Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Kansan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Anyone running McMillan stocks on their pre 64 model 70s? Would love to see some pics as I need a stock for an upcoming build and need ideas.

Thanks,

Kansan

Last edited by Kansan; 11/25/18.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
375 H&H in pre 64 montecarlo patern. Swirly is oldstyle coyote bomber:
[Linked Image]

The same stock on a 30-06 fwt:
[Linked Image]

Hunters compact. 270 fwt:
[Linked Image]

A buddies rifle(308 fwt) that I glass bed into a hunters compact swirly:
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Kansan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Awesome. Thanks for the pics.....

Kansan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
No problem, I had more, but lost them in photobucket. What kind of build do you have planned? If you don't mind sharing... I know beretzs has a few pre 64 model 70 rifles that have some nice mcmillan stocks. The echols legend come to mind, but I don't have any of those. They look great though.. Hopefully he will see this thread and post some pics for you.. I also have a light 338wm in a Brown PoundR stock that is one of my favorites. But since you asked for pics of Micky stocks, I didn't post a pic of that one.. Good luck with your build, it's always nice to see a pre 64 build..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Kansan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
So the build I have in mind is on my 1951 30-06 with the corroded barrel. I'm thinking a 280 AI stainless along the lines of the High Country Rifle on pre64win.com. Not sure what stocks they are using, though but it is exactly what I'm (well, my smith is) looking to build.

Kansan

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Kansan
So the build I have in mind is on my 1951 30-06 with the corroded barrel. I'm thinking a 280 AI stainless along the lines of the High Country Rifle on pre64win.com. Not sure what stocks they are using, though but it is exactly what I'm (well, my smith is) looking to build.

Kansan

I looked on his site and am going to assume you are talking about the Sako hunter mcmillan stock. whitebird has one, maybe he can post a picture of his.. That stock seems to be very popular because of its high cheek piece. Im not a fan, but that's not saying its not a good stock. Otherwise it wouldn't be so popular.

BSA MAGA
Kansan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This is what I'm looking at on the pre64win website...

https://pre64win.com/collections/the-custom-shop/products/the-pre64win-com-mountain-rifle

Kansan

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Have you tried talking to Justin directly? He visits this place from time to time as well. By the way, that does not look like a Mcmillan stock. In the description, it says "Lightweight composite stock". You have a model 70 extreme weather, that stock looks awfully familiar, like a B&C medalist on the EW. Doesn't it? Could also be a bansner, it looks similar. You can order a Bansner stock from LAW and have it in about 5 weeks. If it were me, I'd go bansner over a B&C. But prefer my Brown PoundR over both by a long shot..

BSA MAGA
Kansan Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the reply, bsa....

Yes, it does look quite like the win EW stock. I may call Justin to see what he uses. The Bansner does look good, though.

Thanks,

Kansan

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hi guys!

Things always get a bit crazy for us from late summer through Christmas, so stuff like this tends to slip past me! Maybe in January I will have more time to cruise the forums! crazy

Right now the stock going onto the High Country Rifle is a tailored McMillan Hunter’s Edge stock. It’s a bit different than what you can purchase directly from McMillan. Brown Precision makes a similar lightweight carbon fiber stock, but lead times were very long the last time I checked.

Regarding the EW stocks - I am actually building a post 64 custom using the EW stock right now and am generally very impressed with the stock. They are not a good fit for pre-64 action (the tang inletting is hard to remedy), but if you’re building on a post 64 action, the EW stock will be hard to beat for the price. You can see it here: Extreme Weather Custom. The basic shape is similar to the McMillan Hunter’s Edge and to some of Brown’s stocks, but the EW construction is very different and the EW also has a cheek comb.

Hope this helps!

Justin

Last edited by pre64win; 11/26/18. Reason: Added info
IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don't need one of Justin's rifles. I don't need one of Justin's rifles. I don't need one of Justin's rifles. I don't need one of Justin's rifles.

But if I did, can one order a custom LOP? wink

Last edited by nyrifleman; 11/26/18.

“Factio democratica delenda est"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

104 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,507 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.