Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Buzz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I opened this box of Ballistic Tips this weekend and I don't know that I have ever seen bullets as tarnished as some of these. Many have a spot here and there and others are almost completely dark. It looks like some kind of chemical stain - anyone else ever seen this before? This was a factory sealed box

[Linked Image]

HR IC

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Contact Nosler with that pic. I bet they'll make it right.

I doubt it'll affect how they shoot, but I'm pretty sure that's not the image Nosler wants to present of their product.

Are you certain it's tarnish, or did some moly bullets get mixed in the bag?

Buzz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yondering

That's the thing - they don't really look like normal tarnish. I don't shoot moly and have never shot moly, so I don't know where that was come from.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
Contact Nosler with that pic. I bet they'll make it right.

I doubt it'll affect how they shoot, but I'm pretty sure that's not the image Nosler wants to present of their product.

Nope, told me it was a solvent gassing off the cardboard box. Tumble and shoot. See if I can dig up a pic.

Swifty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not that it matters but the solvent gassing would more likely be coming from the foam packing than the cardboard. Some foam products are manufactured with chemicals that will cause tarnishing if the foam is used too soon after manufacture. The tarnish is harmless just toss them in the tumbler if you want them to look like the others in the box.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Not that it matters but the solvent gassing would more likely be coming from the foam packing than the cardboard. Some foam products are manufactured with chemicals that will cause tarnishing if the foam is used too soon after manufacture. The tarnish is harmless just toss them in the tumbler if you want them to look like the others in the box.

Yep, agree. Who really gives a [bleep] if it was the cardboard or the foam. That’s what I was told by Nosler, no making it right, just tumble for 15-20 min. and shoot, which is what I did. They shot fine.

Swifty
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have a box of Accubonds that look similar. The tarnish actually has a rough texture. Did they say if you have to tumble for performance or just for cosmetics?

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have tumbled bullets with steel pins, makes them look new.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had several boxes of bullets that have contained tarnished bullets and they have all been Nosler, mostly Ballistic Tips and one box of Accubonds. Mine have never been as bad as yours though. I tend to load them first and shoot them at the range and they have all shot the same as the untarnished ones. But they certainly don't look very nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I have a box of Accubonds that look similar. The tarnish actually has a rough texture. Did they say if you have to tumble for performance or just for cosmetics?

Just cosmetics, I could have just used a little Iosso paste polish on a rag which worked great as the stuff came right off. Just didn’t feel like handling 250 bullets.

Swifty
IC B3

Buzz Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I threw them in the tumbler for an hour last night. Didn't really come off on most of themk. There are several that it actually changed the texture of the bullet. I'll just chunk those few and use the rest of them as practice rounds. I typically use Accubonds in that rifle but bought the BTs as an inexpensive practice round

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well if it didn’t come off, then I would take some pics and contact Nosler. Sounds different than my experience.

Swifty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those are not “tarnished”, if they were all in the box would similar. Clearly the Nosler rep didn’t understand the situation. They appear to be the Winchester Combined Technology bullets with a Lubaloy coating. These are made by Nosler for Winchester and were apparently accidently put in the box. Shoot them? Sure, but not in the same group as the others.

Last edited by DoubleRadius; 02/05/19.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yep... I agree with Double...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius
Those are not “tarnished”, if they were all in the box would similar. Clearly the Nosler rep didn’t understand the situation. They appear to be the Winchester Combined Technology bullets with a Lubaloy coating. These are made by Nosler for Winchester and were apparently accidently put in the box. Shoot them? Sure, but not in the same group as the others.

Since when does a a Combined Technology Ballistic Silver Tip have green tip?

https://www.nosler.com/ballistic-silvertip-bullet/

Polymer Silvertip prevents deformation in the magazine.

2 Lubalox ®Exterior Coating
Reduces fouling, pressure and friction between bullet and bore; provides longer barrel life, easier cleaning and enhanced accuracy.

Swifty
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by DoubleRadius

Since when does a a Combined Technology Ballistic Silver Tip have green tip?

https://www.nosler.com/ballistic-silvertip-bullet/

Polymer Silvertip prevents deformation in the magazine.

2 Lubalox ®Exterior Coating
Reduces fouling, pressure and friction between bullet and bore; provides longer barrel life, easier cleaning and enhanced accuracy.

They are loaded into boxes via automation..... although someone is probably feeding the machine.. and should have noticed.. mistakes happen in all manufacturing environments... Nosler is evidently not concerned as the coloration really doesn't hurt the performance... so who can blame them...

I'd admit tho, if I was running Nosler, a pic like that, it would be worth my time, just to unceremoniously send you a new box of bullets and let you keep the one with the tarnished bullets.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Seafire, worked as an automated machine mechanic for 25 years and understand screw ups. Which is why I stated this.
From my post above.

Well if it didn’t come off, then I would take some pics and contact Nosler. Sounds different than my experience.

So I still stand by that. What I was told to do worked for me, but obviously not for him. Also if Nosler sent me a mixed lot of CT bullets with the wrong tips in a batch of BT’s I would definitely expect them to make it right as Their QC screwed the pooch. I wouldn’t shoot them until I knew exactly what the screw up was. Again no matter what went wrong this one is on Nosler.

Swifty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CarolinaHunter
I have a box of Accubonds that look similar.

Same here. I just received a box of 7mm 160's that look just like the OP's picture.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Nosler should have replaced them. It is their packing so they should make sure things like that don't happen before the bullets are opened by you.

Poor customer service on Nosler's part in my opinion.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Maybe time to use another bullet maker. Others don't seem to have this issue as often.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

319 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 309coug, 17CalFan, 16penny, 37 invisible), 2,526 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,757
Posts18,514,881
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.