Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Anybody done this lately? That is, used an ice chest full of wrapped and frozen meat as checked baggage on a domestic flight. Son flew home from Lake Tahoe, CA for Christmas and had a little time to hunt. I'm still recovering from colon cancer surgery (partial colectomy) and a couple of unexpected complications and chose to stay home. So he headed up to the Blue Ridge Mountains for a couple of days to himself on some land we just leased this year. Rules of engagement were brown is down, given time restraints. So day 1 and first day it's been hunted in 3 years he had a couple of racked bucks streak by the pop-up for some unknown reason followed by a spike that didn't run quite fast enough. A few hours later a pretty decent 8 pt, from what he said, showed up in range. Red Pad 7x57 strikes again. Now he'll be headed home in the morning and bringing work with him. When the butchering is done and the meat wrapped the plan is to send as much as possible home with him later in the week in a basic size ice chest duct taped shut.

Any experiences and/or advice on this done is appreciated. I know it can be done just never done it. Thanks guys.
MC

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i've brought frozen fish and live lobsters back from Massachusetts just hope you have no long delays. the lobsters i brought back in carry on.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Shootem,

Not in a cooler, but I brought home several boxes of elk meat in insulated boxes with dry ice a while back.

Worked great, although the airline charged $50 a box.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve brought elk meat home like that only thing I did different is put the meat in a bag and seal it before going in the cooler most airlines want it in a leakproof bag or container.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've done it a couple of times, you'll probably have to pay an overweight bag fee, check with the airline.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just flew to Philadelphia with two large insulated boxes (49 pounds each) of frozen moose meat. Sarah, who had stayed with us while she finished college, drew a cow tag and filled it before moving back to PA to be near family. I had to be back there to help with my Dad last month so I took the two boxes for her. They made it just fine from Alaska to Pennsylvania. My wife and I were allowed two bags each without charge so we each took one box as checked baggage.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
48 quart cooler will fit 50lbs of meat. If you go over by one ounce, take it up to a 72 quart and make it worth the excess bagage.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes I’ve done it a lot with fish and deer.

Don’t use ice, freeze the meat solid and pack tightly in the cooler. Have it labeled per airline rules and any tags or licenses that might apply. Checked bags are usually subject to weight limits so check on that also. I’ve used Alaska Airlines exclusively and they have a walk in freezer in Seattle which made it easy when I got delayed by several flights headed back to Seattle (not the airlines fault). The best advice is to look online for airline specific rules and follow them, also print out copies relevant to your situation just in case you get an idiot at the counter. Some airlines do this regularly (Alaska Air) and are pros at making it simple and easy but I know that not all airlines are created equal so best to be prepared.

Congratulations to you and your son and I wish you a full and speedy recovery so that you’ll get to accompany him afield next time. 👍

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks yall. Sounds very doable. Even paying extra weight is still cheaper and safer than trying to ship UPS or USPS. A little delay and you can have some very expensive rot. BTDT. And a 48 qt duct taped with the handles reinforced should be semi-gorilla proof. Merry Christmas all.

"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do it every year. I fly back 2 boxes of frozen salmon from AK. Fred Meyer, Walmart, Sportsman Warehouse have the boxes for sale there. They have about 2" of styrofoam insulation inside a cardboard box. We freeze the salmon rock hard. Pack the salmon into the box & weigh it. I stop @ 48lbs. It flys as luggage for $25. You should see the Kenai airport in July----lots of salmon & halibut boxes.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just FYI; check with the airlines before using dry ice. If it is allowed, it is limited to quantity used, and must be declared and labeled.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Probly won't worry with ice of any sort if we get the meat frozen and that should happen. Planning to cut and wrap 12/24 and he's flying out 12/27 at 7PM. It's about a 6 hour flight IIRC and there's a freezer waiting for it there. Double garbage bagged and inside a cooler should be good long as the luggage apes don't go Olympic Event with it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dont tape it closed. TSA is going to open it for inspection anyway and then tape it closed with labeled tpe tht says inspected. At least thats wht they do in Jackson Hole and Baltimore. Most airline allow 5lb of dry ice. Must be declared and in a VENTED container. Don't want no c02 bombs.

I work for skywest airlines in Jackson Hole.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
S
shootem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good point. Tape of their choice in sufficient quantity to avoid autodump.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lake Tahoe at Christmas time is beautiful.

Last edited by Morewood; 12/22/18.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shootem
Thanks yall. Sounds very doable. Even paying extra weight is still cheaper and safer than trying to ship UPS or USPS. A little delay and you can have some very expensive rot. BTDT. And a 48 qt duct taped with the handles reinforced should be semi-gorilla proof. Merry Christmas all.
if you tape it, leave the roll of tape attached to the cooler with a note for them to please retape it. encase they open it to check it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Even if it is not frozen it would travel fine for a day. Nothing is going to rot in a day. The meat will just get more tender.

Bigger mass, all insulation on the outside, will stay frozen hard for 24 hours plus.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Freeze it, if it leaks "juice" you will have different problems.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I've flown from Juneau to Memphis twice with frozen fish. It was vac packed and frozen. Stayed frozen in waxed cardboard boxes in the summer no problem. Under 50 pounds it is handled as checked baggage.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Every year, but we have coolers with bolted on better latches etc.. TSA locks or zip ties. Extras inside. Coolers go up with frozen food in em to AK, come back the same way.

Never had an issue, and stuff to TX in the Sept heat usually, will stay frozen for easily 36-48 hours. Normal igloos, not the heavy fancy ones...I'd bet it would be fine for 3 plus days. We missed luggage once, and it was a day late getting it here, a bit thawed but all just fine.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.