Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I like my PSA 6.5 Creedmoor. It shoots better than either of my .308 AR-10's, and after some tuning, works reliably.

Once obvious gripe is there's a lot of slop between the upper & lower, at the takedown pins. Has anyone ever identified accuracy improvement, by reducing this play?

If worthwhile, does someone make oversized pins, that could tighten up the fit?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That slop is a relatively easy thing to fix, so i do it on any of my ARs that need it. Don't know if it really improves accuracy much but it sure doesn't hurt.

I bed the upper and lower together with "ultra black" RTV from the auto parts store. I use that stuff instead of hard epoxy because I get better results removing all of the rattle. Use release agent on the upper, and apply the RTV to the lower in the curve at the rear and at the front between the magwell and front pin.

Using some method of forcing the upper and lower apart while the rtv cures is important to a tight fit. I use an O-ring around the front lug of the upper. This results in a rock solid fit after the RTV cures, and the RTV has just enough compliance that you can still get the takedown pins in and out easily.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Why not just use an acu wedge?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

If you're asking me, that's an option too but I like the feel of a bedded receiver set better. It's only a couple minutes of work, not like it's a big deal to do.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
That slop is a relatively easy thing to fix, so i do it on any of my ARs that need it. Don't know if it really improves accuracy much but it sure doesn't hurt.

I bed the upper and lower together with "ultra black" RTV from the auto parts store. I use that stuff instead of hard epoxy because I get better results removing all of the rattle. Use release agent on the upper, and apply the RTV to the lower in the curve at the rear and at the front between the magwell and front pin.

Using some method of forcing the upper and lower apart while the rtv cures is important to a tight fit. I use an O-ring around the front lug of the upper. This results in a rock solid fit after the RTV cures, and the RTV has just enough compliance that you can still get the takedown pins in and out easily.

Any pics?

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

If you're asking me, that's an option too but I like the feel of a bedded receiver set better. It's only a couple minutes of work, not like it's a big deal to do.

I was just asking as a general question. I don't hear a lot about them here. However, I use them and they work great. I've seen groups shrink a little by using the accu wedge. Their main purpose is to fix upper to lower slop though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have a few of the Accuwedges and they take out the slop fine, I wonder if a few layers of electrical tape betweent he upper and lower would do the same as bedding.

Dave

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
okay, had not heard of an accu wedge before; need to try one smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Some of the SME's on another forum talked about them breaking down an having the potential to come apart and get in the trigger.

I have had one in a particular gun for over 10 years now. I call BS on them breaking down but I don't use them in any of my other guns. The sloppy fit is no problem except in your mind. If it bothers you then use one or bed it. Or slide an O ring over the front lug on the upper.

I think rost495 said bedding a gun only showed slightly better accuracy at 300 yards.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
National Match Shim

http://www.wheeldiamond.com/nationalmatchshim.htm

Takes 15 minutes or so to fit to your upper and lower for a fit as tight as you want.

Clarence

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I feel the need, I bed ours with Steel Bed or JB.

They feel better.

I've done quite a bit of shooting, as did John Feamster in the 90s.

My take, that at 300 yards, you got about a bit better group size overall, IIRC, 10 shot groups shrunk maybe 1/4 inch or a bit more. They did become much rounder though and shot dispersion was much more centered rather than who knows how far each shot might stray from the very middle so to speak. Hard to really describe and I dont' have any of the photos anymore of all the testing.

That said, I would only do it on a "match" gun, not a hunting gun, 3 gun gun etc... just strictly were the most accuracy mattered.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Any pics?

This one looks uglier in the pic than in person. You can't tell it's bedded when the receivers are pinned together.
rost495, why are you saying to only do this to a "match" gun? I've never found a reason not to do it to all of them, if only because I prefer my guns not rattle.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It makes such little difference and I could care less about the fit of the gun, looks of the gun or some minor slop in the gun. Thats the only reason, well that and you have mated it permanently basically, ( until removing the bedding) to whatever lower you have it on. Not that I have a shortage of lowers, but I don't always have as many lowers running as I have uppers.

It takes a bit of work granted, not much, but enough such that the results to me aren't worth the effort.

Thats about it.

How you run yours are cool with me too!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by rost495
Thats the only reason, well that and you have mated it permanently basically, ( until removing the bedding) to whatever lower you have it on.

That makes sense rost. This quoted bit though reminded me of another reason for using RTV instead of hard epoxy - there's still some interchangeability with different uppers. Not all will fit or be tight of course, but some of them will. Several of mine bedded this way get swapped around.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
An O-ring over the front lug and an accuwedge beats not having to smell RTV and put up with the mess.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Oh please. If a dab of RTV bothers you that much, stay in the kitchen. Are we talking about working on guns here, or having a tea party?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
RTV does wonders as a gas seal on the charging handle though...

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Calm down there Fluffy, I deal with the crap everyday and I can't find any reason to use it on my guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
RTV does wonders as a gas seal on the charging handle though...

I'd like to know more about this...assuming you're serious, of course.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
release agent on upper where charging handle locks in place, RTV on charging handle, close handle barely, with backward tension on it, let cure. Trim as need be. Does a good job if you have a wind blowing in your face for sure...

I'm sure someone will have pictures to post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 219DW, 21, 204guy, 10Glocks, 62 invisible), 2,576 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,464
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.