Print Thread
Hop To
M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Been narrowing down my choices for a tripod that I can use for a pair of 15x binoculars. All comments good or bad are useful.

1. Kowa Slik: Alloy, 6.5 lbs, $190.00.

2. Bushnell Titanium 78404. 3.5lbs, $119.00

3. Brunton tubular: 3.9lbs, $149.00

4. Bogen/manfrotto 700rc2,055v: 6.2lbs $251.00

5. Bogen/manfrotto 3021, (choice of headmounts) 6lbs $235.00

I will consider others, but this is where Im at so far. Your oppinions please.

Thanks,

Maestro

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
maestro:

I am playing tripod research today as well.

I'll get back atcha.

rb

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a Monfrotto with the 3265G pistol grip head and I love it. I bought mine as a complete kit from Premier Reticle years ago. It comes in a real nice cordura case that holds the tripod, the head, and the spotting scope.

Very sturdy and light weight tripod that will go down flat against the ground if you need it to.

M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Which legs did you buy with it?
Can you use your binos standing up?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don�t use it with binoculars, but I�m six feet tall and can use it standing up with a spotting scope attached and the center extension tube in the uppermost position.

The legs are approxiamtely 17 inches long with two telescoping sections that put the head base at center chest height on me with the legs fully extended.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here�s the model I have. It�s a Monfrotto 055 Tracker, which I believe has been replaced with a new version. I bought mine probably 10 or 12 years ago...at least.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Manfrotto_055NAT3_TRACKER_Tripod__6460897

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking at the Manfrotto 055 carbon fiber series as we speak, trying to find good comparative data. It looks like I can get to a 72-inch height fully extended, which is important to me.

Pending ...

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Monfrottos have a HUGE number of really handy accessories for customizing your set up to your particular gear. A bit pricey, but about the best you can get in my opinion.

My Leupold spotting scope and Monfrotto tripod have done two tours in Iraq (one with my son and another with a close friend) and other than some scrapes and scratches they are just fine.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My son & I have used the Slik U212 Deluxe tripods with the Slik AF2100 Pistol Grip Heads over the last four years and they are great. We used them with spotting scopes and digital cameras for wild game photos and to glass deer from our stands. I am 6'2" and he is 6'3" and both of us can use them standing up. The tripod with the PG head weighs 7.5 lbs. We have four of the U212 tripods and two pistol grip heads.

Also I have one Slik PRO 700 DX with a 3-Way Pan head that weighs 7 lbs but it is more stable. I am looking for a PG head for it now. With the PG head it will weigh about 8.25 lbs. But while the U212 supports 5.5 lbs, the PRO 700 supports 15 lbs!

The pistol grip heads are the only way to go for what we do. They are well worth the extra money. Speaking of money, I purchase all of these off eBay. Three used and one new. Paid as little as $13 for a good used one and $61 for the new one. The PRO 700 DX cost me $85 used. One PG head was purchased new for $49 and the other one used for $38. I just got a nice used U212 with a PG head for $78 last month for a friend. If you want to watch eBay, you can get some deals there.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I had the Bushnell and now have the Bogen 3021 with the 3126 head, under Zeiss 15x60's. I liked the Bushnell, especially for the money, but they were too short for me to comfortably use standing up. (I am right at 6') The Bogen is an awesome set up once you are at the top of the hill, but getting them there is more than I really want to keep doing. The panhead is much better than the Bushnell. I personally like the two way pan better than a pistol grip.

So I guess I have had two your choices and am still looking. But I think I would still have the Bushnell if I was about 3 or 4 inches shorter.

I totally agree that ebay is the way to go, there always seems to be some great deals on used tripods there.

IC B3

M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Thats what I was afraid of with the Bushnell Titanium, a little short.

Has anyone used the BRUNTON LIGHTWEIGHT TUBULAR. With head its 3.9lbs at a height of 68.9" and $149.00.

Tripod head. "Integrated 3-way head (non-removable). " Dont know what that exactly means,(can I replace it etc).

mike

M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Still trying to find something lighter than this, but here goes.

Kowa, SLIK Legs and head
TPS 700PG 75" 6.75lbs $230

TPS 700BH 75" 6 lbs $210

TPS 700FP 74" 6.2 lbs $$165

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How tough will the carbon fiber legs be?

I looked at them but was afraid they would not hold up. After hitting my carbon fiber fishing rod on the boat rail, it broke where I dinged it the next time I had a fish on. For my tripod, I chose light metal construction that should hold up better in the outdoors.

To me the carbon fiber ones are for my wife to use for wedding photos. And when it breaks, she can get the metal one out of the car to finish her wedding.

Carrying a 7 1/2 lb metal tripod on a hunt will insure I have a tripod to use for the whole trip.

NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by maestro
Been narrowing down my choices for a tripod that I can use for a pair of 15x binoculars. All comments good or bad are useful.

I will consider others, but this is where Im at so far. Your oppinions please.

Thanks,

Maestro

This may be in the bad comment category but have you thought of adding a gorilla pod as a backup? I'd have one with me to use on a tree limb or whatever else was handy. They don't weigh too much and are only $50 or so from Doug. They only weigh 8.5 ounces and will support up to 6.5 lbs.

http://www.cameralandny.com/tripods/gorillapod.pl?page=gorillapodslrzoom

Of course they won't serve as a primary tripod but the weight difference may have you thinking more about where to find tree limbs to attatch to....................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maestro-the tripod I've used for about 7 years now with my 15 Swaro's is the Slik 444 Sport that coupled with a White head and I am very happy.

Personally I've tried the pistol grip thingy's and went away from them fairly quickly as did the others that I know that tried them.

Lastly for long periods of glassing give this a try, I took a piece of latigo and cut it into something the size of a large pizza (I need to measure it some time). I use it as a butt pad for all my glassing, it allows one to keep the buns out of the rocks/snow/cactus etc.

It works like a charm and I just wrap it up around the tripod legs when it is is the pack.

Good luck to ya on this, the world of big eye glass is just about unbelievable!

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
M
maestro Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
DJ: that is one weird looking thing. Pretty cool. Im sure it has its purpose.

Mark: Im going to take a look at the 444.

Anyone familiar with bogen 724b or 728b.
www.bogenimaging.us 3.1 pounds, aluminum and about $125.00 legs only. I figure close to 4pounds with head.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
This is probably a dumb ?, but what is latigo?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Latigo is a type of leather that is tanned to be somewhat stretchy.

I use a bogan all aluminum tripod (can't recall the number) and a ball type head- I HATE pistol grips- been there, done that. Once you use the lightweight ball head- you will not go back to the pistol grip- at least not the manfrotto one.

I can stand and look through mine but barely and I'm 5'6"

I use a padded stadium type pad that has a back and two straps

that allow for some back support when leaning back. Probably not

much heavier than the piece of latigo.

I am going to upgrade, but it will be to carbon fiber- these are plenty tough and strong- don't worry about that.

Last edited by dennisinaz; 04/13/07.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (21, 6mmCreedmoor, 35, 808outdoors, 1Longbow, 7 invisible), 14,466 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,108
Posts18,541,926
Members74,057
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.