Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
OldNo7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Life's Too Short To Hunt with an Ugly Gun...

Well, it seems that "no deer" was tagged by me during the late November rifle deer season, as I passed on a fat doe I jumped and put the scope on -- but I held off on taking the shot, as I really want a buck...

But if you're gonna have an empty tag, at least you can hunt with a pretty gun -- and it's a Savage 99 at that!

[Linked Image]

That's my Savage 99A in .250-3000 that I had refinished and then had professionally checkered earlier this year, after finding out that it was so "slickery" (slick and slippery) last fall when I had to put ugly rubber patches on it (short term) just to get a good grip. (Those worked well, as I tagged a big doe last fall.) Last year I had a larger Leupold 2-7X scope on it, but this year I've downsized to a Leupold VX3 1.5-5X; it's got plenty of power for the woods I'm hunting and the smaller size and weight look and feel so much better on the gun.

Oh well, we still have 2 weeks of blackpowder hunting here in Maine and the Solunar Tables look great for the last 2 days (the end of next week), so I'll get back out there yet again.

As you can see, there's at least a 6 pt and 8 pt around my stand -- if they didn't get shot yet, that is.......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

( The Primos Proof Gen 2 game camera takes awesome photos -- without recording hundreds of "wind shots" like my old Moultrie one did... )

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A big thumbs up to you!!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the checkering.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Take heart. All is not lost. My 99A in 300, my favorite deer rifle out of many to choose from, took a fat five point this afternoon here in PA. Don't know what it is, but I can just plain shoot that little rifle and I mean shoot it well.

Last edited by dallased; 11/27/18.

Home for wayward neglected 99's.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good choice on putting some checkering on the 99-A it really does improve the handling of the rifle.

I purchased my 99-A 250 Savage several years ago from the widow of the man who had it checkered.

[Linked Image]

It has accounted for several deer. This is the latest one taken the 18th of this month.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That's a beast. Congrats.

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I agree with the title. This was my first year hunting with my 99F and the hours in the stand were a little easier with such fine workmanship to admire. That and it’s 60 year history to contemplate.
It must have taken more deer then I because it shouldered so easily and took an 8 pointer.
Those 99-A’s look like I’m going to have contemplate one of my own at some point.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
308Ti 257 Roberts 308Win [Linked Image]

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Roundoak,

That is a pig of a deer. What was the weight? My friend busted an 8 point recently that weighed 184lbs, dressed.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RAS,

I did not get the deer weighed, rather used the Pennsylvania Game Commission deer weight tape. The buck's girth was 44" that equals 212# estimated dressed weight.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Good choice on putting some checkering on the 99-A it really does improve the handling of the rifle.

I purchased my 99-A 250 Savage several years ago from the widow of the man who had it checkered.

[Linked Image]

It has accounted for several deer. This is the latest one taken the 18th of this month.

[Linked Image]

I love the checkering on that gun...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I admire that checkering too.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by 99guy
Originally Posted by roundoak

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I love the checkering on that gun...

I love that rifle.....period. Enjoy gazing at it every time Roundoak post it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You fellas could own one, there's several for sale right now, and checkering costs about $175. I love that rifle too!

LOL
OldNo7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yes, very nice checkering on that one.

Not only did mine "need" checkering -- as it was so slick and slippery -- it was awful orange colored "before" too...

Here's a before and after image of mine...

[Linked Image]

I had my guy add the checkering closer to the front of the receiver, per a pattern I drew up, as that's where my left hand holds it. Nope, it's not a "vintage Savage checkering pattern", as I had reviewed many of those online, but it works best for me and provides a secure grip.

I love the .250 Savage -- I just wish my late father was here to hear that I was hunting with one... He would have loved this gun.

Old No7

Last edited by OldNo7; 11/27/18.

"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Much improved #7

What else you got we can look at? grin

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
OldNo7 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 99guy
Much improved #7

What else you got we can look at? grin

Gee, that's my only 99...

But how do you like this as an alternative to checkering???

I did this years ago to my T/C Omega deer rifle (inline BP).

Old No7

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cool camel toes. That works and looks good!

LOL
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Nice 99As gentlemen!

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Cool camel toes. That works and looks good!

Some people see hoof prints and others see.... For me, I'm afraid that image of a hoof print has now been scared for life.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

308 members (1minute, 16gage, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 12savage, 42 invisible), 2,017 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,162
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.