years old, or a few billion years old, and neither can convince each other which is more believable.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So we're all a bunch of inbreds. No wonder people are so fugked up.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
According to generally accepted thought, the age of the Earth is 4.5 billion years. That's a long damn time. Measured history is just a few million if you go back to the age of the dinosaurs. That's a grain of sand on the beach compared to 4.5 billion years.

Who's to say that a dozen or so advanced civilizations didn't spring up and disappear over the course of 4.5 billion years?

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Every one of us on this board will know the truth - some day.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bristoe
According to generally accepted thought, the age of the Earth is 4.5 billion years. That's a long damn time. Measured history is just a few million if you go back to the age of the dinosaurs. That's a grain of sand on the beach compared to 4.5 billion years.

Who's to say that a dozen or so advanced civilizations didn't spring up and disappear over the course of 4.5 billion years?

Man made global warming caused the destruction of those advanced civilizations....at least that’s what the core samples show.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
They don't call it global warming anymore. Calling it climate change covers those times when it is colder, wetter, drier, etc.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I don't think Charlton Heston would argue against such possibility.

who knows how many re-sets/ re-starts have come from the primordial slime state, after all the dominoes were knocked down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGodDOLvBxw

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Fox news write up is a mischaracterisation. There is nothing that indicates a sensational cataclysmic event in that paper.

The scientists actual interpretation of why the species all seem so young, which Fox didn't include in their article:

"The simplest interpretation is that life is always evolving," said Stoeckle.

"It is more likely that—at all times in evolution—the animals alive at that point arose relatively recently."

In this view, a species only lasts a certain amount of time before it either evolves into something new or goes extinct.

Life changes faster than we thought. Evolution is nimble, in life and death.

(Also, the whole human race did not arise from two people a 100,000 years ago. That is simply as far back as they can trace a common ancestor to all us. Obviously there were people before them, and others with them - we are just not directly related to those people. There will mathematically always be a pair at some point. It's a sleight of hand to present those people as a genetic "Adam and Eve". What is interesting is how recent that point is. The simple explanation is that the human population in prehistory was very small for a very long time.)

"A person that carries a cat home by the tail will receive information that will always be useful to him." Mark Twain
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by bludog
Every one of us on this board will know the truth - some day.

I totally Agree!!!!!

1st John 4:7-8
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Excellent article.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,338 guests, and 1,457 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.