-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I had about decided the temblors were not bothering me any more. The 4.9 this morning woke me right up! It lasted quite a while, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Slept right through it. Probably because I didn't get to sleep until 3AM.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You guys still getting lots of these? Something really going on up there!

Hope it settles down for you.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockdoc
You guys still getting lots of these? Something really going on up there!

Hope it settles down for you.

It has settled down a tremendous degree, but the little ones keep coming.

It is as much your "fault" as ours...

http://www.messagetoeagle.com/ring-...uent-earthquakes-and-volcanic-eruptions/

Ring Of Fire: Gigantic Zone Of Frequent Earthquakes And Volcanic Eruptions
MessageToEagle.com | April 16, 2016 | Cool Science Facts, Featured Stories

Share via FacebookShare via TwitterShare via GoogleShare via PinterestShare via StumbleUponShare via Email
MessageToEagle.com – The Ring of Fire refers to a very geologically active section of the world, the Pacific Rim.

In fact, it’s not really a full circle, but rather a horseshoe-shaped zone of frequent earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

The location of the ring of fire encircling the Pacific Ocean. Image from: https://sites.google.com/site/volcanoesandtheringoffireurja/
The location of the ring of fire encircling the Pacific Ocean. Image from: https://sites.google.com/site/volcanoesandtheringoffireurja/
The Ring of Fire, which is a 25,000 mile (40,000 km) is not just a coincidence but the geological setting of the Pacific Rim which leads to it being so active.

This gigantic region on our planet has its ‘firing ‘name because within it, there are 452 active and dormant volcanoes.

It means that the Ring of Fire includes 75% of the world’s active volcanoes and is also responsible for 90% of the world’s earthquakes.

The Ring of Fire stretches from the southern tip of South America, up along the coast of North America, across the Bering Strait, down through Japan, and into New Zealand, and multiple Pacific Islands such as Papua New Guinea.

Ring of Fire. Credits: oceanexplorer.noaa.gov
Credits: oceanexplorer.noaa.gov
The Ring of Fire is the result of plate tectonics, huge slabs of the Earth’s crust, which fit together like pieces of a puzzle. The plates are not fixed but are constantly moving atop a layer of solid and molten rock called the mantle.
See also: Amasia – New Future Supercontinent

Sometimes these plates collide, move apart, or slide next to each other. Most tectonic activity in the Ring of Fire occurs in these geologically active zones.

Among 452 volcanoes of the Ring of Fire, there are some very famous and dangerous.

For example:

Popocatepetl – an active volcano in the Trans Mexican Volcanic Belt. Located near Mexico City, this volcano is considered by many to be the most dangerous in the world since a large eruption could potentially kill millions of people.

Mt. Saint Helens -The Cascade Mountains in the United States’ Pacific Northwest hosts the 800 mile (1,300 km) Cascade Volcanic Arc. The Cascades contain 13 major volcanoes and nearly 3,000 other volcanic features. The most recent eruption in the Cascades occurred at Mt. Saint Helens in 1980.

The Andean Volcanic Belt within the Andes Mountains (longest, continental mountain range in the world) is broken into into four volcanic zones that include such active volcanoes as Cotopaxi and Cerro Azul. It is also home to the highest, active volcano — Ojos del Salado.

Mt. Fuji, located on the Japanese island of Honshu, Mt. Fuji, at 12,380 feet (3,776 m), is the tallest mountain in Japan and the world’s most visited mountain and an active volcano that last erupted in 1707.

Krakatoa – In the Indonesia Island Arc sits Krakatoa, remembered for its massive eruption on August, 27, 1883 that killed 36,000 people and was heard 2,800 miles away (it is considered the loudest sound in modern history).

The Indonesian Island Arc is also home to Mt. Tambora, whose eruption on April 10, 1815 was the largest in major history, being calculated as a 7 on the Volcanic Explosion Index (VEI).

Learn more:
Ring Of Fire: Home To Powerful And Deadly Forces Lurking Deep Beneath Earth’s Surface

MessageToEagle.com

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
There is a map at that link that did not come up...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Read earlier today seismologists suggest there will "always" be an aftershock within an order of magnitude of the original before it settles down... I have not been able to refind that article, but it is out there somewhere.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On the road, coffee in hand. Never felt it.

Whales have yet to arrive in Maui.....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las

But you are in time...

Congratulations!
wink

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las

But you are in time...

Congratulations!
wink

That doesnt sound sincere.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by las

But you are in time...

Congratulations!
wink

That doesnt sound sincere.

Sincere as can be, since I left Hawaii before he got there!
wink

No jealousy whatsoever!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Place is full of Alaskans! As I was gassing the car the day before a friend and his wife were doing the same on their way to Molokai. My Kotz landlord is on big island, half a dozen friend of the couple we are with are scattered around also.

“ how many clothes does an Alaskan wear in the winter?”

“None unless it is raining on Maui “

They make me tho.....

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
Place is full of Alaskans! As I was gassing the car the day before a friend and his wife were doing the same on their way to Molokai. My Kotz landlord is on big island, half a dozen friend of the couple we are with are scattered around also.

They make me tho.....

Would have guessed a little rain would take the wrinkles out...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by las

They make me tho.....

Must look like the belugas moved in! blush

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by las

They make me tho.....

Must look like the belugas moved in! blush

No, I am home already!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Hard rain last night. Trails washed out. No belugas riding horseback today. Aquarium visit instead

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Just had a pretty good one... 5.0, but from the 9th floor of the Captain Cook Hotel it felt like all of that!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (16penny, 14idaho, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 45 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,991
Posts18,481,094
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.