M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Anyone try their:

BOS 5160 High Carbon Steel?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Or a drop point Ranger?

[Linked Image]

Pro with Micarta ans S30V
[Linked Image]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 02/07/19.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
I carry a small folding Buck pocketknife everyday with me here in Afghanistan. You'd be surprised at the crap a weatherman has to cut. LOL! I had an Old Timer when I first got here, but I left in my laundry and never got it back. Out of all the pocketknives I've had, so far the Buck is my favorite one, and sharpest.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wabigoon;
Good evening to you my friend, I trust that this finds you and your fine family well and warm enough in this cold snap.

Way back when the earth was green - a decade now I see - we had occasion to take the girls down to Spokane on a shopping weekend and ended up touring the Buck factory.

It was in the dark days of the 2009 Recession and they were working 4 days only as I recall, so I believe we did the tour on a Thursday which would have been their last day of the week.

After a lifetime of working in production facilities I was struck with the overall cleanliness of the plant as well as the attitude of the crew. They were polite and appeared to me to be happy to be there - again at that point in my life I was in middle management and trained in QA, Safety and HR. All that to say if they were weren't happy to be there, they were doing a most excellent job of faking it. wink

This was back in the days when some of their knives were made off shore but they were talking about reducing or eliminating that when we toured.

I recall telling the girls I'd buy them each a knife of their choosing as long as it was built there in Idaho - which they agreed was only right and proper.

Of course I picked up a couple too since the factory discount was pretty good as I recall.
[Linked Image]

I'd had a few Buck knives previous to that tour and have picked up at least 4 more since then that I can think of off the top of my head. That trip was my introduction to their Vantage Pro line of folders as well as Paul Bos heat treating and since that trip there's not been a hunt I've been on where one of these hasn't been in my back pocket.
[Linked Image]

They do work as advertised. grin
[Linked Image]

Funny how time flies by isn't it wabigoon - the one beside me is now married for more than 2 years and the other one will graduate university with her first degree in a couple months.

Thanks for stirring up some grand memories tonight wabigoon, I truly appreciate the respite from a bit of a vexing work day coupled with this seemingly unending cold and wind.

All the best to you all as we head into spring and calving season for you and the other cattlemen here at the 'Fire.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 02/07/19. Reason: added for clarity - hopefully

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kinda like having this one, 1970's with sheath, box, & etc.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 700LH; 02/07/19.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cool thread. When I was growing up my parents had a small country store on the way to the lake, we sold beer, chips , fishing lures, bait and a few sporting goods. We had Buck knives in a fancy display case. I used to spend a lot of time looking at those knives and dreaming of owning one. I didn't have enough money to buy one. Finally my parents gave me a 102 personal for Christmas and I still own it.
Great memories

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by irfubar
Cool thread. When I was growing up my parents had a small country store on the way to the lake, we sold beer, chips , fishing lures, bait and a few sporting goods. We had Buck knives in a fancy display case. I used to spend a lot of time looking at those knives and dreaming of owning one. I didn't have enough money to buy one. Finally my parents gave me a 102 personal for Christmas and I still own it.
Great memories

It took me 37 years of wanting a Buck knife.
I could have afforded one as an adult, but I was afraid I would just loose a knife, like I do ballpoint pens.

But I can keep a knife, like car keys and wallet.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I have always admired Buck knives. But in 1985 I found a deal on the Schrade LB7 for $10 each and bought four of them. I lost one somewhere over the years, gave one to my son, and keep two in a box with some other good knives and old photos. They have dressed many deer and several elk.

I once had a fondness for the Buck "gent" SS pocket knife. I have worn out and discarded several. The bolsters loosened and the blades sharpened away to a toothpick.

I now carry exclusively a Gerber STL 2.0 1911017A pocket folder. It seems that I never keep one around long enough anymore to wear it out. At $12, it does not break my heart if it gets dropped in the mud and lost forever cutting twine while feeding livestock. I have three or four spares stashed in case of loss.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Own several from the big skinner that I hammer through the pelvis of deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, caribou etc and several 110's and Trappers. All good products. Also a few Gerber's and some other brands that have arrived as gifts. My one misfortune is I once saw a great looking set of Buck kitchen knives, cleaver, and block years back that I could not quite afford at the moment. Not seen a similar set since, so I wish I had done the deed when it was there.

I did eventually acquire a Foster Bros cleaver at a swap meet for $20. It's a serious beast. Had about 6 offers to double or triple my investment as I packed it around for another couple hours. Not used it yet, but it's still not for sale.

Always have a Buck folder and a Leatherman on the belt. Damn near lost them to TSA last go around, but they let me package them up to mail home on the spot.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/08/19.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Got my first Buck knife (a Stockman) in 1973, my second (a 105) in 1976 - never stopped accumulating them. These are most of my 110 Folding Hunters (1968 - 1988). I use the 118 most of the time for deer.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dont collect knives, but I do have 3 that are put-up and not used. Thanks to one of the Campfire members, one of them is a mint Buck 110, 3 pin, with the Buck USA upside down, made from '67-72. Scabbard was included, also.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought my first Buck in 78, a 311 Trapper. I still have it. Carried it until the late 80's. Carried a Swiss Army Mechanic up until a few years ago. Back to carrying an old 309 I pick up on eBay.

James

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Its pretty easy cutting through the hip joint on a deer or elk with a knife.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Clip point ain’t my favorite, but I love a Buck.

It’s an American icon.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In memory of my father, I always carry some of his gear afield when I go hunting. One of my prized possessions is Dad's 110 Folding Hunter. Just a good, rock solid knife. I can't even venture to guess how many deer have been gutted between Dad and I with that well used, beat up old 110. Some things are just too darned good to leave in the cabinet collecting dust. This is one of them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Clip point ain’t my favorite, but I love a Buck.

It’s an American icon.

The custom shop can provide you with a nifty drop point

Sam......

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
In my Navy days, 68-72, it seemed everyone in a blackshoe rate (at least in SEA) wore a 110 on his belt. As an Airedale, of course, I had to be different and carried a custom Batangas balisong.

My first exwife gave me a 110 in 1974. I used it and abused it quite a few years. At some point, my older son asked for it and I gave it to him. He sent it to Buck and got a new blade, looks like a new knife.

My current EDC is an all stainless 722 which works well for about anything I need a knife for on a daily basis. I have a few other knives, probably 10 or 12, I don’t know, several of which I prefer for those occasions when I have to dress up a bit, but the 722 gets the most mileage.

Now you guys have got me wanting another 110.

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've used Buck knives for well over 30 years. The 110, 112, and 119 are all excellent knives.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Some steel info here, seems well-done.

https://www.bladehq.com/cat--Best-Knife-Steel-Guide--3368

--- Kid Rock 2022

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I also carry my Dad’s 110 in memory of him. Can someone explain the significance of the 2 pin vs 3 pin? Also, I see discussion on various steel in the 110s; is there something on the knives that indicate what steel? I don’t see anything on mine. Thank you. JM

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 260madman, 47 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.