Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And to answer the question.. I have a 338-06. When I decided to get a big gun we bought a 458 Win. Got a good deal on it and its not bad to shoot. Wife is small, and she will shoot it though full on 500s are not her favorite.

There are lots of good choices and folks make their own decisions, and they all work.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Ranting
So your never under Gunned>> take the new 25-o6 to a brown bear hunt because my new bullet is better !!!>>Mass Kills big things! 22 swift kills GOOFS>> but not Bears>>and that what the rags are saying you take a Knife to a gun fight> NO you take a 270 to a brown Bear Fight >> I would say the Bear will win >> put that on his coffin Rag!

Can someone translate this?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I finally moved up to a 375HH >MM I have never shot a charging Brown bear but I have shot a few big black in dicky willow >close and I always took my 375 H&H even I had a 338!

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Can someone translate this?>> My Son Lives in Germany >maybe you can Phone Him!! >>

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Can someone translate this?>> My Son Lives in Germany >maybe you can Phone Him!! >>

O great, there’s a <Jr>.

Are you part of the problem or part of the solution?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by akjeff
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
"If I was going out to pack game back in...12ga w/ Brennekes."

One of the last combos I would choose. There are more piss poor choices for bear protection, but not many.

Yeah genius...what is your profound knowledge of bears, let alone Wilderness? Betting you haven't been off your couch in years..........if ever.

You made a very bad choice for someone to call out... He might have actually used a handgun on a charging Kodiak bear... and may just have tremendous time in seriously wild country.

And I will say he is widely respected...

And I agree with his comments.

While I've not had to shoot any charging bears, I have spent a fair amount of time(going on 34 years) working/hunting/fishing/camping in just about every corner of Alaska. To include "going out to pack game". But, it looks like there's a new sheriff in Alaska, so I'll defer to his vast knowledge and experience. smile

I thought there was an incident at Uganik Lake?

That was Little River Lake, and was a hunting pard, with a .30-06.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mart
The good Sheriff's profile doesn't say where he's from. Lots of non-Alaska folks have watched a couple of episodes of Alaska reality shows and feel qualified to tell us how it should be done.

I know how to bring you back to your family...

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mart
The good Sheriff's profile doesn't say where he's from. Lots of non-Alaska folks have watched a couple of episodes of Alaska reality shows and feel qualified to tell us how it should be done.

It is cheap and amusing entertainment.

Originally Posted by ironbender
So your never under Gunned>> take the new 25-o6 to a brown bear hunt because my new bullet is better !!!>>Mass Kills big things! 22 swift kills GOOFS>> but not Bears>>and that what the rags are saying you take a Knife to a gun fight> NO you take a 270 to a brown Bear Fight >> I would say the Bear will win >> put that on his coffin Rag!

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You made a very bad choice for someone to call out... He might have actually used a handgun on a charging Kodiak bear... and may just have tremendous time in seriously wild country.

While I've not had to shoot any charging bears, I have spent a fair amount of time(going on 34 years) working/hunting/fishing/camping in just about every corner of Alaska. To include "going out to pack game". But, it looks like there's a new sheriff in Alaska, so I'll defer to his vast knowledge and experience. smile

Okay, I was only about 10 miles away! wink

And a detail or two short! That only could have happened while riding a LazyBoy!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

And a detail or two short! That only could have happened while riding a LazyBoy!

smile Have hunted from the couch at Uganik a few times as well.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

smile Have hunted from the couch at Uganik a few times as well.

Last brown bear I killed in Uganik upset a whole plate of petit fours... left a stain on the carpet even... at least no champagne was spilled.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Probably not. What you have found is a manuscript of the ancient “bird” language! It is identified by the “bird tracks” (these >>>) imprinted in all the rest of the bird crap...

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
[quote=Ranting]So your never under Gunned>> take the new 25-o6 to a brown bear hunt because my new bullet is better !!!>>Mass Kills big things! 22 swift kills GOOFS>> but not Bears>>and that what the rags are saying you take a Knife to a gun fight> NO you take a 270 to a brown Bear Fight >> I would say the Bear will win >> put that on his coffin Rag!

wow and no maybe not ? so yes just take a 375 H&H just to be safe ?
/

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I finally moved up to a 375HH >MM I have never shot a charging Brown bear but I have shot a few big black in dicky willow >close and I always took my 375 H&H even I had a 338!
Did it require a shot afterwards? Sounds painful.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
When I was on a Bristol Bay salmon boat for ten summers growing up we had Dad's old .410 pump with slugs for "nuisance" wildlife (those would be animals in the water only, we never seemed to touch land). That counts as a big bore right? smile

It was a little tough to be accurate with, as he had bent the barrel a little on it when he wrecked his bike with it slung over his shoulder at approx age 10. smile

Last edited by slm9s; 01/02/19.
R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
OK>> I see Its all over the board but the big thing that no one said??? do you hunt and most do not hunt GriZZ that you would need a big bore just to Hunt because of Grizz or is Grizzly contact over rated in an Alaskan Hunt and just take the good old 3006 and do all hunting in Alaska?

R
Ranting Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Is Grizzly contact in a Hunt in Alaska Over Rated?

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Depends on who is initiating said "contact". If Grizzly initiated, I'd say grizzly contact is way over rated.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Big bores are actually more often put into action fishing rather than hunting. I always have a 375 or 458 when packing loads of fish through the brush.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
But we really don't think o'l female doggy cares... just trolling stirring the pot, sock puppet of someone.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

652 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,957
Posts18,480,454
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.