Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Now I don't live in a really cold climate area, but there are days, such as today, where it gets chilly. Sitting on the deer stand this morning at freezing, and my dang hands were cold. The gloves I have just don't cut it. Out in Wyoming last fall, I really suffered.
What would y'all recommend? Brand? Type? Waterproof would be a plus.

Sam......

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sam: The problem I've experienced with gloves is they "isolate" each finger from each other and unless you get a real bulky glove (useless for hunting), your fingers get cold. i use some thing, lightly insulated gloves that work ok in mild weather, but for stand sitting, I either use good heavy waterproof mittens (with a slit on the bottom so I can use my fingers) over my gloves or just go bare handed under the mittens.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I just bought a pair of deerskin gloves insulated with Thinsulate. They were the best compromise I could find between keeping my hands warm and still being able to use my fingers for intricate tasks.

You might have to cut the trigger finger off if you're going to use them for hunting, however. They're still a bit too bulky for getting a good feel on a trigger.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get a belted handwarmer bag and throw some of those chemical warmers in there.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If you're stand sitting, those hand mufflers that go like a belt around your waist are the best. If its dry and not too windy I use surplus wool inserts. I layer them under whatever conditions call for.
Make sure your hands have room to breathe. Sweaty hands are always cold.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another vote for the hand muff. I wear a pair of liner gloves inside them so that I can quickly slide my hands out and get into action. For feet, years ago my mom made me a bag out of quilted camo material. When on sitting on stand, it reaches to my waist. I just step into it and pull it up. Coming and going, I fold it over and use the belt from the muff to carry it - out of the way and handy.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mechanix.

Sweat is a big problem for people that believe it is cold.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am with slummlord - belted hand muff is my savior. I only wear thin jersey gloves so I can feel my gun, etc.and put them in the muff for warmth

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chilly Grips.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Had a pair of insulated winter work gloves by Jamestown I believe. They fit like mechanic gloves. They were the best but can't find em now. Out of business maybe? Lasted a long time and super warm and not bulky at all. I recommend what ever gloves you get to try a size down from your regular size.. better fit for me anyway.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Sam: The problem I've experienced with gloves is they "isolate" each finger from each other and unless you get a real bulky glove (useless for hunting), your fingers get cold. i use some thing, lightly insulated gloves that work ok in mild weather, but for stand sitting, I either use good heavy waterproof mittens (with a slit on the bottom so I can use my fingers) over my gloves or just go bare handed under the mittens.

The best thing you can do is keep your hands together in something warm...bag, hoodie-type pocket, hat, whatever. IMO the best article of clothing ever made for sitting is a wool poncho.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mannlicher: I Hunt and ice fish when and where it gets REALLY cold!
In my Hunting daypack I always have a humble pair of furred back, leather palmed, mid-forearm lengthed, Army surplus mitten/gloves. When it gets really cold or I will be sitting on stand for a while I simply swap out my lighter weight walking gloves for these.
I wear a set of Army surplus individual fingered mitten liners inside (they are made for this application) and if game (or fish!) appears I simply slip off the mitts (this takes one or two seconds!) and do my business with warm hands.
And I mean WARM hands.
My hands have NEVER gotten cold when I have been wearing these wonderful (and CHEAP!) Army surplus items.
Over the years I have picked up probably 20 sets of these wonderful, useful windproof and amazingly warm mitts and liners.
Over the years I have loaned out these mitten/gloves to Hunting mates, fishing mates and snowboarding/skiing/sledding/snowmobiling children and grandchildren and without exception they always want to purchase a set for themselves!
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose! But for less than $20.00 (often WAY less!) you can permanently solve any "cold hand" situation with Army surplus leather, fur and canvas, windproof mitts and a pair of liners.
Trust me on this I been to Wyoming in the bitter wind a time or twenty!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
Mechanix.
Sweat is a big problem for people that believe it is cold.

This in milder climates.

Thats what I use here in Kommiefornia except when hunting the High Sierra, Co, Wyo in the cold. For that I have liners and insulated gortex gloves.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally have the best luck with wool gloves. They are pretty warm, but they breath so my hands don't get sweaty. If they do get wet from snow, they are still pretty warm. I try to get the ones that have rubber nubs on the palm for grip. If it is not so cold, I use USGI wool glove liners, they are pretty light and breath.
If I am standing, I slip a hand warmer in my pockets. I also keep a hand warmer on the back of my neck so the blood does not get cut off to the hands/feet.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When it's going to be cold I wear a pair of these liners under fleece mitts that have the slitted palm.....when it's not going to be very cool I just wear the liners:

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-nwt-merino-190-liner-glove

The light merino liners work well for me for shooting and handling things. If it's going to be 20's/teens I'll slip a hand-warmer into the top of the mitten.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got a $50.00 Cabela's gift card and applied it to a pair of Cabela's Extreme II Gore-Tex shooting gloves. You can Google them, but they have 80 grams of Thinsulate in the palms and 160 grams over the back with leather fronts and camo polyester backs over Gore-Tex and insulation, so what's not to like? Okay, maybe the $59.99 price, but you get what you pay for. I also use one of those camo muffs with a chemical hand warmer and not much more than a thin liner or a jersey garden glove on my right shooting hand. My left hand holds my rifle and it can have a much heavier glove or even a sheep skin elk hide mitten. I wore leather gloves riding my atv back to camp and honestly I don't know how leather keeps a cow warm. I split the skin on my index finger when my hands got real cold and did the jump around thing back at camp when they got some feeling back into them. I wasn't home long before I ordered those new gloves. !-800-237-4444.

One more thing. Get them big enough! The local Cabela's store didn't have the gloves that I wanted, but I did try on what they did have and went from an XL to a 2XL that will have good air space and room enough to put a liner should the need arise. These aren't intended to be skin tight driving gloves and you won't be styling out there in the woods with them, but get them big enough so you can pull them on with your teeth because it might be all you have when cold hands don't work.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
As others have said a mitten is warmer than a glove. Leather with 150 grams of thinsulate insulation is what I've found to be best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For mild temps & moving around / still hunting, even when it's cold, I use a pair of Bob Allen leather shooting gloves.............they are sensitive enough to easily use to shoot with them on.

If it's really cold & stand hunting, then mittens with a palm opening with the shooting gloves on inside or just liners, depending on your preference, & if there for a long period, then handwarmers added as well.

Here's the Bob Allen gloves..........you can get them insulated or not, I usually use the insulated & they are plenty sensitive to shoot with.

As for the mittens, mine are Sleeping Indian Design, but since they have been reincarnated, they don't make them anymore so I don't know who makes something comparable, maybe King of the Mountain or Filson.

Bob Allen shooting Gloves

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use a hand warming muff that has a strap to hold it on me and put hot hands bags in it. With thin gloves for me it's as good as it gets.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Simms Guide Windbloc Foldover Mitt:

Cold Weather Gloves

Not "Waterproof" but will bead up a light drizzle off the top-side.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.