-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
SANTA FE, N.M. (KRQE) - Just a month before the upcoming legislative session begins, the bills are flowing in. With the Democrats firmly in control in the Roundhouse, gun control will be front and center.

Gun laws and gun sales have been a recurring topic across the country, including right here in New Mexico.

In the run-up to the state legislative session, state Democratic Senators Richard Martinez and Peter Wirth have filed a bill that would make it harder to buy a gun.

It says if guns are privately sold, the buyer must go through a federal background check, and if the gun is sold without one, the buyer and seller could be charged with a misdemeanor.

A House bill proposed by Democratic Rep. Miguel Garcia calls for background checks for buyers at gun shows.

"I'm for it," said local Bill Lagattuta.

"It's intrusive, that's the problem with this bill," said local Andy Montoya.

Locals who KRQE News 13 spoke with have different opinions.

"The reality is, it doesn't stop or curb any kind of gun violence whatsoever," said Montoya, who is also a firearms trainer and NRA member.

Montoya said these laws aren't necessary because criminals would still get their hands on guns.

"They're stealing these, they're selling these guns for pennies on the dollar out on the street in the black market," said Montoya. "They're not gonna go to a gun show and spend full price, $500 for an average medium-size gun when they can buy a stolen out on the street for $100 bucks."

Others think the bills would help deter crime.

"And they can say, you know what...going through this background check, I don't really feel comfortable you know...like I'm not gonna sell this gun," said local Charles Morales.

However, both sides of this divisive topic agree New Mexico needs to lower gun violence.

"So this universal background this is a farce and it's not going to save anybody," said Montoya.

"I think there's too much violence in the United States with guns and we need to somehow have stricter laws about it," said Lagattuta.

What isn't clear in these bills: how law enforcement would know if someone sells a gun without requiring a background check.

KRQE News 13 reached out to the three state lawmakers behind these proposed gun laws and none of them got back to us.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
They control NM totally now.

If you really wanna get pissed off, just wait and see what the new governor does to the NM Game Commission.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

If you really wanna get pissed off, just wait and see what the new governor does to the NM Game Commission.

I know. They already don’t care about that 2 billion surplus from oil and gas. Another bill will pass to raise the gasoline tax another 10 cents per gallon.

I’ll be gone soon enough.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
gbp Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

+1

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

But that is a long standing Democratic tradition. Remember when Jerry Apodoaca fired Ladd Gordon as head of NM Game and Fish and replaced him with his know nothing son in law? Hunting in NM has gone down hill ever since.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Allen917

But that is a long standing Democratic tradition. Remember when Jerry Apodoaca fired Ladd Gordon as head of NM Game and Fish and replaced him with his know nothing son in law? Hunting in NM has gone down hill ever since.

Oh yeah.

Bill Richardson stacked the deck with liberals and bunny huggers.

I was on the ground fighting him with a group there in NM. We actually won that battle, because it was proven that crooked Bill had not abided by the state constitution with his appointments. He has to choose from BOTH political parties, and he has to choose from different areas of the state.

He'd stacked the deck with unlawful appointments from ABQ & Santa Fe.

We got them ousted.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The problem is that a private person CANNOT call the BATFE to do a background check. You have to be an FFL to do that. Such a law cannot be complied with.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Just an add. Every NM Sheriff stated they will not comply with unconstitutional laws. Their oath is constitution first.

And they will not take one persons opinion on red flag laws.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,296
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.