Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

I have been saving up for a 6.5 Creedmore hunting rifle and after this year's hunting season was over I pulled the trigger on a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle. Friday I went to the local dealer after their call that the rifle had arrived. When they took it out of the box I was surprised to see that the barrel was threaded, something I did not think I was getting (I wanted their 22" slick barrel). The rifle is now in the dealer lock-up ticking off the rest of the California 10-day wait.

I don't have any use for a threaded barrel, I don't do "cans" or whatever. What do you see as the positives and negatives? I am thinking if it is an 18" barrel I will refuse it, and if it is 21" or longer Maybe I take it?

Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday and thanks for your help...jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why not just keep the threads covered and forget that they are there? What did you order? Receipt? Invoice? Throw a dart?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If it's threaded, the barrel is 18" long. The unthreaded version has a 21" barrel, not 22".

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
John,

Thanks for the reply. My favorite shorter barrel length is 21.75" (after the Warehouse benchrest rifle tests), so 21" works for my hunting purposes. wink (My paperwork on the order shows 22" from the shop.)

I will say that the build quality is really outstanding, and the physical appearance of the rifle shows its Forbes/ULA parentage...

jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is the rifle metalwork coated black? They are currently making a 22" version with a heavier threaded barrel, but the rifle has black cerakote. I have one and it has been stellar so far. They could be selling the same rifle without the coating, but I am not aware of it.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HunterJim
John,

I have been saving up for a 6.5 Creedmore hunting rifle and after this year's hunting season was over I pulled the trigger on a Barrett Fieldcraft rifle. Friday I went to the local dealer after their call that the rifle had arrived. When they took it out of the box I was surprised to see that the barrel was threaded, something I did not think I was getting (I wanted their 22" slick barrel). The rifle is now in the dealer lock-up ticking off the rest of the California 10-day wait.

I don't have any use for a threaded barrel, I don't do "cans" or whatever. What do you see as the positives and negatives? I am thinking if it is an 18" barrel I will refuse it, and if it is 21" or longer Maybe I take it?

Merry Christmas, Happy Birthday and thanks for your help...jim

Most loads lose only 80fps in 18 inches as compared to 22 inches with the 6.5mm CM.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you want to use it suppressed (is that even legal in CA?) you're okay. If you can't or don't want to use a suppressor, it needs to go back, not because of velocity loss, but because it's going to be pretty dang loud, and possibly not balance well to boot. Once you take possession, it becomes a used gun and you'll take a bath getting rid of it. Can't believe your dealer let this get this far, assuming you ordered it through him instead of just having him receive it from someone else. You should get what you paid for in either case.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If you want to use it suppressed (is that even legal in CA?) you're okay. If you can't or don't want to use a suppressor, it needs to go back, not because of velocity loss, but because it's going to be pretty dang loud, and possibly not balance well to boot. Once you take possession, it becomes a used gun and you'll take a bath getting rid of it. Can't believe your dealer let this get this far, assuming you ordered it through him instead of just having him receive it from someone else. You should get what you paid for in either case.

Not legal there.....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it even legal to own a rifle with a threaded barrel?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Is it even legal to own a rifle with a threaded barrel?

Yes.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
You can use a thread adapter to screw an oil can on it to catch your gun cleaning solvents?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
thread protector or muzzle break.

Last edited by magnum44270; 12/03/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by hanco
You can use a thread adapter to screw an oil can on it to catch your gun cleaning solvents?

Does that actually work? And does a whole need to be punched in the end to drain the solvent or will it punch its own hole

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Kellywk
Originally Posted by hanco

Does that actually work? And does a whole need to be punched in the end to drain the solvent or will it punch its own hole

It'll probably work great for a free ticket to club fed if you're not careful. That fire is not worth playing with, do the proper paperwork if you want to try it.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
If it's threaded, the barrel is 18" long. The unthreaded version has a 21" barrel, not 22".

This is 100 percent correct, HOWEVER there is a RSR exclusive model with a 22" threaded barrel and black cerakote on the metal. Stock in green or black...

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Tennessee; 12/03/18.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I can't imagine the attraction to a rifle thats not threaded, even with no plans to use them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can't, and that's fine for you, but the OP can't use a suppressor and wanted a longer barrel. Again, lots of folks might even prefer an 18" barrel, but just as many don't like them because of the noise. It's a completely valid personal preference, and he should get what he ordered and paid for.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
H
I gave the serial number to the Barrett folks and their reply was it was part of the RSR special order (22" threaded barrel). I spoke with the local dealer this morning and they are working on bringing another rifle in to make me happy. Their rep is also going to email copies of their orders to me...

jim

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would highly recommend keeping the current rifle, and having the threads cut off and barrel recrowned. You'll gain some weight out front with the heavier barrel contour they put on the RSR rifles over the stock 21" barrel, which will help with balance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In that case I'd not fret, unless you expect the state to make threads alone illegal. Free Cerakote!

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 673, 79S, 23 invisible), 957 guests, and 993 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,250
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.