Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So, if a family of 4 would fly into Anchorage and rent up to a 30' RV for a 2ish week vacation, where do I start?

I bought the Milepost book and that has been a great starting point. We are into National Parks, wildlife and fishing. Whales would be cool as would Halibut fishing. We enjoy meeting and getting to know locals. Great Alaskan Holidays seems to have a big selection of RV's

We don't mind touristy attractions when we visit a place for the first time. We are thinking Kenai Penninsula and Denali to concentrate our effots.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
don't miss Denali, as you are leaning... you can halibut fish out of Homer, but I would lean more to Seward. Don't forget to sleep at night, your body will want to stay awake due to so much daylight.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Wow sounds epic!

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would also work in a "glacier tour" out of Whittier, though I never took one. I had my own sport boat in Kodiak for several years to keep me busy fishing and gawking. I really miss it!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sounds like a great time. The first time we did that I was not prepared for the crowded RV parks. LOTS of RV's. Whale watching out of Seward is a lot of fun.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When you get to ANC, check the weather forecast and turn away from bad weather.......seek Denali if a chance of seeing the mountain.....avoid KP if rainy etc.....I'd take the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward or halibut fish [pro-fish-n-sea charters] if the seas are forecast to be kindly.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by VernAK
When you get to ANC, check the weather forecast and turn away from bad weather.......seek Denali if a chance of seeing the mountain.....avoid KP if rainy etc.....I'd take the Kenai Fjords tour out of Seward or halibut fish [pro-fish-n-sea charters] if the seas are forecast to be kindly.

+1

If Denali weather is good, dash up there as it likely won't last very long.

Bring good rain gear so weather does not keep you in the hard-shell tent.

Plan enough time and have reasonable expectations of what you can accomplish. Crashes occur in the summer because people feel they need to get somewhere after a long day, and drive tired.

Have fun.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do the loop in your RV....parks-rich....lots to see...all different. 800 miles ...like driving from newyork city to Atlanta....only , no people !

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I realize this isn’t necessarily applicable to what you’re asking and for that I apologize. If it’s in your budget, I always encourage folks coming up to visit to try and go somewhere off the road system for at least a couple days. This state is completely different when you get away from the crowds on the hot top.

Because through judicious handloading and a bold sense of optimism, you can make anything into an .88 Magnum - once! 😁 - chesterpulley
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The smaller the motor home the easier it will be to get in and out of campgrounds. See if you can rent one that they will let you take on the Denali highway.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And whatever you do, pull over frequently to let faster vehicles by. It is supposed to be illegal to hold up more than 5 vehicles. They cause a lot of the grief because there will always be someone too impatient to wait for a safe spot to pass. You may or may not be involved in the accident they cause.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It may not fit into your budget or time allotment but the Kantishna Roadhouse (private lodge just on the west side of the Mt. McKinley main road) is a wonderful place to spend a couple of days and truly see McKinley.

Vern's recommendation for the Kenai Fjords tour is spot on. Watch the weather and be flexible around it if possible. Homer, although frequently crowded during tourist season, is a very nice place to visit. Depending on the time of the summer you might want to treat the family to a float trip on the upper Kenai or upper Kasilof when down on the Kenai Peninsula.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There used to be a pretty nice wildlife museum in Anchor Point, not sure it is still there, but worth a stop if you are heading to Homer.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Have done it twice with young kids... Kenia to Denali a great experience. Milepost was pretty accurate for good info/tips. It is a great experience, weather can change on a dime (July both trips) but that's part of Alaska. Fishing was great and the scenery is amazing. Most campgrounds with recent heavy bear activity are posted. Enjoy the journey and bring your camera.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by VernAK

Seward is as beautiful as anywhere in Alaska. The Glacier tours and Halibut are a great time.
I'm thinking try to develop a plan based on what you want to do. Denali is it's own direction and you need a reservation to take the trip, and I think for the campground. Then on the way back down hit the Denali highway. Wonderful trip. We loved to camp there. There's some nice fishing as you go along as well. Keep an eye out for Caribou. Then come back around and stay in Glen Allen and then come through Palmer and check out the Caribou and the Musk ox. (Musk ox Farm) and finally on to Anc. See what you want to see there, then on to Seward and hit the The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center it's on the right about an hour south of Anchorage. Keep an eye out for sheep on the side of the road. On to Seward. Glacier tours, Halibut, Salmon, depending on when you are there. You can fish from the beach in areas. Make a plan, decide what you want to do. Good rain gear is really important. Everyone has their favorite. Nothing keeps you totally dry, but it can sure help keep the fish slime off. Plan on wearing good footwear. Binoculars, camera. Make some memories.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Any issues carrying concealed? We do not plan on being in Canada at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions! It is a trip that I wanted to do since I was a teen!

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
One thing you might try is looking in Craigslist for an individual who is looking to rent out their motorhome.
We did this in 2010 for 3 weeks. It was waaay cheaper than renting from ABC or CruiseAmerica.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
One thing you might try is looking in Craigslist for an individual who is looking to rent out their motorhome.
We did this in 2010 for 3 weeks. It was waaay cheaper than renting from ABC or CruiseAmerica.

the 2 times we went and rented an rv.….it was through abc….rent it well in advance and you can get it for about half price.....bob

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Any issues carrying concealed? We do not plan on being in Canada at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions! It is a trip that I wanted to do since I was a teen!

Open or concealed carry is legal. Flying in and out is no issue with the Anchorage airport.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kid0917
I would also work in a "glacier tour" out of Whittier, though I never took one. I had my own sport boat in Kodiak for several years to keep me busy fishing and gawking. I really miss it!

Exit Glacier just outside Seward is a real hands-on glacier experience for free. The glacier tours are pricey.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,167 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,354
Posts18,487,968
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.