-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sam, the wool liners and muff with Hot Hands has worked great here in Mississippi. Use them when chasing ducks or deer in the delta..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
+1 for the hand muff. I also have a Sitka jacket that has hand muff built in that works like a charm.

Still trying to be the Man my dogs think I am
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a glove mitt
https://www.foxsox.com/products/four-layer-1?variant=21285785153
Very warm all on its own. It is nice because I can have most of my hand covered but still have my fingertips exposed.
If it is cold enough I don't want my finger tips exposed but I don't want to cover them with the mitten part, I put on some polypro glove liners. Thin enough I can still use my fingertips pretty well.
When I was hunting on opening day it was -3 so i went polypro glove liner, surplus wool glove liner, then the glove mitt and my hands were very warm.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Now I don't live in a really cold climate area, but there are days, such as today, where it gets chilly. Sitting on the deer stand this morning at freezing, and my dang hands were cold. The gloves I have just don't cut it. Out in Wyoming last fall, I really suffered.
What would y'all recommend? Brand? Type? Waterproof would be a plus.

I use those "Hot Hands" type hand warmers in each coat pocket. I also have some gloves that look like mittens, but have half finger gloves underneath. When you need your fingers, you just flip the mitten part back and it stays put with a magnet. Combined with the warmers, it works pretty well. I usually don't hunt in temperatures lower than 15 degrees F, so in lower temps you may need something different.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Elk skin gloves

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The problem I keep running into is size. XL is barely large enough. I like the layering idea, but will need 2X size for that to work.

Sam......

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mutant Mitts made for the military by Outdoor Research. Available at many on line mil surp stores.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Manzella makes a good hunting mitten where the part that covers your fingers will peel back when you need to take a shot.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Manzella has a good selection of sizes. They fit me best, but I don't have monster hands

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just returned from the worstest, coldest, wetest deer camp I've experienced in years.

Two things stood out:

1) Belgian shooter's mittens from Sportmen's Guide-- about $18. They're not all that great for shooting, but sitting in blind or stand, they're wonderful.
2) Rechargeable electric handwarmers. I've been able to find them for $8 on Amazon. They normally go for $20-30. They're USB chargeable and have the added benefit of allowing you to pull a charge off of them for your cellphone.

I take one of the USB handwarmers and put it in the center breast pocket of my bibs and then layer over that. The handwarmer warms my cheast (hear/lungs) and then the blood gets pumped out to the extremities. I turned my son's pipe band members onto this a while back and they said it works wonders on playing on cold days.

When it gets really bad, I put a USB handwarmer in one of the mitts to warm up a hand and then rotate as needed.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
WOOL with a wind proof liners or cover.

If you hunt with your kids. You should not have to hunt for your kids.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shaman
I just returned from the worstest, coldest, wetest deer camp I've experienced in years.

Two things stood out:

1) Belgian shooter's mittens from Sportmen's Guide-- about $18. They're not all that great for shooting, but sitting in blind or stand, they're wonderful.
2) Rechargeable electric handwarmers. I've been able to find them for $8 on Amazon. They normally go for $20-30. They're USB chargeable and have the added benefit of allowing you to pull a charge off of them for your cellphone.

I take one of the USB handwarmers and put it in the center breast pocket of my bibs and then layer over that. The handwarmer warms my cheast (hear/lungs) and then the blood gets pumped out to the extremities. I turned my son's pipe band members onto this a while back and they said it works wonders on playing on cold days.

When it gets really bad, I put a USB handwarmer in one of the mitts to warm up a hand and then rotate as needed.

You know it’s bad when you have to break out the USB hand warmers.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bunch of pussies. I hunt in Minnesota and rarel go beyond wearing jersy gloves with a little hand warmer in my slash pockets.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Shaman, I wound up ordering a pair of those Belgium mittens, and a pair of mid weight gloves from Kuiu. I should be covered, and thanks guys for the help.

Sam......

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MILES58
Bunch of pussies. I hunt in Minnesota and rarel go beyond wearing jersy gloves with a little hand warmer in my slash pockets.

laughing. GFY Miles. smile

Sam......

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Wool if it’s cool

Wool or thinsulate lined leather if it’s cold

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

What does some beta male living in south beach know about cold weather hunting gear?

Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by shaman

Two things stood out:

You know it’s bad when you have to break out the USB hand warmers.

T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
As has been mentioned in a few aboveposts a well insulated mitten is far superior to any glove. When I lived in northern Wisconsin I used what are advertised as glo=mitts, which were well insulated mittens with a slit just above the palm that allowed you to slip a warm finger onto your trigger and squeeze it. Took me a few years to believe the advertising hype, but once I tried them I became a believer.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by slumlord
Get a belted handwarmer bag and throw some of those chemical warmers in there.

Yep! Hand muff and warmers with light gloves is the best way I have seen to stay warm.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good pair of glommits with the magnet retainers and a couple of hot hand packs.
Bout 15- 30 bucks.

Last edited by renegade50; 11/28/18.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

682 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 75 invisible), 3,073 guests, and 1,349 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,226
Posts18,485,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.