Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I haven't noticed anyone mentioning these yet, has anyone seen them? The number 2 contour barrel comes up a lot here, but I'm not sure about 24". Opinions?

http://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=BF18598

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bry
I haven't noticed anyone mentioning these yet, has anyone seen them? The number 2 contour barrel comes up a lot here, but I'm not sure about 24". Opinions?

Good move. I'd cut it to 22" however. I don't think it's yet available.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Bry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Bry

Agreed on the 22". The main thing keeping me from buying a Fieldcraft right now is that as soon as I do they'll release a version I'd rather have.

Last edited by Bry; 01/26/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bry
main thing keeping me from buying a Fieldcraft right now is that as soon as I do they'll release a version I'd rather have.

Bry, we're riding in the same boat. smile

But if you want a 6.5 Creedmoor and a #2 @ 22" or shorter, it's obviously an easy fix.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by Bry

Soon as I followed the link I thought of you.....and that you'd cut it at 22"!!!!!

I hunted with the cerakoted/green stocked/threaded 22" version this morning and I really like that rifle. If it hadn't been produced I'd already be contacting a Lipsey's dealer for this one.

Really a good deal for Lipsey's and Barrett...using a barrel contour/length they already had for the 6.5x55 long action....and giving another option for buyers.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
wish they would offer it in 7-08

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
B
Bry Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by drano 25

With the green stock. I don’t handload so the 6.5 would make more sense, I was tempted on the other exclusive but would really prefer not to cut one down. I almost picked up a 6 Creed at Cabela’s, on sale and with points and gift cards would have been about $1350. If it had been a 6.5 I’d have bought it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Bry
Originally Posted by drano 25

With the green stock. I don’t handload so the 6.5 would make more sense, I was tempted on the other exclusive but would really prefer not to cut one down. I almost picked up a 6 Creed at Cabela’s, on sale and with points and gift cards would have been about $1350. If it had been a 6.5 I’d have bought it.

7-08, green stock, 22" #2 would be my preference.

Don't speculate when you don't know, and don't second guess when you do.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Really a good deal for Lipsey's and Barrett...using a barrel contour/length they already had for the 6.5x55 long action....and giving another option for buyers.

I have seen this thought mentioned several times here of just "using the barrel from the 6.5x55".

It doesn't really work that way in the Barrett process. There are no pre-turned gunsmith blank barrels lying around.

Every barrel starts as a large-diameter straight cylindrical blank as it enters the barrel machining cell. No barrel is just a shortened or lengthened or threaded version of another. Each is a unique barrel contour machining program for that specific part number for each respective model.

So, straight cylinder blank enters the cell, finished barrel comes out at the other end.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Tennessee
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I have seen this thought mentioned several times here of just "using the barrel from the 6.5x55".

It doesn't really work that way in the Barrett process. There are no pre-turned gunsmith blank barrels lying around.

Every barrel starts as a large-diameter straight cylindrical blank as it enters the barrel machining cell. No barrel is just a shortened or lengthened or threaded version of another. Each is a unique barrel contour machining program for that specific part number for each respective model.

So, straight cylinder blank enters the cell, finished barrel comes out at the other end.

Interesting! I was under the assumption that everything was pre-turned to the specific contour. I didn't realize they did the contouring in house. I'm assuming that everything is reamed/rifled before they get it or do they do that as well?

...at any rate, I'm assuming (again) that the contour is the same as the long action contour? If so, are they really doing anything different from any long action barrel other than cutting the chamber?

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Any idea when this may be available?

One interesting thing is the listed weight for this rifle. The weight is the exact same as my Forbes 270 (unscoped with a 24" #2 contour barrel). This makes sense based on the weight of the new limited run green stocked #1 contour 22" barrel models. I realize the smaller bore diameter will account for some of the added weight, but this seems heavy. Is Barrett's action that much heavier than the NULA/Forbes? I am not griping over a few ounces, just curious if there is a drastic difference with the design of the actions? The weight difference in Melvin's model 20 vs 24 is 4 ounces and his advertised overall rifle weight is 8 ounces.

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 02/04/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There are 41 available at Lipsey's right now.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Looks like a great rifle. While I have no need of a 6.5, if I did buy one I'd prefer the 24 inch barrel. Ymmv.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Wsh Barrett would offer longer barrels on all the short actions I have no interest in a 21 inch barrel at all

Last edited by grumpy7904; 02/05/19.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I really like the number 2 barrel contour. I'm ready for a 22 Creedmoor with a number 2 barrel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,663
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.