Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
As we all know, the 300 H&H is the real "king".

HR IC

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Of course, everyone has a favorite, but why? Rather than go back to cavemen throwing rocks, you only need to start at a 30-06. Not a magnum, but certainly a contender. Next comes the first real magnum called the H&H. More punch than the ‘06 but not quite the king. The H&H gave birth to the king the 300 Weatherby magnum.

In a search to find something bigger, plenty tried with warbirds and stuff not realizing that the 300 Winchester came after the Weatherby and didn’t really become “King.” The 30-378 ones along and pushed the 30 caliber bullets to 5% higher velocity with the assistance of 20% more powder.

Remington decides to get into the game with the UltraMag and has a little less performance than the 30-378 but does it witbout a belt. This is still too much powder for the slight increase in velocity.

Add some heat and render all the fat from frying pan and add a bit of Creedmoor philosophy, and you have to recognize the true King is the Weatherby. It can still get a 180 grain bullet to 3200 FPS, more than adequate for the best performance with the least amount of powder to accomplish the desired effect in the 30 caliber.

The 300 Win and H&H are not enough of too much, the Ultra Mag and 30-378 are too much of not enough, leaving the Weatherby seated perfectly in the middle...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
DX247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by TJAY
My 300 RUM in Wy. in 2016. Bridger-Teton wilderness.

[Linked Image]

Great post , thanks for sharing … what Bullet did you use?

Last edited by Cpl_Austin; 02/01/19.
D
DX247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Of course, everyone has a favorite, but why? Rather than go back to cavemen throwing rocks, you only need to start at a 30-06. Not a magnum, but certainly a contender. Next comes the first real magnum called the H&H. More punch than the ‘06 but not quite the king. The H&H gave birth to the king the 300 Weatherby magnum.

In a search to find something bigger, plenty tried with warbirds and stuff not realizing that the 300 Winchester came after the Weatherby and didn’t really become “King.” The 30-378 ones along and pushed the 30 caliber bullets to 5% higher velocity with the assistance of 20% more powder.

Remington decides to get into the game with the UltraMag and has a little less performance than the 30-378 but does it witbout a belt. This is still too much powder for the slight increase in velocity.

Add some heat and render all the fat from frying pan and add a bit of Creedmoor philosophy, and you have to recognize the true King is the Weatherby. It can still get a 180 grain bullet to 3200 FPS, more than adequate for the best performance with the least amount of powder to accomplish the desired effect in the 30 caliber.

The 300 Win and H&H are not enough of too much, the Ultra Mag and 30-378 are too much of not enough, leaving the Weatherby seated perfectly in the middle...

I prefer to be in the Driver's seat with my 300 RUM and some would rather ride shotgun with a 300 Win Mag. but if you want to be seated in the middle with your Weatherby thats ok, to each his own.

We all have our own preference and this Topic is all about 30 Caliber Magnum's that have the performance that stands above the others. So Load em up and let the games begin …

' Hornady ', a major player in this game … made the statement that the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum is
" Besting the Case Capacity of the 300 Weatherby by 13% and that of the 300 Win. Mag. by 20%

Last edited by Cpl_Austin; 02/01/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]
300WM, 300PRC 225gr. ELD-M, 30 Nosler 210 VLD Hunting

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Cpl_Austin

My choice for King of the ' 30 Caliber Magnum's ' would have to be the ' 300 Remington Ultra Magnum '
My Rifle of choice for this Cartridge is the ' Remington 700 Long Range '
It has a 26" Heavy Barrel and can launch any size bullet that you can feed it .
My latest Load for it is the :
….. Hornady 200gr. ELD-X
….. 93gr. Retumbo
….. 3,100fps.+
….. 0.626 B.C.
With incredible Accuracy, Ballistics and Energy at point of Impact.
........................In terms of ballistics only, meaning MVs, forgetting about efficiencies aka 20% more powder gaining 5% more bullet speed or the other way around or whatever, the 30-378 is the king of the 30 cal magnums.

So when it comes right down to it, between a 300 Win, a 300 Wby, a 300 RUM, or the 30-378, more emphasis should be put on the rifle choice. Given average hunting ranges, if ya cannot kill em with the 300 Win, then you might not do too well with the 30-378 or with the others........

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I prefer to be in the Driver's seat with my 300 RUM and some would rather ride shotgun with a 300 Win Mag. but if you want to be seated in the middle with your Weatherby thats ok, to each his own.

We all have our own preference and this Topic is all about 30 Caliber Magnum's that have the performance that stands above the others. So Load em up and let the games begin …

' Hornady ', a major player in this game … made the statement that the 300 Remington Ultra Magnum is
" Besting the Case Capacity of the 300 Weatherby by 13% and that of the 300 Win. Mag. by 20%

3000 fps with a 150 grain bullet is hardly the "driver's seat."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
300 Weatherby has always been the king. Long live the King.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
.300 Wby with a 180 grain Nosler Partition at 3200 fps.

Or if you want to be different a .30 Gibbs.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

My old corkscrew barreled 300 Win Mag chunking 230gr Bergers at 2878 is a pretty serious steel wacking stick too Elk.

Trump Won!
IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Sorry, but you are not making your point well, I am talking real world. You are shooting targets, I am talking hunting. If we look at external ballistics and what is the best cartridge to get that, "Best" could be vague. Shooting a 300 RUM and 30-378 is brutal no matter how you cut it. A 180 grain bullet from a 300 Weatherby has made a serious hunting bullet travelling at varmint velocities. Making it go faster doesn't make it better.

The 300 WBY will still completely penetrate and elk at over 400 yards, all a 300 RUM or 30-378 will do, is hit the dirt harder on the other side...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

None of that matters if you aren't utilizing it. Your "driving" a 300 UM downloaded below 300 Weatherby performance. But if it makes you happy carry on.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 28lx

None of that matters if you aren't utilizing it. Your "driving" a 300 UM downloaded below 300 Weatherby performance. But if it makes you happy carry on.

Hell, you could beat that 150 load with an '06. Nothing like yankin' a few spark plug wires......which is fine, as long as you don't go to the drag strip and proclaim yourself king.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by specialK
3000fps must be your desired magic number?

A lot of bullets perform very well at the level.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Sorry, but you are not making your point well, I am talking real world. You are shooting targets, I am talking hunting. If we look at external ballistics and what is the best cartridge to get that, "Best" could be vague. Shooting a 300 RUM and 30-378 is brutal no matter how you cut it. A 180 grain bullet from a 300 Weatherby has made a serious hunting bullet travelling at varmint velocities. Making it go faster doesn't make it better.

The 300 WBY will still completely penetrate and elk at over 400 yards, all a 300 RUM or 30-378 will do, is hit the dirt harder on the other side...

Yep.

Definitions matter. Define "Best".

If I were to have only one .30 cal, to cover the vast majority of my NA hunting, it would probably be a 300 WSM.

The 300 RUM also has it's place, but it's far from optimum in many situations.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by specialK
3000fps must be your desired magic number?

A lot of bullets perform very well at the level.

Especially a FMJ with a BC of .358.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

For 20 some years my .30 Gibbs was my 30 caliber King. It kept my freezers full of elk and moose meet all of those years. However the best it would do is push the 180 grain Nosler Partitions out at 2990 fps.

But now it's status has been reduced to "Prince" in the shadow of the new King, my .300 Weatherby with it's 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets at 3248 fps.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by buffybr

For 20 some years my .30 Gibbs was my 30 caliber King. It kept my freezers full of elk and moose meet all of those years. However the best it would do is push the 180 grain Nosler Partitions out at 2990 fps.

But now it's status has been reduced to "Prince" in the shadow of the new King, my .300 Weatherby with it's 180 grain Barnes TTSX bullets at 3248 fps.

That is .300 H&H territory. What barrel length and powder did you use?

I have a Enfield 1917 chambered for the .30 Gibbs,also have the brass and dies.
[Linked Image]

Just have to get the stock bedded correctly.
[Linked Image]

The rifle.
[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
DX247 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Thats a really nice rifle , Thanks for posting the picture of it

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 007FJ, 204guy, 2500HD, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,085 guests, and 712 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,484
Posts18,508,827
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.