Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Need a tent for son's first scout campout, and I threw out mine after the flood a little over a year ago. Doesn't need to be an ultralight backpacking tent, but I would lean towards something that I wouldn't mind carrying a couple miles. Leaning towards a 3 person tent (have 2 kids and wife has no interest in camping). Not looking to spend a lot, but want one to keep us dry if we were rained on. 3 season tent with decent ventilation that's easy to set up should meet its purpose (camping in the South).

Do stores like Bass Pro, Cabelas, Academy, or Wal-Mart have any decent tents meeting our fairly basic needs? We also have a BSA Scout Shop near us that has camping gear. Wife wants to buy one at a local store (we have all those I listed) so the buying is part of the experience for our son, and I think that would be good. Any recommendations?

My default in the past would have been to go to REI, but their Left Coast leadership has revealed their anti 2nd Amendment opinion, so if I have another good option, I'll go with the other option.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have a cheap four person tent I use when hunting/camping on the rivers . Got it at walmart $60 it packs up like a bag with two footballs in it , been using it 4 years -still works fine.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Cabela's dome tents are pretty hardy doing very well in wind and rain if staked down. More expensive but a little lighter with aluminum poles. Go with a 4 person for 2 people,some gear inside, and maybe a little cooking within.

1Minute
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You can find a decent tent at any of them for what you're using it for. If you're planning on sleeping 3 in there, you'll need something bigger than a 3 person as well.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
question....are you sure your son's scout troop doesn't provide tents?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Need a tent for son's first scout campout

Get him something nice, so he can get a female scout inside it.

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm wrapping up my scout camping days but when i started out with my boys i went through a couple schitty walmart dome tents and always found them lacking. some old timers in my troop had this one and i ended up buying 2, one used and one new. they are solid, easy to set up, waterproof and storm proof. over the 10 years or so we've camped in some serious weather in these and never a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-26277...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B000EQ813S

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doctor_Encore
question....are you sure your son's scout troop doesn't provide tents?

The packing list included a tent, so apparently this troop doesn't. Thank you for asking to make sure.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My favorite car camping tent is a Marmot Limelite ... don't recall whether it is the 2P or 3P. I would use it for backpacking if I were carrying a tent to share with 2-3 people but I have lighter tents for solo use. The "bent leg" is cool .. it makes the whole floor space usable space instead of wasting it on corners that are hard to use, get damp, etc. My preferred setup is between a couple trees where I can hang a tarp overhead as an awning, dry access to the tent, and "hang out" space for when I'm not sleeping.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I was in our Walmart Saturday, all hunting stuff moving out, summer merchandise coming in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Check out Backcountry.com clearance and Steepandcheap.com

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This one

The fly comes all the way to the ground, only one I found in this price range that has this quality of a fly.
Just bought it for a nephew for his birthday

If ya want to go top end get a Marmot. www.marmot.com/equipment/tents

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Eureka and Cabelas tents are good.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SockPuppet
Check out Backcountry.com clearance and Steepandcheap.com

That was going to be my recommendation. BC almost always has an extra 10-20% off your first order too.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
First a three man would be tight for two with gear but doable without gear let alone three. The Eureka is a good tent and used a lot by the scouts. If you are car camping the colman Insta tent is awesome goes up in less than a minute I love mine. If you are packing it then size and weight matters and the lighter you go the more it cost. The one thing you can do is separate the tent and everyone carry some of it to share the weight and bulk. There are a lot of quality tents the choice is yours. Widow

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used a Eureka 3 person for probably 15 years. The 3 person has plenty of space.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm wrapping up my scout camping days but when i started out with my boys i went through a couple schitty walmart dome tents and always found them lacking. some old timers in my troop had this one and i ended up buying 2, one used and one new. they are solid, easy to set up, waterproof and storm proof. over the 10 years or so we've camped in some serious weather in these and never a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-26277...ative=165953&creativeASIN=B000EQ813S
y

Good tent for the money, Comes with a rain fly.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-XPG-ULTRA-LIGHT-P-TENT/2495719.uts?slotId=0

I've had good luck with Cabelas XPG line of gear. Durable and functional and reasonably priced for what you get. They are not the cheapest but the are a good value. It's on sale for $200 and it weighs 4# 9oz. That's pretty good for a 3-person tent. Remember that a tent advertised as a 3-person tent will hold three sleeping bags and not much else. This tent would be good for two people plus their gear.

Stay away from tents at Walmart. They are junk.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
See if you can find an easy up one with poles trapped. My nephew has one, far easier to set up than my yard sale Eureka. Be aware of "ventilation", some tents are almost all mesh with a rainfly and get cold no matter where you are. Look at the pics of the "3" man. it is 3 people laying down, and the guy on the end better not need to pee. One thing I find is I like (truck camping) is enough headroom to stand up to put on my pants.

Or get a tentcot

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 1234, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,326 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,308
Posts18,505,488
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.