Print Thread
Hop To
G
Griffon Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I just recently purchased a S&W M&P 2.0 Compact 4” in 40 S&W. I haven’t loaded for a handgun in many years and then it was .38/.357. I plan to start handloading for my new pistol and I’m thinking 180 grain plated RN for plinking/practice and 180 grain HP for concealed carry. What powder/bullet combinations will work best?
Thanks
Paul

If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room
GB1

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I just bought the same pistol - the sale was too much for me to resist smile
I'm partial to slower powders and nothing heavier than 180gr. My favorite powder is Longshot, mainly because of availability. Brass is Starline. Missouri Bullet Company fodder, 155gr and now 170gr coated. I always start with Hodgdon's load data, run them over my Crony and go from there.
I like Speer Gold Dot for SD bullets now, 155gr, because they make prettier mushrooms. I was a Hornady XTP fan for years, so I like pushing a 155gr @1200fps. But I don't think that is necessary with the Gold Dot and I may go to 180gr @1000fps for a change with the M&P.
I like Winchester primers best when loading on my Dillon as CCI gives me a bit more trouble priming sometimes.

Last edited by dla; 02/09/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My powder of choice was Accurate's True Blue until I used up the 6 pounds I had on hand. Then it was Auto Comp for the next 3 pounds and then Power Pistol for two pounds. There were a couple one pound canisters of other powders used here and there too. My next batch will probably be 231/HP-38 as I have something like 10 pounds of that on hand. Needless to say, I don't have a preferred powder and what I have used has worked well enough for me.

I use a lot of Berry's Bullets as I found a bunch for cheap. There was a large mix of bullet weights and types and I am now on the 180 gr bullets after loading up everything lighter. I shot a few thousand lead bullets too with mostly no problems. The XD did not like the bullet meant for the 40 S&W but never bobbled with the one designed for the 44/40. Go figure. My last batch was with Hornady's 180 gr HAP bullet.

I don't load my SD loads, I have Remington Golden Saber, Winchester Ranger, Hornady XTP, and Federal HST coming out of my ears. I choose to not purposely use handloads for self defense- not due to possible criminal or civil repercussions but for possible civil action against the manufacturer if the ammunition fails. It isn't likely but Murphy is my wingman and if I am so unfortunate to get into a gunfight, odds are good that something significant and unexpected is going to also happen. I know how deep my pockets are and it is not enough for a lawyer to take my case on a contingency basis.

Brass is whatever I have on hand and pretty much can be said regarding primers. I don't push the envelope much so pressures tend to be reasonable. I've used more Wolf and especially Sellier & Bellot primers than everything else combined. The latter I was picking up $5/brick less than the major brands at normal pricing, up to $10 less on sale. I stock up when I can.

Last edited by woodmaster81; 02/09/19.
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Btw, if you will drive those 180gr Gold Dolts hard, you'll get some pretty mushrooms. And we all know that pretty mushrooms are the goal smile

I don't see the need for plated bullets now that coated bullets are available.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It is pretty easy to load for. I have used a gamut of bullets with largely Bullseye powder as it was available in the great powder drought. Loading for USPSA I ran the 180’s at 950 for a very soft shooting round.

NRA Life Member
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don’t load the 40 very much. But when I do. I like power pistol. Tried several other powders but this seems to be the best. I’m loading for a USP 40.... Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
be careful when loading as to o.a.l. and bullet setback. setback can increase pressures a whole lot.
I am an old fahrt, and have some 155gr silvertips at 1200fps i am fond of.
for screwing around it kind of goes to 180grain bullets.
power pistol works pretty good for higher end loads.
i have used a lot of accurate mainly because of fine metering.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I load for a few of my .40's and have come up with a formula for most of my shooting needs.

I use any of the faster burning powders for low velocity bunny loads. For full on loads it's Power Pistol all the way.

Good luck and you'll have fun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (AlleghenyMountain, 7887mm08, 300_savage, 44mc, 2500HD, Amos63, 8 invisible), 1,666 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,083
Posts18,501,677
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.