Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Average fella can put a couple of cartridges between the fingers of the off hand while shooting in case they are needed quickly. If not, put them wherever...."

Try that in really cold weather and you'll soon look foe other options. Just ask me how I know. For most of my #1's the butt cuff works from quite well to reasonably well. For the big stuff which is anything over the .375 H&H I generally use an ugly looking custom made by me affair that works quite well. It goes on my belt. My Ruger #1 rifles run from .22 Hornet to .416 Rigby plus the 45-70. There is an article by the late Al Miller from RIFLE Magazine on speed loading the single shot rifle. If the OP is interested, and will PM a snail mail address, I can make him a copy. Some good info in the article and should answer his questions.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One up the spout and a couple spares in a pocket. If rapid re-loading is a concern then I opt for a repeating rifle.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
It's not about fast loading.
Many of my stands are lock on and I don't want to stand up and beer digging in a pants pocket of I miss it off I want to take 2 deer. I don't always wear a coat in SC seeing as it's not cold till December.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have elastic cuffs on the butt, on single shot and double. On repeaters too, when I'm out culling. I don't notice any adverse effect on balance, and it is much faster to reload from than a pocket, belt etc. If I'm feeling particularly optimistic I might have some more rounds in one of those MTM belt carriers, or .303 stripper clips in the pocket to stop them rattling in the case of the 9.3x74. Bag limits are pretty much unknown here.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ringworm
Those butrstock carriers throw too much weight rearward for my taste. The #1 with a 22" tube has such wonderful balance and pointability. It's a shame to add 5 rounds to the back side.
Something leather holding 2 rounds, wrapped around between the scope rings would be perfect.

[Linked Image]

Boy this is about perfect and doesnt detract from a the rifle like some other setups

"Put none but Americans on guard tonight."
-George Washington
IC B2

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I saw somewhere that advertised single round holders that attached to either side of an Encore barrel via epoxy. They looked nice, but lost the ad. I do have a three round leather holder with velcro that attaches to my wrist. OK, but not really thrilled with that setup. I am one who does not like the extra weight of additional rounds on the butt stock. I do keep two rounds between my fingers when shooting. It is a royal pain in the butt to keep up with them, but it is the best I can do for now.

There was no greater freedom than when I would leave Holiday Park Fish Camp heading my airboat west toward the Big Cypress. Fuel for 4 days, a good machete, an ice chest. No phone, no radio. Just God and me and the Everglades.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Back in the days when i was hunting with a Contender I used an elastic wrist cuff.

These days I'd get a wrist cartridge holder from 7X Leather. He'll do custom work too.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by cv540
Those butrstock carriers throw too much weight rearward for my taste. The #1 with a 22" tube has such wonderful balance and pointability. It's a shame to add 5 rounds to the back side.
Something leather holding 2 rounds, wrapped around between the scope rings would be perfect.

[Linked Image]

Boy this is about perfect and doesnt detract from a the rifle like some other setups

I have the Blaser version of one of these - I purchased it from Jerry Russell at Sundog firearms, he is a Blaser dealer

Sundog Firearms
43176 Cupper Creek Rd
Kimberly, OR 97848
OREGON Tel.:541-934-2117
Fax:541-934-2117
E-Mail:sundogoregontrail.net
www.sundogfirearms.com

driver

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It's not about fast loading.
Many of my stands are lock on and I don't want to stand up and beer digging in a pants pocket of I miss it off I want to take 2 deer. I don't always wear a coat in SC seeing as it's not cold till December.

If a full butt cuff affect the weights of the rifle that much, try putting one one or two rounds in the cuff. Shouldn't affect balance all that much.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Found a neoprene 2 round carrier called the Sidecart similar to the nice leather one suggested earlier: link here.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Why would a single shot shooter need a spare?

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Cody Weiser makes some nice custom ammo Bracelets that are reasonably priced.He also is great to deal with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

With a Sharps, it is nice to have a nice spare carrier. If you do shoot them right the first time, you don't need more than one...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Why would a single shot shooter need a spare?

Two is one, one is none.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
when I use my Ruger #1 I put a cartridge in each pocket. That way any hand in any pocket will get me a reload but no cartridge click against each other.

However I carry no cartridges when I hunt with my other single shot.

[Linked Image]my Rifle 2 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
I do carry a small flat horn with enough powder for about 4 more shots,and I also carry a ball-block with 2 patched balls in it.
But that's all.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I always carry on the belt...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife sewed elastic shell holders to the sleeve of my hunting coat.

Now I use a butt sleeve on my drilling, it is a single shot rifle just two shotgun barrels added.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by erich; 01/19/19.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I use a Simply Rugged belt slide by Rob Leahy...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have neoprene wrist cuffs that I used to use when I hunted a lot with contender pistols. Somewhere along the line with the single shot rifles I stopped using them and just put one round in every jacket and pants pocket. That way no matter where I reach, there's a round.

I learned that from turkey hunting with my single 10ga, because no matter where I put more than one or two of those 3 1/2" logs, it felt like too many. laugh So I spread them around.

Last edited by cas6969; 01/21/19.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
LOL, I did the same thing when deer hunting

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

533 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 16penny, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,265 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,391
Posts18,488,706
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.