-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
It’s not hard to miss at 250. The feeder is 225,there is a dead pig standing under it. The pic isn’t too clear. The second pic is better. Those pigs are at 250 yards. I’m sighted in 2” high and it’s downhill. I hold 2” above the center of the animal. I hit right at center. Third pic is looking up towards stand.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by hanco; 12/21/18.
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Doesn't matter if the group at 100 was 3-shot or 5-shot. The low shots were still going to be dead-on at 100, which means considerably low at 250.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
JB, Not sure what you mean by the "low" shot. The lowest of the five shot group? Scope picture was a "high" shoulder shot when I pulled the trigger. Normally I go dead center just behind the shoulder. I will admit I do not normally shoot at 250 yards.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While the question of the rifle's accuracy would be one to ponder. If I missed a shot like this, the first questions would be, where were the sights aligned when the trigger broke, did the rifle recoil clean (track as it should) etc.. In other words what did I do??

Last edited by 65X54; 12/21/18.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
smithrjd,

Since the group spanned 2" at 100 yards and was centered 1" high, then obviously the highest shot was around 2" above point of aim, and the lowest shot close to dead-on.

A little work with a ballistic program shows that a 7mm 150 Partition, started at 2900 fps (which is probably very close), with a scope 1.5: above the bore, would result in at least 7" of drop at 250 when sighted-in dead-on at 100. Which is exactly where the "low" shots in your group would be landing. Add a little aiming wobble, and it would be easy to miss low.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
The feeder is 225,there is a dead pig standing under it.

Neat trick.... How'd you get him to stand up, while dead?

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Ouch, did not think the drop would be that much. Obvisoly I need some load development. Again, the nut behind the trigger. Trigger broke clean, scope was where I thought it should be a bit high at the shoulder, recoil was what I would call normal.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL, huntsman22, I was wondering how the pig was standing also.. smile

smithrjd, you were getting into the yardage that the bullet drop starts adding up pretty fast. Sounds like you had a good handle on the rifle.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant

Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by hanco
The feeder is 225,there is a dead pig standing under it.

Neat trick.... How'd you get him to stand up, while dead?

He didn’t know he was dead yet

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by smithrjd
...... It was hurried however. Was not ready when the doe appeared. ....

DING DING DING. Between this and not practicing at that range .... Makes it very easy to miss.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Smith,
if your going to shoot game at 250 yards you need to do some work and find a range that you can put your rifle on paper or steel for that distance.
Math is not going to make up for your lack of practice at a given range.
My good friend always recommends that a hunter place his target at the distance he wants to test for his hunt, then run back to the rifle and take a field position shot. Its always enlightening what you see as the distance stretches out and your shooting is being tested.
Most times its not the gun or bullet minutia thats the limiting factor.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
smith,I have found that using a scope with the holdpoints for various yardages in the reticle has helped me considerably with shots in the 150yd and higher distances. It is somewhat involved but after you get dialed in, it gives you the confidence and ability to make longer shots. You may already have scopes like this though, but just a suggestion

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Is there some reason you use the word vice when you obviously mean versus?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is one reason I sight in all of my big game rifles at 200 yards. Little tiny groups at 100 yards don't mean much. Find a place where you can stretch things out and you will be amazed that 1 MOA at 200 yards or farther is way different that 1 MOA at 100. As stated above, lots of factors become more important at distance. Ask the guys on the long range forum.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Is there some reason you use the word vice when you obviously mean versus?

It depends on the "(insert noun here) of interest".

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
Smith,
if your going to shoot game at 250 yards you need to do some work and find a range that you can put your rifle on paper or steel for that distance.
Math is not going to make up for your lack of practice at a given range.
My good friend always recommends that a hunter place his target at the distance he wants to test for his hunt, then run back to the rifle and take a field position shot. Its always enlightening what you see as the distance stretches out and your shooting is being tested.
Most times its not the gun or bullet minutia thats the limiting factor.

I have found that a rest at the range is always a much better rest than I can get shooting off the ledge of a shooting house window. I won't speak for anyone else, but shooting off that shooting house ledge, the branch of a tree or over a backpack at 250 isn't a chip shot for me.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Well, an uninformed question perhaps. I only have access to a 100 yard range. Do things change when shots are at 250 yards vice 100? Perhaps no sense to others, a question for myself.

Yes they change, and sometimes in ways you don't expect.

If you are going to shoot longer ranges, I suggest finding a longer range and practicing. It can be pretty eye opening the first few times.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In order for me to shoot at that distance and beyond, I need several things prior to the shot:

1) Range time with the load I'm hunting with
2) Rangefinder
3) Known ballistics information that's been verified

If I don't have any of those items, the shot will be a swag. Buck fever is already counting against you. Stacks the odds more in your favor.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
The OP keeps saying he needs more load development. I think he really needs to spend about 20 minutes with a ballistic calculator (free on the internet) and then (as others have said), verify that on ranges out to, say., 300 yards. Or at least 200 yards.

I suspect that with his rifle and bullets, a more proper zero would be about 3" high at 100 yards. That should (I'm guesstimating) put it about 3" high at 200 as well and just a few inches low at 300.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Indeed, more load development and time at the range at distance. It was a quick opportunity, do you want to hunt while your here? A new rifle as well about the perfect storm for a miss.. Will not happen next year. I did get a buck, but that one showed up at about 75 yards. Bang flop lungs and the top of the heart out through the spine.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (16penny, 280shooter, 29aholic, 204guy, 2ndwind, 30Gibbs, 34 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,235
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.