Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yes, another good point--kinda.

One of the interesting factoids about hunting is that the average age keep creeping up, because not as many younger people are starting to hunt. This not only means the average hunter's vision changes more from year to year, but isn't as "flexible" as it was when younger, so setting the focus "hard" doesn't always work.

Over a decade ago, I gave a friend of mine (who was going through scope-focus problems at around age 50) a scope with a non-lock focus ring on the rear of the ocular bell. She was VERY grateful, because if the view looked slightly fuzzy, she could instantly correct it. And since then I've run into plenty of what are now average-age hunters who feel the same way.

Yes, unfortunately, I understand this. From a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense, as does the large ocular bell. The majority are happy with these features or at the very least, tolerate them. It's unfortunate for me since I'm in the minority, apparently. As for the fast focus, I'm over 50 but guess my eyes don't have this "changing vision" issue. At least not yet!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Mule Deer

Most recently I bought a new scope. I thought I would branch out from the Leupolds I have been using for decades. I asked on the fire about Swarovski's. Pretty universal approval of them and their glass. Went to the Billings Cabela's to look at them. Bought the Leupold. I did not like the Swarovski's at all. Now if I hadn't looked at them first I would have paid for something I did not like. Now because I did I have what I like.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 01/08/19.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
no they will not...………….

gunut
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don’t waste my money on cheap optics, I only buy Zeiss, Swarovski, kahles, with one of these companies you don’t have to ask why.

Fück Joe byron
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Just a Hunter,

Just curious: What do you discover by looking before purchasing?

Hi John,

I get your point: It is not possible to judge the optical resolution of the scope or how the image looks like under poor lighting conditions just by looking through a scope at a retail store. But some interesting things can be learned by looking into the objective side of a scope even when you are at a retail store or at SHOT Show:

a) All the reflections of a lamp or any other light source must be colored and dim. You should not see any white or bright reflections.
b) Check the size of the entrance pupil (the bright circle that you see when looking into the objective). Is it as large as the objective? Change the zoom and see if and how it changes. Now do this test for a Schmidt and Bender Stratus and a Zeiss Varipoint/Diavari and you'll see the difference. The new fancy lines by Swarovski and Schmidt and Bender all have an entrance pupil smaller than the actual size of their objective durig most of the zoo range!! BIG CHEATERS!!
c) You can also test if the eyepice provides an "edgeless" view as in Zeiss Varipoint or Hensoldt military models.

laugh

Last edited by Omid; 01/08/19.
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Omid,

So are the "new fancy lines" using a field stop, or erector systems that are too small? (I described looking into the objective for a front-end field stop in my first optics book, now 20 years old.)

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Rolltide,

You've probably never seen a Tract scope in person because they can only be purchased through ww.tractoptics.com, not in any store.

Roll Tigers.....

And that is the problem I have with them. I like to look at these things to see if I like it before purchasing.

I am with you on this - if I am going to put out my money for something I want to at least take a look at it prior to laying down the money.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like any other company Tract has to start small. I understand peoples worries about whats the long term with Tract. I know both owners very well. They are both stand up guys and have been in the industry a long time. They both left Nikon to do something better in the optics world. They have taken a chance as well. From what Ive seen and experienced they put out a quality product with a very low failure rate.I remember when Vortex first started and look at them now. The owners care a lot about the company, what it produces, and its customer base. Sales are doing well and growing steadily. Sure they can't be found in a store but with their 30 day policy you can't go wrong. Tract does go to the shows so if one isn't too far go check them out. Cutting out the middleman is saving the customers a good chunk of change. Its a new idea for an optics company but maybe over time this will become the norm.

NRA LIfe Member, Colt, Sig, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armorer, NYBIN , NYPD Firearms Examiner, Serial Number Restoration, Cerakote, Gunkote, and Duracoat finishes
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by bhoges
Like any other company Tract has to start small. I understand peoples worries about whats the long term with Tract. I know both owners very well. They are both stand up guys and have been in the industry a long time. They both left Nikon to do something better in the optics world. They have taken a chance as well. From what Ive seen and experienced they put out a quality product with a very low failure rate.I remember when Vortex first started and look at them now. The owners care a lot about the company, what it produces, and its customer base. Sales are doing well and growing steadily. Sure they can't be found in a store but with their 30 day policy you can't go wrong. Tract does go to the shows so if one isn't too far go check them out. Cutting out the middleman is saving the customers a good chunk of change. Its a new idea for an optics company but maybe over time this will become the norm.

Tract sells direct to the customer, this allows the customer to save a sizable amount of money on a quality optic.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
are the "new fancy lines" using a field stop, or erector systems that are too small?

Yes. Somehow the requirement to increase zoom range must have forced the designers to use smaller lenses in the erector system. The smaller lenses will reduce the size of the "aperture stop" in the scope and that, in turn, makes much of the objective lens area wasted.

An interesting example: The entrance pupil (quoted as "effective lens diameter") of my Swarovski Z6 1-6X24 EE scope is only 10.9 millimeter. So at 1X it is effectively 1X11 scope!! The effective lens diameter gets worse in the Z6 non-EE model (9.6mm) and further reduced to 8.2mm in the newer Z8i model. For comparison, the Schmidt and Bender 1.25-4X20 Classic scope (which I also have) has an entrance pupil same size as its objecive: 20mm.

-Omid

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Interesting Omid--appreciate the insight.

Defend the Constitution
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

Tract sells direct to the customer, this allows the customer to save a sizable amount of money on a quality optic.

Or Tract makes more than the typical "manufacturer" does on each item. I've not seen where their prices are far below comparable products. Certainly no wheres close to a bargain, as would be the case cutting out distributor and retailer costs/markups. Just the way I've seen it from their start... Didn't care for their product names either. LOL

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Or Tract makes more than the typical "manufacturer" does on each item. I've not seen where their prices are far below comparable products. Certainly no wheres close to a bargain, as would be the case cutting out distributor and retailer costs/markups. Just the way I've seen it from their start... Didn't care for their product names either. LOL

Gotta disagree with this assessment. The Toric binos are a STEAL even at non closeout prices, and compare very favorable to these:

Toric UHD 8x42 (closeout) $490
Razor HD $900
Conquest HD $700
Meostar HD (10x42) $1000
GPO HD $979
Trinovid HD $950

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

I have to call b.s.

Tell them The Fire needs one of their upper end scopes to test and dial . I know they passed out a cheaper one, but didn’t it crap out ?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Gotta disagree with this assessment. The Toric binos are a STEAL even at non closeout prices, and compare very favorable to these:

Toric UHD 8x42 (closeout) $490
Razor HD $900
Conquest HD $700
Meostar HD (10x42) $1000
GPO HD $979
Trinovid HD $950

Closeout $490? What was their price? Curious, why are they closing out a product just introduced? Gawd the markup on chit is insulting.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Closing out because they have an updated model w/UHD Schott glass, and the closed out model has been around for a few years now because I've owned one that long. You said it wasn't a bargain, I proved to myself it is, as I've had it side by side on a tripod with all of those I listed. It's a STEAL.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/08/19.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Closing out because they have an updated model w/UHD Schott glass, and the closed out model has been around for a few years now because I've owned one that long. You said it wasn't a bargain, I proved to myself it is, as I've had it side by side on a tripod with all of those I listed. It's a STEAL.

COOL How much was the price before closeout?

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
IIRC, app $625

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I think they were $634 or $654... something like that.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

I have to call b.s.

Tell them The Fire needs one of their upper end scopes to test and dial . I know they passed out a cheaper one, but didn’t it crap out ?

You calling BS on something you've never laid eyes on? Classic. My 3-15x is superb.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,592
Posts18,492,149
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.