Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Illumination In The Flatwoods by Joe Hutto.
What can I say? Got turkeys on the brain!

Brian

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by docost99
Illumination In The Flatwoods by Joe Hutto.
What can I say? Got turkeys on the brain!

docost, Lovett Williams was a turkey biologist in Florida. I read his books and bought cassette tapes (yes tapes!).
His emphasis was on understanding the turkeys biology/behavior and basically getting in the way of that behavior.
I've taken a lot of turkeys because of his advice.
My favorite tactic is the scratch. Scratch scratch pick(hesitation), scratch scratch pick,... sound you make with hand on dry leaves as you hunt. It will fool Tom.
lovett williams

Last edited by Southern_WI_Savage; 01/29/19.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He's got seven empty loops in the front of his cartridge belt. I wonder if he shot the tiger 13 times? Six in the rifle and seven from the belt. The cartridges in the front are easiest to reach. You wouldn't think he was hunting with them empty.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I'm reading 'Safari" by Elmer Keith. It took a few years, but I finally found a copy I could buy without needing a cosigner.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
“How to Remodel Your Bathroom” by Lowe’s, Home Depot or your friendly neighborhood plumber. Not as exciting as the stuff you guys are reading but it can be pretty edgy stuff when you have to get it done in a one bath house.

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Re-reading Alan Furst's "The Polish Officer." Sad, but true. If any country (with possible exception of "Kurdistan") has been betrayed by its "friends and neighbors" more than Poland, I'm not aware of it. Furst almost always gets his guns right, which is more than 99.9% of fiction writers can say....we won't even speak of Hollywood.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Savageupnorth
Not sure if this has come here yet. "The Rifle in America" by Philip B. Sharpe 1938. I have 1995 reprint by NRA for The firearms Classic Library so pages I mention will be for that edition. Pages 315 to 340 cover Savage thru 1938. Pretty good info although some is quoted from catalogs. Covers all Savage rifles in addition to 1895 - 99s. He has personal conversations (quoted) with Newton about his intentions for the .250 Savage cartridge (100 grain bullets) and Savage's different direction (3000 fps with 87 grain). A good read from almost 40 years before Murray's book.

I have had this book on the shelf for a good 10-12 years now. One of the best references for pre-1938 American rifles I've found in terms of general features and variations.

As long as there's still lead in the air, there's still hope!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mesa
Re-reading Alan Furst's "The Polish Officer." Sad, but true. If any country (with possible exception of "Kurdistan") has been betrayed by its "friends and neighbors" more than Poland, I'm not aware of it. Furst almost always gets his guns right, which is more than 99.9% of fiction writers can say....we won't even speak of Hollywood.

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike. I went and ordered a copy off Amazon. I've read a few of Furst's novels but somehow that one got by me. Excellent writer who really captures the flavor of pre-war and wartime Europe.

Another of my all time favorites is Philip Kerr. His flawed anti-hero Bernie Gunther is a man of the times, surviving as a civilian police inspector within Nazi Germany, coerced into a stint in the SS during the war, and his misadventures post-war while trying to evade his past. Real page turners. I anxiously await each new book. (Note: if you want to sample him- and you should- do read them in chronological order. Each novel is capable of standing alone, but the enjoyment is enhanced if taken in order.) Kerr is another writer who gets his guns right, but most of that stuff is limited to German pistols.

The one writer who is flawless about getting his gun stuff right because he's a gun loony in real life (and writes occasional bits for The American Rifleman) is Stephen Hunter. If you've never read any of his stuff (which should also be taken in chronological order) get thee hence to the library/bookstore/Amazon.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Stephen Hunter👍👍

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going through the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey/ Maturin historical novels. Had read them piecemeal but am now doin' it scientific like, 1st thru 21st. Just about to start "The Ionian Mission", number 8 in the series. Naval yearns following the two main characters in the Napoleonic wars era including our war with the English in 1812. Frigate fights, spies and all sorts of neat stuff. Excellent writer, outstanding characters.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jim Corbett for the umphteen time. I never get tired of his writings. Allan Eckert is another favorite.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Picked this up at a yard sale recently,love the old black and white pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going through the Hornblower series for about the fourth time or so. smile

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Skidrow
Going through the Hornblower series for about the fourth time or so. smile

If you enjoy that George, check out O'Brian if you haven't already.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Carry The Wind - Terry C. Johnston. About the Golden Age of fur trapping in the Rockies. First of a trilogy.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, gnoaahh, I have read (and hope to read more of) the Bernie Gunther series. Good stuff; careful research makes good historic fiction!

kenster99, I love Jim Bond's HUGE mulie. I hate his GARISH early Weatherby; makes me ashamed to be one of those "California hunters." So glad that "California style" died out....

Neat pics; thanks for posting!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
That rifle does have some bling to it. Check out the guy with the deer head stuck in his Buick grill. License plate from North Hollywood, 1956!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wyo1895
He's got seven empty loops in the front of his cartridge belt. I wonder if he shot the tiger 13 times? Six in the rifle and seven from the belt. The cartridges in the front are easiest to reach. You wouldn't think he was hunting with them empty.

The caption says one shot from a 22HP. The Blue Tiger
[Linked Image]

"Every day above ground is a good day."
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by S99VG
“How to Remodel Your Bathroom” by Lowe’s, Home Depot or your friendly neighborhood plumber. Not as exciting as the stuff you guys are reading but it can be pretty edgy stuff when you have to get it done in a one bath house.

I'm in the middle of a bathroom remodel too. Start tiling Monday after a gun show tomorrow. Lots of work, but I'm glad to have a winter project. This kind of ambition is very scarce once the heat sets in down here.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
maybe the caption lied

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

458 members (222Sako, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 44 invisible), 1,883 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,375
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.