Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
When I saw the title of this thread my pay answer was Liiisa...

WINNER!!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
When I saw the title of this thread my pay answer was Liiisa...

WINNER!!!

Chicken dinner!

I would put my money on the 375HH

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Thinking here that the only answer containing a recommendation should be from an ALASKAN!

But I had a thought or two. The 45/70 has been loaded up to the moon & the 458 can't be handled by just anyone. So... a loaded down 458 seems to be an answer. But a 20" 375 ruger could? be more versatile? & have ample(a lot of) power? with added flatter trajectory?

Just dreaming, if I ever get up there, it probably wont be with a tag.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by kaboku68
50 Alaskan. Joe Want would say 500 Nitro Express.

Joe still polluting AOD?

The mods there drove me away 2/3 years ago, thought I'd heard rumors Joe had been giving the boot.

That is what happens when the idiots are protected by idiots and all opinion trumps correct information. Joe might know more about AK hunting than every idiot over there.

The story behind Joe Want, was a fella over there on AOD drew a Kodiak bear tag. This fella went and did the hunt and ended up shooting a 6 1/2 brown bear. The story I got ol Joe Want was not happy, and called this guy every name in the book through pm. The guy who shot it is a well respected guy over there, anyhow Joe Want was never banned he just left due to differences of opinions with this fella and another fella by the name of bushrat the founder of RHAK.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I gave up on AOD when it became more of a Sh?tShw than I wanted. I know Joe from gunshows and from talking to him around town. I taught his grand daughter this past semester. After further thought the 416 Remington Echol's custom used by Tia Shoemaker is the Big Bore Rife of the year.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While have a like nib model 70 classic stainless in a 375 H&H. I bought it new, shot it 15 times 5 yrs ago. I carry either a 338 wsm or 30-06 sometimes my 325 wsm.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by akjeff
"If I was going out to pack game back in...12ga w/ Brennekes."

One of the last combos I would choose. There are more piss poor choices for bear protection, but not many.

Yeah genius...what is your profound knowledge of bears, let alone Wilderness? Betting you haven't been off your couch in years..........if ever.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Let me guess, if it's really dicy bear country, you load alternating slugs and double ought buck!

Good grief.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
30-06

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All my years up here hunting I have never seen anyone packing 45-70.. I seen just about every bolt action though.. remington, Winchester, browning, Ruger etc.. but no marlin lever gun in 45-70.. far as shotguns only time I ever seen a shotgun being carried was down on the upper Kenai during salmon season..

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

One of the last combos I would choose. There are more piss poor choices for bear protection, but not many.

Yeah genius...what is your profound knowledge of bears, let alone Wilderness? Betting you haven't been off your couch in years..........if ever.

You made a very bad choice for someone to call out... He might have actually used a handgun on a charging Kodiak bear... and may just have tremendous time in seriously wild country.

And I will say he is widely respected...

And I agree with his comments.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by kaboku68
50 Alaskan. Joe Want would say 500 Nitro Express.

Joe still polluting AOD?

The mods there drove me away 2/3 years ago, thought I'd heard rumors Joe had been giving the boot.

That is what happens when the idiots are protected by idiots and all opinion trumps correct information. Joe might know more about AK hunting than every idiot over there.

The story behind Joe Want, was a fella over there on AOD drew a Kodiak bear tag. This fella went and did the hunt and ended up shooting a 6 1/2 brown bear. The story I got ol Joe Want was not happy, and called this guy every name in the book through pm. The guy who shot it is a well respected guy over there, anyhow Joe Want was never banned he just left due to differences of opinions with this fella and another fella by the name of bushrat the founder of RHAK.

Thanks for the back story...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Who are you to say anything??

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Why anyone would readily choose a shotgun with slugs for anything when there was a rifle available was always a puzzler to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oops Jeff has probably spent more time in wild country while at work than most of us get in a season of hunting.

But he may have been on a couch the whole time he was in Africa, sneaky bastid just camouflaged the couch in all those pics he showed me.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I think a 12 gauge slug gun would work fine if loaded with the right slugs. The Dixie hard cast IXL dangerous game slugs weigh 870 grains and have out penetrated alot of medium- big bore rifles in tests using cattle bones and wet newsprint to catch the bullets and measure penetration. Dixie loads the hard cast slugs to 1250 fps out of a 20" slug barrel and sells them as components to load yourself.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheKid
Why anyone would readily choose a shotgun with slugs for anything when there was a rifle available was always a puzzler to me.

I'd wager to say it puzzles most everyone with a fair amount of firearms experience, who also study ballistics a bit; rather than believing old wives tales.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You made a very bad choice for someone to call out... He might have actually used a handgun on a charging Kodiak bear... and may just have tremendous time in seriously wild country.

And I will say he is widely respected...

And I agree with his comments.

While I've not had to shoot any charging bears, I have spent a fair amount of time(going on 34 years) working/hunting/fishing/camping in just about every corner of Alaska. To include "going out to pack game". But, it looks like there's a new sheriff in Alaska, so I'll defer to his vast knowledge and experience. smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Good plan...

Happy New Year!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The good Sheriff's profile doesn't say where he's from. Lots of non-Alaska folks have watched a couple of episodes of Alaska reality shows and feel qualified to tell us how it should be done.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 153, 160user, 10ring1, 72 invisible), 2,948 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,975
Posts18,480,777
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.