Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Bamboo trout rods, salmon fly rods, 35mm film cameras, two digital camera systems, bird guns, Over / Unders, SxSs, Savage levers, bolt action hunting rifles, customs knives plus a collection of books on all the above not to mention the cases of literature and volumes of hard cover fiction stowed away in various locations. Vintage wool blankets, Cree Mills mohair throws, wool and loden coats plus a number of blanket boxes / cedar chests to store said goods.

If I'm not here it's because Savage levers and 1920/26 rifles are not the only things that grab my attention. smile

Are you my brother from a different Mother, Bert? smile

Add to that vintage British sports cars (yeah, I'm getting a really strong urge again), .22 target rifles, outrageously good/expensive spirits- and the venues in which to enjoy them- and you'll see what distracts me from these hallowed halls.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Lots of excellent information on broad subjects here on the fire. Came for the Savage 99 information and still learning. Forgetting a lot so have to be refreshed daily. Feel no need to bare my life on Facebook. Think I will feet my feet close to the fire. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still Here. Started on the old Gun & Knife Forum,
Check in most days to see whats happening
Always learning, like others I find Facebook a bit over whelming
that's just me getting older
each to their own or what ever floats their boat
Cheers

One in the hand is better than two in the bush

Graham
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm still around, and frequently visit the FB page too. I'll always be in the learning curve, so I've got a lot to gain from both of these platforms.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a collector of the 'other' Savage's I stay around mainly for the times when it's not about 1899/99's. The Facebook group sounds even more oriented just to the 1899/99's which is why I haven't pursued that. I check in on some other sites regularly but find the group here still has the best information and discussions. I also find I am now looking at 1899's more and using the reference material I have gathered for research on them a lot more often. I now have a few 1899's (had none when I joined), but if someone would hold a decent 1903 EF Grade in front of me I could probably part with all of them if I had to.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I am still around as well, but for the past 3 years life has gotten in the way (a move to Florida, several operations and illnesses for myself and my wife of 51 years). I am not a FB fan. I do enjoy enjoy the wealth of knowledge evident here, the camaradery, the honesty and the occasional vinegar-laced posts. I still have 6 99’s, but with no nearby rifle range, and no place nearby to hunt, I mostly tinker with them or do some shooting at 50 yards...I will likely sell 2 or 3 in the coming months when time and doctor’s visits permit. Happy New Year to all!
John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
One of the above posts jogged my memory about my foray into facebook. I tried to limit it to the 99 facebook club but immediately got all kinds of unwanted people wanting be be my "friend". I'm picky about who my friends are and I'm afraid that the word "savage" in my email address attracted some weirdos. When I did some freelance photography and writing for "Biker" magazine Paisano Publications had a magazine called "Savage". Paisano is best known for "Easyriders" magazine and they were trying to cover a lot of bases with a variety of magazines. I never looked inside a "Savage" magazine. The cover turned me off bad enough I didn't want to look inside.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by olgrouser
Bamboo trout rods, salmon fly rods, 35mm film cameras, two digital camera systems, bird guns, Over / Unders, SxSs, Savage levers, bolt action hunting rifles, customs knives plus a collection of books on all the above not to mention the cases of literature and volumes of hard cover fiction stowed away in various locations. Vintage wool blankets, Cree Mills mohair throws, wool and loden coats plus a number of blanket boxes / cedar chests to store said goods.

If I'm not here it's because Savage levers and 1920/26 rifles are not the only things that grab my attention. smile

Are you my brother from a different Mother, Bert? smile

Add to that vintage British sports cars (yeah, I'm getting a really strong urge again), .22 target rifles, outrageously good/expensive spirits- and the venues in which to enjoy them- and you'll see what distracts me from these hallowed halls.

I should have asked you. A friend gave me a bottle of Eldorado 25 year, and since I'm not supposed to drink till I'm off the blood thinners, I regifted it to another friend.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jacck I'll send you the link
and Joe down load AD blocker plus it'll stop those pop-ups

plab

Gotta love them 303's
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I used to be highly addicted to this place back when I first joined and several years afterwards. Since then I have sold all my 99's except one 99F in .300 and have two 1907's in .32. I still like to swing by and lurk from time to time...always seem to learn something new!

Last edited by brents99; 12/28/18.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks Plab. I posted the link earlier in the thread. Are you on the club Plab? I dont use a pc i just use my phone. Im not sure i can download a pop up blocker app.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of valid reasons mentioned. Some of which I didn’t think of. Thank you for the input.

There are a few fellas that don’t post anymore but were a great addition to the discussion. I learned a lot from them, and owe them because of it. Still a lot good guys left though. And I don’t know everything, and so it continues.

If any of you go to the Winchester forum, there are a few individuals that act like they are the burning bush of Winchesters. If anyone questions them, it turns unprofessional real quick. I am fairly confident that they made a lot of the Winchester guys look for greener pastures. We don’t have much of that here IMO.

Happy New Year

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Facebook gets a lot of new folks in, so I pop in there to answer questions and try to get new folks interested. But they rarely if ever cover new stuff, there’s just not activity from the experienced collectors to bring it up. It’s good for what it is.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The funny thing for me is I work in a highly competitive industry.

The Equine health industry, lots of opinions ( most of them flawed) except of course for mine!

With the debating skills learned on the campfire Miss Melanie sees red . Loses sleep and wants to kill me when I employ my most effective finely honed sarcastic banter at these unsuspecting animal health authorities I most gleefully educate on Facebook!

The upside she is slowly allowing me to pursue firearm collecting .........I am getting to come out of the closet as a Lever Loonie!

Happy New Year!

Last edited by Angus1895; 12/28/18.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 204guy, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,890
Posts18,518,307
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.